Pre-Order Thread

Has regular maple syrup always been so expensive? Obviously corn syrup is always going to be cheaper but I wince every time I am out and have to drop like $12 on a small bottle.
Much cheaper here for a decent small bottle of dark maple syrup, which I prefer for pancakes and waffles. No comparison to the fake stuff in terms of flavor at all.

I buy maple syrup from the Grocery Outlet Bargain Market. Do you have one of those? I also hear that racist ass Trader Joe's has good prices on it but I'm angry at them for their local racist ass practices.
Oh yeah, we have a couple of em here In Tacoma. I will have to give it a look next time we are running low.

Has regular maple syrup always been so expensive? Obviously corn syrup is always going to be cheaper but I wince every time I am out and have to drop like $12 on a small bottle.

You can thank Quebec for artificially inflating the price of real maple syrup: The Maple Syrup Mafia.

There is an episode of Dirty Money on Netflix that tells the story of The Great Maple Syrup Heist, in which $18.7m worth of syrup was stolen: This Intense Netflix Documentary About Quebec's Infamous Maple Syrup Robbery Is A Must-See For Every Canadian. This was back in 2012, before the oil price collapsed, and still a barrel of maple syrup was worth more than a barrel of oil at the time.

My grandfather used to make his own and send it to us. Because of that, I can’t tolerate the fake stuff.
My family owns some property near the Vermont/NY border and my dad worked out a deal with a local guy where he can use all the trees for their sap but he just has to give us free maple syrup. It has been a very fruitful relationship for me haha. We get gallons of the good stuff any time we need it. I haven’t paid for maple syrup in 15 or so years.

I can definitely taste the difference. Maple syrup has a different palate- it’s woodier. It also doesn’t inflame my arthritis so you know... there’s that.
My wife bought me a little bottle of hickory syrup recently and now I don't even know how maple cornered the market on syrup, because this stuff is incredible.

Back