Rank The Albums!

I’ll have to pick up last years 5 at some point. They’ve just released so much so fast, most of which is great, that I began to feel a little bit burnt out on them!

Yeah, that release of 5 records in one shot was a lot. I just picked up 11 and Today & Tomorrow from the last batch. I might add Untitled (God) at some point. And I still should get 7 at some point although I never went back to the digital version much.

Blur
  1. Modern Life is Rubbish
  2. Parklife
  3. The Great Escape
  4. 13
  5. Leisure
  6. Blur
  7. The Magic Whip
  8. The Ballad of Darren
  9. Think Tank

Mine would be more like this…

Parklife
Modern Life
Bur
The Great Escape
Leisure
Think Tank
Whip Smart
Darren

1. 13
2. Modern Life
3. Parklife
4. Blur
5. Great Escape
6. Think Tank
7. Ballad of Darren
8. Leisure
9. Magic Whip

:cool:

Mine would be more like:

1. What's the Story Morning Glory
2. Definitely Maybe
3. Be Here Now
4. Counsel Skies
5. Heathen Chemistry
6. NGHFB
7. Standing on the Shoulders
8. Who Built the Moon
9. Don't Believe the Truth
10. Dig Out Your Soul
11. Chasing Yesterday.

I am glad to see a lot of people also think Think Tank is not that good. I had friends years ago tell me it was one of their best and I never understood why. It completely misses the mark for what makes Blur great.

It’s the one without Graham Coxon and it certainly shows, but I still really loved it when it was first released

:cool:

Mine would be more like:

1. What's the Story Morning Glory
2. Definitely Maybe
3. Be Here Now
4. Counsel Skies
5. Heathen Chemistry
6. NGHFB
7. Standing on the Shoulders
8. Who Built the Moon
9. Don't Believe the Truth
10. Dig Out Your Soul
11. Chasing Yesterday.

Standing on the Shoulder (really Noel, just the one?) of Giants not being marooned at the bottom by a long long long way is the hottest take in this post.

I am glad to see a lot of people also think Think Tank is not that good. I had friends years ago tell me it was one of their best and I never understood why. It completely misses the mark for what makes Blur great.
I just listened to Think Tank again last night and it's still a brilliant record to me. Obviously Graham's absence means it's very different from the rest of their output but at the same time Damon was in the middle of a ridiculously creative artistic run in 2003 and that's definitely reflected on the album. It honestly feels more like the missing link between the first Gorillaz album and Demon Days than a proper Blur release to me. I guess that sort of reinforces your point, though Blur are such an eclectic band that have gone through so many shifts in sound that Think Tank doesn't feel too far removed from their other stuff to me.

I’m leaving Darren off because I haven’t digested it yet. It’d be above the bottom two anyway.

1. Modern Life Is Rubbish
2. Blur
3. Parklife
4. Think Tank
5. The Magic Whip
6. 13
7. The Great Escape
8. Leisure
I haven't listened to Darren yet, but switch #2 & 3 and this is my exact ranking.

I just listened to Think Tank again last night and it's still a brilliant record to me. Obviously Graham's absence means it's very different from the rest of their output but at the same time Damon was in the middle of a ridiculously creative artistic run in 2003 and that's definitely reflected on the album. It honestly feels more like the missing link between the first Gorillaz album and Demon Days than a proper Blur release to me. I guess that sort of reinforces your point, though Blur are such an eclectic band that have gone through so many shifts in sound that Think Tank doesn't feel too far removed from their other stuff to me.
fairs. I did always think it sounded more like a Gorillaz album than a Blur one, but like you said, they've been through so many sound shifts that it's not completely alien. I don't think it has too many standout tracks and a few complete duds that pull it down for me.

I agree completely and the one Graham Coxon contribution on there is one of the most beautiful guitar lines he ever played. Out of Time is also a low key classic Blur single.

Back