Rank The Albums!

Sorry. Sooorrry... but when anyone anywhere says "Belle and Sebastian" this instantly pops into my head.
Kind of like when someone says "I'm not really hungry" my brain fills in "but I'd like to have reservations someplace."(American Psycho reference).

This is not a judgement b/c all I know about B&S comes from this movie clip, but this makes me laugh every time.
Also I love Walking on Sunshine.
When he says "it wont go any louder" and then Rob falls over the counter while Barry spins like a toddler...it just makes me laugh.

Belle and Sebastian are my favorite band this side of the Beatles, but I do find that scene to be quite funny.

I’m surprised you’ve never given B&S a fair try. They have distinct periods (the earlier albums are quieter and more introspective; from 2002 onward they morphed into a sharp pop machine), all of which contain an astonishing number of killer songs. They’re obviously a very different band from Wilco, but their careers have some interesting parallels.

Last edited:
Belle and Sebastian are my favorite band this side of the Beatles, but I do find that scene to be quite funny.

I’m surprised you’ve never given B&S a fair try. They have distinct periods (the earlier albums are quieter and more introspective; from 2002 onward they morphed into a sharp pop machine), all of which contain an astonishing number of killer songs. They’re obviously a very different band from Wilco, but their careers have some interesting parallels.
Right now I find myself gravitating Black Metal/Post-Metal/Blackgaze and Hardcore when I'm looking for new stuff to discover outside my wheelhouse.
Eventually, I'll move back to wanting to discover something quieter - and B&S will be on list when I do.

Depeche Mode (I'm going off the top of my head and which albums I reach for to play, please be nice)

1. Violator
  2. Music for the Masses
  3. Ultra
  4. Black Celebration
  5. Some Great Reward
  6. Songs of Faith and Devotion
  7. 101
  8. Playing the Angel
  9. Construction Time Again
  10. Speak & Spell
  11. Memento Mori
  12. A Broken Frame
  13. Exciter
  14. Sounds of the Universe
  15. Delta Machine
  16. Spirit

Is this allowed? Too late I'm doing it :cool:

boygenius and related projects

1. Lucy Dacus - No Burden
  2. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
  3. Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle
  4. Lucy Dacus - Historian
  5. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
  6. boygenius - the record
  7. Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
  8. Lucy Dacus - VHS
  9. Better Oblivion Community Center - Better Oblivion Community Center
  10. boygenius - boygenius ep
  11. Julien Baker - Little Oblivions

Little Oblivions is probably a 7/10 album, it's not bad at all. The whole list is top quality stuff.

Is this allowed? Too late I'm doing it :cool:

boygenius and related projects

1. Lucy Dacus - No Burden
  2. Phoebe Bridgers - Stranger in the Alps
  3. Julien Baker - Sprained Ankle
  4. Lucy Dacus - Historian
  5. Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
  6. boygenius - the record
  7. Julien Baker - Turn Out the Lights
  8. Lucy Dacus - VHS
  9. Better Oblivion Community Center - Better Oblivion Community Center
  10. boygenius - boygenius ep
  11. Julien Baker - Little Oblivions

Little Oblivions is probably a 7/10 album, it's not bad at all. The whole list is top quality stuff.
I think an excellent Spotify playlist could be made out of these albums highlights. I might have found something to do this afternoon.

Depeche Mode (I'm going off the top of my head and which albums I reach for to play, please be nice)

1. Violator
  2. Music for the Masses
  3. Ultra
  4. Black Celebration
  5. Some Great Reward
  7. 101
  8. Playing the Angel
  10. Speak & Spell
  11. Memento Mori
  12. A Broken Frame
  13. Exciter
  15. Delta Machine
  16. Spirit

This is good. Is it fair to include 101?

1. Violator
  2. Music for the Masses
  3. Ultra
  4. Black Celebration
  5. Some Great Reward
  7. 101
  8. Playing the Angel
  10. Speak & Spell
  11. Memento Mori
  12. A Broken Frame
  13. Exciter
  15. Delta Machine
  16. Spirit

Pretty much on par with how I'd do it. Maybe Black Celebration over Ultra and I do play 101 a lot, so maybe would be even higher on my list.

Good job!

Pretty much on par with how I'd do it. Maybe Black Celebration over Ultra and I do play 101 a lot, so maybe would be even higher on my list.

Good job!
The Black Celebration tour was my first Depeche Mode show so that album holds a special place in my heart but I just love Ultra! Useless, It's No Good, Home, Barrel of a Gun are all classics to me.

Been in a bit of a new music funk these past weeks, and I've been listening to some older stuff instead. Specifically, a shit ton of Bolt ⚡️ Thrower. I figured I'd drop their album rankings here. With 8 full length albums in their career, Bolt Thrower has one of my most consistent and one of the best overall discographies you'll find. And a rarity with their best album being their final album 🤘

maxresdefault (2).jpg

8. In Battle There Is No Law (1988)
7. Honor Valour Pride (2001)
6. ...For Victory (1994)
5. Realm Of Chaos (1989)
4. Mercenary (1998)
3. War Master (1991)
2. The IVth Crusade (1992)
1. Those Once Loyal (2005)

toying with tiers...

the national tiers
top: boxer
excellent: i am easy to find // trouble will find me // high violet // alligator // sleep well beast
really good: first two pages of frankenstein // sad songs for dirty lovers
solid but unspectacular: the national

they have been such a consistent band

The National, updated:

1. Boxer
2. Trouble Will Find Me
3. High Violet
4. Alligator
5. Sleep Well Beast
6. I Am Easy to Find
7. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers
8. First 2 Pages of Frankenstein
9. The National
Yeah I think it’s unfortunately worse than SSFDL which I didn’t think would happen. SSFDL is still a 8/10 album IMO but F2PoF is 7/10 at best

The National, updated:

1. Boxer
2. Trouble Will Find Me
3. High Violet
4. Alligator
5. Sleep Well Beast
6. I Am Easy to Find
7. Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers
8. First 2 Pages of Frankenstein
9. The National
I would move Alligator up to #1 and drop everything else down a spot. depending on the day I could swap TWFM and High Violet. I would also swap SSFDL with IAETF.

So far I have listened to First Two Pages of Frankenstein twice all the way through and is a solid album. My main issue with this album is everything is the same tempo which was the a similar issue I had with IAETF as well. I am fairly confident that many of these songs will end up being bangers in a live setting but they feel too restrained in the studio. I wish they would consider maybe workshopping new songs live in concert prior to recording and/or maybe recording an album live in studio would help get the album energy to raise a bit too.

The Beths
  1. Expert In a Dying Field
  2. Jump Rope Glazers
  3. Future Me Hates Me
Future Me Hates Me is still like a 8.5/10 record. They haven't done anything wrong yet and keep getting better and better.

The National
  1. Alligator
  2. Boxer
  3. Trouble Will Find Me
  4. High Violet
  5. I Am Easy to Find
  6. Sleep Well Beast
  7. Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers
  8. The First Two Pages of Frankenstein
  9. The National

The Tallest Man on Earth
  1. The Wild Hunt
  2. Shallow Grave
  3. There's No Leaving Now
  4. I Love You. It's a Fever Dream
  5. Dark Bird is Home
  6. Henry St.
Henry St. is very new, but it could move up above Dark Bird and maybe I Love You. with some time.

I have three The National albums (Boxer, SSFDL, Cherry Tree) and yet the band just never really clicked with me much. I like a couple songs here and there but almost never spin them now. I keep thinking I should hang on to them for when it finally does grab me. Or maybe they'll end up in the PIF thread. And maybe this post is for the Hot Takes thread.

I have three The National albums (Boxer, SSFDL, Cherry Tree) and yet the band just never really clicked with me much. I like a couple songs here and there but almost never spin them now. I keep thinking I should hang on to them for when it finally does grab me. Or maybe they'll end up in the PIF thread. And maybe this post is for the Hot Takes thread.
Check out Alligator.

Back