Pre-Order Thread

I mean we are all just speculating. RSD has been printing lots of “pointless” records for years and it is a problem for a minute around rsd. This is clearly more. I think it’s a little bit of everything posted here… colorways causing stopping between pressings, demand, needless pressings, not enough plants, the loss of one of the major providers of lacquer, Covid, more RSD and supply chain issues.

20 k records printed in black will take less time than 20k pressed in blue smurf fairy sparkle will take less time then 20k printed in 20 different colorways.
Ask yourselves, if the music industry's largest players were committed to vinyl long term, why aren't more laquering and vinyl production plants being built? Sony Japan reopened its Japanese plant in 2017 and Jack White opened his in 2017, but where are the rest? In a normal supply/demand situation, people would seek to profit by expanding their manufacturing capacity. However, there are only 23 pressing plants in the US. New plants aren't happening in the US in proportion to the demand- why? That leaves labels shipping stuff to Euro plants like Pallss, Optimal, GZ, MPO and it has to all be shipped back to the US.

Last edited:
Ask yourselves, if the music industry's largest players were committed to vinyl long term, why aren't more laquering and vinyl production plants being built? Sony Japan reopened its Japanese plant in 2017 and Jack White opened his in 2017, but where are the rest? In a normal supply/demand situation, people would seek to profit by expanding their manufacturing capacity. However, there are only 23 pressing plants in the US. New plants aren't happening in the US is proportion to the demand- why? That leaves labels shipping stuff to Euro plants like Pallss, Optimal, GZ, MPO and it has to all be shipped back to the US.
Citizen Vinyl opened last year.

the lacquer thing is a whole other ball of wax, evidently it’s hella toxic and dangerous and most places don’t want it in their communities.

Ask yourselves, if the music industry's largest players were committed to vinyl long term, why aren't more laquering and vinyl production plants being built? Sony Japan reopened its Japanese plant in 2017 and Jack White opened his in 2017, but where are the rest? In a normal supply/demand situation, people would seek to profit by expanding their manufacturing capacity. However, there are only 23 pressing plants in the US. New plants aren't happening in the US is proportion to the demand- why? That leaves labels shipping stuff to Euro plants like Pallss, Optimal, GZ, MPO and it has to all be shipped back to the US.
I think the vast majority of major labels want nothing to do with vinyl because of its razor-thin margins, and I don't blame them at all.

I think the vast majority of major labels want nothing to do with vinyl because of its razor-thin margins, and I don't blame them at all.
With all the $40-$50 single lps coming out I feel like their margins are fine. But I don't really know I'm just a guy who doesn't get why some new lps are under $20 and others are over $100.

I don’t think the margins are that razor thin. I don’t think Sony gets charged the same price @toomanyrecords does

It's more over the overhead than anything else.

Pressing the records is an investment. And they have to fork out the money often times 3 to 6 months before the pressing is released based on how long it takes to press things these days and don't get a return on that investment until the record is released. There is also sitting on inventory until you sell out.

Record labels and shareholders want money in the short term. They profit more from digital because they don't have anywhere near as much upfront costs, don't have to sit on or distribute inventory and what not.

But profit margins are not slim with vinyl. They have a pretty decent margin. They could sell a single LP for $15 and turn a profit, but more and more often they are setting the price twice that.

It's more over the overhead than anything else.

Pressing the records is an investment. And they have to fork out the money often times 3 to 6 months before the pressing is released based on how long it takes to press things these days and don't get a return on that investment until the record is released. There is also sitting on inventory until you sell out.

Record labels and shareholders want money in the short term. They profit more from digital because they don't have anywhere near as much upfront costs, don't have to sit on or distribute inventory and what not.

But profit margins are not slim with vinyl. They have a pretty decent margin. They could sell a single LP for $15 and turn a profit, but more and more often they are setting the price twice that.
Also the “cost” isn’t retail price. Take 35-40 points off retail pricing, take another (x) points off for distro/wholesale, now you’re back to the actual cost.

Now take into account bulk/discounting/contract pricing, material buy-ahead, variable market pricing for material, lending rates, inflation and hey guess what? You know who knows the real cost of a physical record? The label’s accounting department. Anyone that tells you otherwise is speculating.

they weren't razor thin in the 80s when records were 12 bucks a pop, and they're not razor-thin now when records are 25-50 a pop either.
$12 in 1985 would be about $30 today, and CDs and streaming weren't things yet. The difference in margins between the two groups of formats not insignificant.

Surprised no one posted yet, but a live recording of Coltrane’s A Love Supreme is getting a release. Very excited for it and interested to hear how it’ll turn out. It’s an amateur recording but sounds like it was very well recorded and the tapes were in excellent condition.

Pretty good NPR story this AM on it. I think this is link:

First of all, we would like to offer a sincere and heartfelt R.E.M. apology to you for this customer service failure.

Unfortunately, since we pressed a very small quantity of the marble vinyl, we cannot offer that again due to its limited nature; but we do have plans to make it up to you by sending you something special and limited in its own right...

Per the cancelation notice you received, your initial order has been refunded. If you're interested in picking up the standard black vinyl, this has just been re-stocked at the R.E.M. webstore (but act fast, as quantities are limited). Whatever you decide--ordering the black vinyl or not--you'll be receiving something cool in the mail in the coming weeks, compliments of the band.

Once again, please accept our apologies, and thanks for your understanding.

First of all, we would like to offer a sincere and heartfelt R.E.M. apology to you for this customer service failure.

Unfortunately, since we pressed a very small quantity of the marble vinyl, we cannot offer that again due to its limited nature; but we do have plans to make it up to you by sending you something special and limited in its own right...

Per the cancelation notice you received, your initial order has been refunded. If you're interested in picking up the standard black vinyl, this has just been re-stocked at the R.E.M. webstore (but act fast, as quantities are limited). Whatever you decide--ordering the black vinyl or not--you'll be receiving something cool in the mail in the coming weeks, compliments of the band.

This is more of a sign that the powers to be don’t care to me than the backlog.

LOL! Noticed your Avatar switcharoo and chortled reading this post in the voice of Gargamel.

FTR, I do this a lot. Every time a @zdkaiser post is read it’s done in the voice of Keaton’s Beetlejuice.
giphy.gif

Damn, I hope everyone who wants black can get a copy. They probably won't be able to offer it again due to its limited nature.

Back