Rank The Albums!

I've got both of Martin Courtney's solo albums and like them quite a bit. He sneakily released that last one and it just recently hit my radar. Haven't gotten around to too much of Bleeker's stuff though.
I need to pick up the Courtney albums I haven’t gotten around to it yet though but I really enjoyed them. I own a few Bleeker albums and seems like he’s the biggest Deadhead in the bunch they seemed very influenced by Jerry & Co.

I also really enjoy Matt Mondanile Ducktails records prior to all the unpleasantness coming out.

I need to pick up the Courtney albums I haven’t gotten around to it yet though but I really enjoyed them. I own a few Bleeker albums and seems like he’s the biggest Deadhead in the bunch they seemed very influenced by Jerry & Co.

I also really enjoy Matt Mondanile Ducktails records prior to all the unpleasantness coming out.

Ducktails is up my alley on paper, I just hadn’t discovered him until after the unpleasantness so it stayed low on my priority list. Are there any must listens?

Ducktails is up my alley on paper, I just hadn’t discovered him until after the unpleasantness so it stayed low on my priority list. Are there any must listens?
My fave is Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics

If you enjoy lo-fi guitar instrumentals his earlier album are a total vibe but this one is where he brought some pop sensibility (and vocals) with him to the studio.

My fave is Ducktails III: Arcade Dynamics

If you enjoy lo-fi guitar instrumentals his earlier album are a total vibe but this one is where he brought some pop sensibility (and vocals) with him to the studio.

this makes me think of Hoops (also a cancelled band that I'm sad is no longer active)

MGMT
  1. Loss of Life
  2. Oracular Spectacular
  3. Congratulations
  4. Little Dark Age
  5. MGMT
The only one I really don't care for is MGMT, LDA is at least an 8/10 album.
MGMT is a group I really wanted to like. Oracular Spectacular is/was one of my favorites albums but I tried but couldn't get into anything else. I never checked out Loss of Life though.

MGMT is a group I really wanted to like. Oracular Spectacular is/was one of my favorites albums but I tried but couldn't get into anything else. I never checked out Loss of Life though.
you gotta! It doesn't even sound like them. It's like if the Flaming Lips made The Soft Bulletin today, it would sound like that album.

you gotta! It doesn't even sound like them. It's like if the Flaming Lips made The Soft Bulletin today, it would sound like that album.
Steven Hyden writes about them often and how they're basically a band that finds a sound on an album and immediately pivots on the next one. I think Oracular Spectacular is a popular one because it's also the most success they saw from the mainstream, but if you interviewed 10 MGMT fans I'm willing to bet you'll get at least every album listed so someone else's favorite.

MGMT holds a special place in my heart. Hearing them helped get me out of a "punk only" mindset I foolishly had as a teenager. Funny enough, a friend played them while we were driving to a NOFX concert. Fell in love with Oracular Spectacular, and have been along for the ride ever since. It's still one of my all time favorite albums that I listen to regularly. Not a bad album in their catalog IMO, though I agree MGMT is the weakest of the bunch by a decent margin. Think my ranking would be:

1. Oracular Spectacular
2. Loss of Life
3. Congratulations
4. Little Dark Age
5. MGMT

MGMT holds a special place in my heart. Hearing them helped get me out of a "punk only" mindset I foolishly had as a teenager. Funny enough, a friend played them while we were driving to a NOFX concert. Fell in love with Oracular Spectacular, and have been along for the ride ever since. It's still one of my all time favorite albums that I listen to regularly. Not a bad album in their catalog IMO, though I agree MGMT is the weakest of the bunch by a decent margin. Think my ranking would be:

1. Oracular Spectacular
2. Loss of Life
3. Congratulations
4. Little Dark Age
5. MGMT
I would swap out Congratulations with Little Dark Age 😉

Vampire Weekend
  1. Modern Vampires of the City
  2. Vampire Weekend
  3. Contra
  4. Only God Was Above Us
  5. Father of the Bride

Father of the Bride is actually a good album. Individual songs are great! But the whole thing doesn't flow well, feels a little too bloated at times. I don't think I'd cut any songs because most are very good, it's just missing some cohesiveness that others have.

Waxahatchee
  1. Out in the Storm
  2. Tigers Blood
  3. Ivy Tripp
  4. Saint Cloud
  5. (I Walked With You A Ways)
  6. Cerulean Salt
  7. American Weekend
Wish I liked TB more. Feels like a step down from Saint Cloud to me.

1. Saint Cloud
2. Out in the Storm
3. I Walked With You a Ways
4. Tigers Blood
5. Ivy Tripp
6. Cerulean Salt
7. American Weekend

Wish I liked TB more. Feels like a step down from Saint Cloud to me.

1. Saint Cloud
2. Out in the Storm
3. I Walked With You a Ways
4. Tigers Blood
5. Ivy Tripp
6. Cerulean Salt
7. American Weekend
I love a handful of songs on Saint Cloud ("Arkadelphia" might be her best song) but the rest just feel slightly clunky musically, or doesn't flow well. It's an 8/10 album, just not as good as the others. Every song on Tigers Blood feels like it belongs on that album. There's a general feeling that they go together, Saint Cloud not so much.

Back