Pre-Order Thread

I know you used to be in Astoria, but is your local now Darkside in PK? Just curious what RSD there is like.

Yep, Darkside is technically my local now. Compared to Hi-fi in Astoria, I like RSD way way more.

I'm guessing you've been to Darkside before, and it obviously is a much bigger shop and they order every single release (where Hi-Fi seemed to be hit or miss). And they send out a list of what is in stock and prices the night before. It also is decently cheaper (which makes sense considering price of rent in Poughkeepsie vs Astoria).
The line is super long generally, longer than Hi-Fi I'd say but things seem to move faster and they get a larger volume so not too much of concern.
They have a dedicated register with everything behind the counter and 3 cashiers to help multiple people at a time. They also have a separate cash register for if you want to shop or buy stuff outside of RSD and there's discounts.
They also treat it more like an event. Theres coffee in the morning and they serve food and beer from local vendors with bands going.

So overall, I'd say very similar to the way Hi-Fi runs it but functions alot better due to their location.

Tom Misch - Beat Tape 2 (5th Anniversary Gold Edition) - SIGNED
To celebrate the 5th anniversary of its release, and as a thank-you to fans for their ongoing support, Tom is releasing a special anniversary edition of the project on gold-coloured vinyl.

BeatTape2LPsigned_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Yep, Darkside is technically my local now. Compared to Hi-fi in Astoria, I like RSD way way more.

I'm guessing you've been to Darkside before, and it obviously is a much bigger shop and they order every single release (where Hi-Fi seemed to be hit or miss). And they send out a list of what is in stock and prices the night before. It also is decently cheaper (which makes sense considering price of rent in Poughkeepsie vs Astoria).
The line is super long generally, longer than Hi-Fi I'd say but things seem to move faster and they get a larger volume so not too much of concern.
They have a dedicated register with everything behind the counter and 3 cashiers to help multiple people at a time. They also have a separate cash register for if you want to shop or buy stuff outside of RSD and there's discounts.
They also treat it more like an event. Theres coffee in the morning and they serve food and beer from local vendors with bands going.

So overall, I'd say very similar to the way Hi-Fi runs it but functions alot better due to their location.
Hi-Fi was a bit of a shit show for RSD the few times I went (used to be my local when I lived in Astoria too). It turned out they only got 1 copy of the album I actually wanted the last year I went but I ended up buying things I didn't really want since I had waited over an hour in line haha.

TBH I don’t even want a 3xLP version (though I pre-ordered it anyways) I rarely ever listen to bonus material and while this album is pretty great It’s not a full LP of outtakes and bonus material great. I think the 9xLP is insane for such a low key album. Pet Sounds isn’t even 9 LP worthy.

I'm in agreement here. Can't we just get all the B-sides and outtakes from the Playback set on vinyl with these new unreleased songs? Now, that's a 9 album set I would buy Day 1.

I'm not going for the "Blanket" $500 variant under any circumstance.

But, I will say this teaser of the home recording version of "Wildflowers" is giving me pause. If the rest of the B-sides/home recordings are as good as this....It makes my pre-order decision that much more difficult. This is the kind of thing that is right in my wheelhouse.

I'm not going for the "Blanket" $500 variant under any circumstance.

But, I will say this teaser of the home recording version of "Wildflowers" is giving me pause. If the rest of the B-sides/home recordings are as good as this....It makes my pre-order decision that much more difficult. This is the kind of thing that is right in my wheelhouse.

Realistically, you think there are 6 LPs worth of material as good as this though? No shade, it sounds like this album is your jam and you are comfortable ponying up for the extra $ go for it. It’s not my favorite Petty album to begin with so I am not the person this deluxe edition is targeting.

Tom Petty - Wildflowers and All the Rest is now available for Preorder on his website, Amazon, and plenty other places I'm sure.

A bit confusing that they have a 3LP, 7LP, and 9LP version...

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realize I was like the10th post on this topic

Last edited:
Realistically, you think there are 6 LPs worth of material as good as this though? No shade, it sounds like this album is your jam and you are comfortable ponying up for the extra $ go for it. It’s not my favorite Petty album to begin with so I am not the person this deluxe edition is targeting.
Plus, Wildflowers is the most recognizable song that 62% of daughters/dads and brides/grooms dance to as their wedding first dance, so a home recording of that is bound to pull on the heart strings.

Hi-Fi was a bit of a shit show for RSD the few times I went (used to be my local when I lived in Astoria too). It turned out they only got 1 copy of the album I actually wanted the last year I went but I ended up buying things I didn't really want since I had waited over an hour in line haha.

Yeah wasnt really a fan of it there. They had half of what I wanted at best and I ended up getting FOMO purchases. And it was real pricey. I liked the set up of having it all behind the counter but thats about it.

I understand them not wanting to overorder because Im sure its hard keeping a shop like that open in such a high cost area, but it unfortunately makes it a poor stop for RSD

What would be IDEAL is a 5LP version.
The 2 LP OG Tracks: these are essential to any Vinyl collection (I'm willing to go to the mattresses on that).
The 1 LP "All the Rest: Some of the tracks that did not make it on Wildflowers were used on the (very underrated and excellent) "She's the One" soundtrack. Whether those are here or it's all new stuff we haven't heard, I don't know. But being familiar with the She's The One Soundtrack, I'm relatively confident this will be VG/VG+.
The 2 LP 15 Solo Demos: Would I pay $125+ to see Tom Petty Unplugged doing Wildflowers in its entirety with some other songs as well...absolutely. Would I want that as a stand alone Vinyl release and be willing to pay $30+ for it....yes.

So those 5 LPs are a no-brainer. Its the Live 1995-2017 and "Alternate Versions" I probably dont need.
So where is my 5LP version? ( I think I just talked myself into the 7-LP version.)

Also, I have to ask: Full Moon Fever? Damn the Torpedoes? So. Accents?

P.S. if anyone has an OG of the She's the One and is looking to off load it...let me know.

Last edited:
I was looking into this, too, cause this is such a great record. From what I can see, a repressing is expected from a lot of the online stores

I know....and Im probably going to be very tempted when it gets release.
I will try and tell myself I need a OG press to go with my Wildflowers OG and I dont need two copies of any Soundtrack,, and I have on digital so I'm holding out for the OG.
Let's hope that works.

That's where I'm at. Home recordings and such will be cool, but I would rarely ever throw them on. I'd be happy just to stream those, which I'm assuming will be available?

Some info re: the Petty release from Hoffman forums:

1) Everything was mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering. 24 bit 44.1K and 24 bit 16K mastered at a higher level for streaming (Spotify, etc). 24 bit 44.1K specifically mastered for iTunes (MFiT) -for Apple streaming. Apple now tells us that they can accept 2496 files, but they were too late in telling us for this project, and, at this time, Apple has no facility for streaming at that rate. Happy to consider that for the future!

The CD was mastered at a LOWER level than the original (for more dynamic range). There is another big project that I worked on this year that will come out on CD at a lower level as well. This is how I'm going to do things from now on, in large part from all the comments on the Hoffman Forums about dynamic range. IMO, CD is now it's own ecosystem, and those that are willing to pay for physical media should be rewarded with good packaging and good sound.

24 bit 96K format was mastered at even lower level (most dynamic range) and available for those that currently offer hi-res streaming (i.e.Tidal) and for digital downloads (i.e. HD Tracks). The new vinyl of the original album was mastered from the 1/2" analog master. This was NOT the case in 1994, where the album was mastered from the 16 bit 44.1K CD files! In 2015 Chris and I resequenced the original 1/2" master so he could cut from that. If you bought the deluxe vinyl set Warner's put out in 2015, that is essentially the same (analog) source and EQ that we used on the new pressing. The other vinyl discs were mastered from 2496 Pro Tools sessions (the digital format I transferred from analog multitrack into and mixed the songs) or 2448 Pro Tools (for the Home Recordings, which were transferred from ADAT, a 48K digital recording system that Tom used in the early '90's).

2) Trust me, you will want Disc 5! Some great, earlier, more "rock" versions of some of the songs, some with Stan on drums. "Wake Up Time" and "Don't Fade On Me" are the same takes that were on An American Treasure. They fit in well with the sequence on this disc. "Lonesome Dave" was not included, so we could fit in some more unreleased material (i.e. "You Saw Me Comin'"). Girl On LSD is the same master as the b-side, but it was remixed to fit in with the other new mixes on this disc. (If you're into "hi-fi" and dynamic range, you'll like this mix.) I'm not sure if Disc 5 will be available for downloads. For sure it's not going to be on streaming services.

3) Disc 2: "All The Rest" was as Tom conceived and finished it in 2015. We did not want to alter it in any way. Climb That Hill Blues shares similar lyrics, but is a different melody and just guitar and vocal. Tom loved this and wanted it on the disc.

4) Disc 4 is all live material, mixed from multitrack sources from concerts as early as 1995 and as late as 2017 (no Saturday Night Live). Designed to flow together as one show, imagining the kind of set list Tom would come up with.

Finally, these discs are jam-packed with material. They are all sequenced to "tell a story". We all put a lot of thought into song selection and song order, as Tom was the master of the album art form.

That's where I'm at. Home recordings and such will be cool, but I would rarely ever throw them on. I'd be happy just to stream those, which I'm assuming will be available?

Looks like, right now, you can get digital of everything BUT the alternate versions for a crazy price of $30:

Back