R.I.P. VMP Forum

Oh wait!!! Matt Fielder actually did break it down to us how it was really painful to do and was hurting him more than us. I wish I would have screenshot that gem, too.
I got you, bro:

And the lamest apology ever, coming many pages later:

Gotta say, while I'd rather VMP as a company (or any other company for that matter) weren't present here to promote their wares, if folks are gonna keep talkin' smack about them, I think they 100% should be allowed a right to respond here if they want. That being said, I'd much rather people just stopped going on about them here. I know we all have history over there but really, it's starting to feel like that friend who won't stop talking about their ex. Just let it go already, those who are sticking around there have made their choice, those who left have hopefully found peace. I knew there'd be an adjustment period, I just really didn't expect it to be 11 days with no signs of slowing.
I don't mind companies coming on as long as they stay in threads respective to their brand, like labels/clubs participating in the threads about them and not promoting their wares elsewhere
I got you, bro:
View attachment 2834
View attachment 2835
View attachment 2836

And the lamest apology ever, coming many pages later:
View attachment 2838

thanks for posting this

I for one am not opposed to storf joining as long as it is clear to him that he is not to hype VMP unless it is in a VMP thread

Gotta say, while I'd rather VMP as a company (or any other company for that matter) weren't present here to promote their wares, if folks are gonna keep talkin' smack about them, I think they 100% should be allowed a right to respond here if they want.
They had an entire site they could've used to respond. They didn't (or did rarely) And then they took it offline, so they've lost that privilege imo

Even though I didn’t have years invested on the old forums, post #396 sums it up perfectly.
As far as Storf or any VMP staff joining here in any capacity, if I was one of the major players involved in starting and creating this new community, I’d not be down with that.

I know we all have history over there but really, it's starting to feel like that friend who won't stop talking about their ex. Just let it go already, those who are sticking around there have made their choice, those who left have hopefully found peace. I knew there'd be an adjustment period, I just really didn't expect it to be 11 days with no signs of slowing.
Well since we were coming from the vmp Forums we are still haveing more vmp or ex-vmp subscribers than those of other Clubs.
But i hope, eventually this thread will sink to the depths of the forum while i still hope that in the vmp Sub focussed threads we will still have People excited about Releases as well as an exchange about screw-ups and Problems (as i would also hope we have for other Clubs and retailers). sometimes it helps to know which records are problematic and what to check for immediately before noticing something too late.

Last edited:
Well since we were coming from the vmp Forums we are still haveing more vmp or ex-vmp subscribers than those of other Clubs.
But i hope, eventually this thread witll sink to the depths of the forum while i still hope that in the vmp Sub foussed threads we will still have People excited about Releases as well as an exchange about screw-ups and Problems (as i would also hope we have for other Clubs and retailers).. sometimes it helps to know which records are problematic and what to check for immediately before noticing something too late.
I asked this in a status

Reactions: Jan
Gotta say, while I'd rather VMP as a company (or any other company for that matter) weren't present here to promote their wares, if folks are gonna keep talkin' smack about them, I think they 100% should be allowed a right to respond here if they want. That being said, I'd much rather people just stopped going on about them here. I know we all have history over there but really, it's starting to feel like that friend who won't stop talking about their ex. Just let it go already, those who are sticking around there have made their choice, those who left have hopefully found peace. I knew there'd be an adjustment period, I just really didn't expect it to be 11 days with no signs of slowing.
Yes and no. We all grieve in our own way. And this was a relationship ending. I, for one, have decided to move on after my war and peace post a few days ago that allowed me to very ineloquently get it out. It is better for my mental health to focus on the positive. But I got to the acceptance, moving on stage at my own pace. I had a few years of starting to distance myself. You have always had an even keeled approach to VMP's issues so I imagine that helped you process more quickly. Others hadn't and 11 days for a several year relationship isn't that much.

I think we can all help each other move forward by continued positivity and support. And let everyone get there in their own time.

Yes and no. We all grieve in our own way. And this was a relationship ending. I, for one, have decided to move on after my war and peace post a few days ago that allowed me to very ineloquently get it out. It is better for my mental health to focus on the positive. But I got to the acceptance, moving on stage at my own pace. I had a few years of starting to distance myself. You have always had an even keeled approach to VMP's issues so I imagine that helped you process more quickly. Others hadn't and 11 days for a several year relationship isn't that much.

I think we can all help each other move forward by continued positivity and support. And let everyone get there in their own time.

Totally valid point as is @Dead C’s that this thread is the right place for it. Mine was more an ill thought through continuation of a thought that I don’t like the idea that anyone, company or individual, shouldn’t be allowed a right to reply here if they are addressed negatively and of course if they want a right to reply in the first place. I see it irl and don’t like it there either. In this instance I’d just prefer the (justifiable) negativity didn’t continue to swell. And you’re right, I just personally don’t find it healthy for me but I concede that it may well be cathartic for others.

I mean we could be
I hope I'm not coming across as cynical, but I really hope we are, at least in terms of Vinyl being a fad. I do think that a significant number of people getting into vinyl are genuinely enjoying it and are going to continue. I think it would certainly help the pricing, some reissues of classic albums are ridiculously priced. I also think alot of retail giants would stop selling grossly overpriced reissues of the same 12 records. And most importantly I hope the bullshit limited edition exclusives either bump up in number of records pressed or just end entirely. I get paid bi-weekly so more often than not when an exclusive gets released it's sold out long before I get paid. I hate having to buy from marked up discogs sellers because they only made 500-1000 of an album that they damn well knew would have sold even more. Forced scarcity is bullshit and a stupid business decision considering how much profit potential is lost.
So in a way I want the bubble to burst

The
Let's be clear, this is a bubble. It is an impossibility that people will keep spending $30+ a time to play on a $100 record player in a box that will kill those records in a worryingly short amount of time. What matters for my corner of the industry is the 'conversion rate'- the number of people we persuade to keep at it with higher quality gear.

I'd be staggered if VMP weren't running the numbers on a similar calculation but with media.
Yes! And they're advertising to those people. Several of their release videos display their records on box or suitcase players. Strange considering a Crosely would likely not be able to handle the Bass of the Lil Wayne Record as advertised. (I'm not kicking a dead horse just saying, and many of their videos feature quality tables) part of their marketing is towards the "vinyl is a fad" "I really want to be a hipster" crowd.

I hope I'm not coming across as cynical, but I really hope we are, at least in terms of Vinyl being a fad. I do think that a significant number of people getting into vinyl are genuinely enjoying it and are going to continue. I think it would certainly help the pricing, some reissues of classic albums are ridiculously priced. I also think alot of retail giants would stop selling grossly overpriced reissues of the same 12 records. And most importantly I hope the bullshit limited edition exclusives either bump up in number of records pressed or just end entirely. I get paid bi-weekly so more often than not when an exclusive gets released it's sold out long before I get paid. I hate having to buy from marked up discogs sellers because they only made 500-1000 of an album that they damn well knew would have sold even more. Forced scarcity is bullshit and a stupid business decision considering how much profit potential is lost.
So in a way I want the bubble to burst
i truly do not think prices are ever going to go down unless production/interest bombs out as badly as it did in the 90s. communism is not for the consumer, and if (collective) we keep paying the laughable $40+ for new releases, prices are going to increase, if anything. no business wants to give us a deal when they get one; they increase profits, their teams, or their production. which is fucked bc on the flip side, if we don’t support, the industry dies and we end up in the 90s drought again (but with less music).

But i hope, eventually this thread will sink to the depths of the forum while i still hope that in the vmp Sub focussed threads we will still have People excited about Releases as well as an exchange about screw-ups and Problems (as i would also hope we have for other Clubs and retailers). sometimes it helps to know which records are problematic and what to check for immediately before noticing something too late.
I kinda hope that this thread stays and is eventually renamed. We need a thread for just fluid conversation. And this seems like a good one. It can be the Forum Thread!

Reactions: Jan
i truly do not think prices are ever going to go down unless production/interest bombs out as badly as it did in the 90s. communism is not for the consumer, and if (collective) we keep paying the laughable $40+ for new releases, prices are going to increase, if anything. no business wants to give us a deal when they get one; they increase profits, their teams, or their production. which is fucked bc on the flip side, if we don’t support, the industry dies and we end up in the 90s drought again (but with less music).
You make a valid point, but I think the major increase in the price is due to the current fad. I'll use major retailers like B & N and UO as examples. Their vinyl prices are absolutely ridiculous. However I can get the exact same record on Amazon or my local record store (I know the latter depends on the store) for significantly cheaper a fair amount of times. Urban Outfitters doesn't give a damn about Vinyl they just want to get that hipster cash while the getting is good. I think the prices will go down a bit in time not a great degree but enough to where I don't view the price sticker with disgust. I'm also optimistic enough that this resurrection of Vinyl as a format has hooked enough new people to keep the industry healthy.

You make a valid point, but I think the major increase in the price is due to the current fad. I'll use major retailers like B & N and UO as examples. Their vinyl prices are absolutely ridiculous. However I can get the exact same record on Amazon or my local record store (I know the latter depends on the store) for significantly cheaper a fair amount of times. Urban Outfitters doesn't give a damn about Vinyl they just want to get that hipster cash while the getting is good. I think the prices will go down a bit in time not a great degree but enough to where I don't view the price sticker with disgust. I'm also optimistic enough that this resurrection of Vinyl as a format has hooked enough new people to keep the industry healthy.
amazon is a multi billion dollar company that fires their employees if they take bathroom breaks. we’ve all benefited from their deals, but their price fluctuation is only due to the quantity they can buy wholesale and which items they can afford to take cuts on. idt that they’re exactly the price model, when indie stores and other retail giants are always fairly aligned

amazon is a multi billion dollar company that fires their employees if they take bathroom breaks. we’ve all benefited from their deals, but their price fluctuation is only due to the quantity they can buy wholesale and which items they can afford to take cuts on. idt that they’re exactly the price model, when indie stores and other retail giants are always fairly aligned

Yes, Amazon is literally the worst. If at all possible no one should ever buy anything from them.

Yes, Amazon is literally the worst. If at all possible no one should ever buy anything from them.
i read a really fucked up article about what their price cuts on new book releases does to authors/indie bookstores and wanted to die tbh! there’s also that game someone built that tries to mirror the warehouse employee experience before one of the articles exposing everything and ...yikes. i try to avoid it when i can (even tho i still lean on it more than i’d like to for convenience)

Back