R.I.P. VMP Forum

Allowing any of them, in any capacity, will give them a direct line for communication here.
Yeah, but I think disallowing a “vinylmeplease” account would convey a clear enough message to discourage it.
Just to be clear, I see that as actually a good implementation of what we had previously asked for in the old forum: divorce official business from individual staff accounts. Now you guys would be in a position to actually be able to enforce that.

Edit: IF any of it ever came to pass. Again, all hypothetical.

Yeah, but I think disallowing a “vinylmeplease” account would convey a clear enough message to discourage it.

That was 100% hypothetical.
I hate hypotheticals. We’ll cross that bridge when we come if it.

The only thing I can imagine is storf coming to shitpost not shill

I wouldn't even mind the generic vinylmeplease to join this forum and weigh in in the vmp related threads. We now have other subs like secretlysociety and lovevinyl doing that as well. But here they would be common users without a special status. But in their current circle-the-wagons mentality icannot see them doing that
lol i would very much mind this

Gotta say, while I'd rather VMP as a company (or any other company for that matter) weren't present here to promote their wares, if folks are gonna keep talkin' smack about them, I think they 100% should be allowed a right to respond here if they want. That being said, I'd much rather people just stopped going on about them here. I know we all have history over there but really, it's starting to feel like that friend who won't stop talking about their ex. Just let it go already, those who are sticking around there have made their choice, those who left have hopefully found peace. I knew there'd be an adjustment period, I just really didn't expect it to be 11 days with no signs of slowing.

Gotta say, while I'd rather VMP as a company (or any other company for that matter) weren't present here to promote their wares, if folks are gonna keep talkin' smack about them, I think they 100% should be allowed a right to respond here if they want. That being said, I'd much rather people just stopped going on about them here. I know we all have history over there but really, it's starting to feel like that friend who won't stop talking about their ex. Just let it go already, those who are sticking around there have made their choice, those who left have hopefully found peace. I knew there'd be an adjustment period, I just really didn't expect it to be 11 days with no signs of slowing.
They keep giving us fresh ammo.

Part of me still thinks none of us has hit on the “real” reason, the true catalyzing event, for shutting down the old forum. A lot of the theories make sense, but none of them completely hold together for me. I suppose that this part of me just thinks that if I reflect on how VMP has done business in the past, there may very well not BE a single reason. They just...decided to do it, then started forming a rationale, whatever that happens to be, to support it, after they’d already concluded it was a good idea.

What’s incredible to me is that, if people are even halfway correct that it was an attempt to stop hosting and/or to decentralize criticism of their business, then not only did that fail when this forum got started, but they also VOLUNTARILY GAVE UP THEIR OWN ABILITY TO RESPOND TO IT. Now all of that criticism is in a place where they may not even be welcome, much less have control over the messaging (to be clear, I’m personally cool with any staff who were active on the old forum joining up here to be part of the community, just not cool with them joining up to act as official reps of the business).

That’s what makes this decision so terrible to me. The Google results won’t bring up VMP hosting its own bad PR anymore, sure, but what they get instead may be even worse for them: wild theories, extremely critical reviews, some (speaking frankly here, including myself in this) bitterness from former members who resent what they’ve done, and...absolutely no response from VMP. The only party they’ve successfully silenced is themselves. Truly baffling.

I agree with everything you've posted here. I also don't know if they could have expected us to have another platform of this quality at our disposal so quickly.

What immediately comes to mind here is how people get upset when you claim they don't care about something. They often interpret those words to mean that you are accusing them of being malicious, as if they've gone out of their way to do you wrong. To me, what it means, is that they simply do not care what the results are and don't make any effort to give a shit. Whether or not VMP was being tactful or malicious in their decision to unplug the forum is secondary to me. What bothers me is how little they cared about the ways in which it could effect members and did it anyway. From @mcherry's plea and the response to @gouis about "more time," to everyone who made the effort to sign into the forum for the first time, just to express what it meant to them, at the very end, they simply didn't give a shit. How would it have hurt them to provide a weeks notice, or extend things by a few days, once they were "made aware" of how much that would have meant? Our feelings didn't matter in the slightest and, for me, that's the major takeaway from all of this.

The short notice is what doesn't add up for me. If delivered from the beginning, the explanation provided by Pauly at the end -- the one which was again cut and pasted on instagram, later -- wouldn't have generated such terrible backlash. Although it may be spun differently, I feel like we actually had a pretty great track record of giving them the benefit of the doubt, at least as far as their intentions were concerned. In the end, so many people turned, because their intentions didn't seem pure at all. If we were given a real explanation and time to transition, who knows how it would have went down? They'd probably have a lot more goodwill directed toward them, at least. But 48hrs? All that does is reduce the chances that we'd have a new place to transition to, or have a chance to collect any data or memories that remained over there. But what further stands out is that both the latest Weyes Blood and Anthology issues were coming and they knew it. I mean, they had guess threads rolling that were cut short. If they didn't want to remove the platform for a more "intentional" reason, then why not wait until the end of the month, or, at the very least, until the records of the month were revealed? The timing was suspect.

This might be a good thread to avoid, then. I mean... that's essentially what this thread is about; the previous forum being shut down. There are still people slowly finding their way over here, who want to know what happened and, every time someone comes here to do that, they have every right to be filled in. Not everyone even got the minimal 48hrs that we were afforded to transistion.

Last edited:
Back