Pre-Order Thread

Signed Purple version up at Rough Trade.

1594233104264.png

Use those discount codes if you got em..free shipping too now

For anyone who may be thinking

tripping daisy? Weren’t they a one hit wonder?

Yes. But instead of repeating their semi hit “I got a girl” they decided to do something more “mature” as the cliche goes. Though no one expected a leap from one hit wonder to weird experimental pop t classic LP. Like others compared it to, this had the smarts of Clouds Taste Metallic era Flaming Lips, but also had the emotional weight in some ways that the lips didn’t find until soft bulletin.

This album was an underrated triumph. A band re-inventing themselves as The Beach Boys meets dinosaur jr meets XTC meets hardcore era Devo with can thrown in for an aftertaste ? A strange combination that works.

Again, not far off from the mid-late 90s flaming lips era. But what separated these two at least for this record, unlike the flaming lips “she don’t use jelly” hit which almost felt like the lips stumbled on, with tripping daisy’s “Jesus hits like the atom bomb” it seemed like tripping daisy could write that song and 12 other hits in their sleep. “Sonic Bloom” on this album feels like it should have been one of the hits of summer. A breezy song somewhere between Pet Sounds “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” and something off sonic youth’s dirty that is brought together by Tripping Daisy’s front person, Tim DeLaughter’s uncanny ability to fit an epic song into 3 mins and use 5 different styles in that single song.

It helped to that Eric Drew Feldman (Captain Beefhart/PJ Harvey/The Pixes) handled production on this LP. In many ways he made this album both more experimental and grounded. Things are bombastic but with a purpose and a goal to keep you wondering what could happen next.

Songs like “About The Movies” and “Our Drive to the Sun/Can A man Mark it” are pop songs that are so epic in scale, they build and explode in ways that are just jaw-dropping. By the time the album closes with it’s Brainiac tribute and cover (which is a fitting tribute for both a great band/front person, but also a band that truly did have a big influence on parts of this record). You only begin to realize how special and unique this album is, especially for its time. The band were reaching for new heights here for post grunge/alternative (whatever dumb thing you’d like to call it). They also wanted to write a classic pop album, period.

After this record they were dropped from their label Island Records , which is no surprise considering the mainstream musical landscape in 1998. This was a record unfortunately no one in that world seemed ready for. But looking back 22 years and seeing where pop music, and guitar based music went, especially in the indie landscape post late 90s, it isn’t too far off to call this album ahead of its time. I’ve waited a long time for this to come out on vinyl. I cannot recommend this album enough. People talk a lot about undiscovered gems from the 90s. This record should be at top of that list. A gem not only from the 90s, but a gem all on its own.

Edit Note: Looks like the full 1000 copies are over half gone. If you aren’t sure. Take a listen to these two killer songs. I wouldn’t sleep on this.

I want to echo this sentiment 100%!! I listened to this album non stop in high school and have been waiting for this to be released on vinyl forever and I wasn't sure it would ever happen! I could not be more pumped.

If you want to learn more about Soul Step Records, come visit us in the VINYL CLUBS section of the site!
------------------------

Frontier Folk Nebraska / William Matheny Split Single 45 vinyl purchase details!

Soul Step Records is proud to announce the release of our newest release since the record pressing plants re-opened with a split single from Frontier Folk Nebraska & William Matheny! This collaboration brings two exciting new singles from these great artists that have been putting out amazing midwestern music over the past couple of years.

Frontier Folk Nebraska have been crafting their unique brand of Americana Midwest Rock over the years, opening up for the likes of Drive-By Truckers, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Jason Isbell and many more. “Blackhorse” was recorded March 11, 2019 in Water Valley, MS at Dial Back Sound Studios while on tour through the South. An historic studio that has captured the sounds of legendary blues artists for Fat Possum and is currently helmed by master engineer Bronson Tew and Drive By Truckers bass man, Matt Patton.

The B-Side features William Matheny, hailing from Morgantown, West Virginia. Rolling Stone Magazine calls William “Cerebral Alt Country from an unusually versatile singer.” He has a combination of heartland rock, Americana, and a keen ear for lyrics. Subtle and straightforward at the same time, “Mind For Leaving” will be a song you find yourself humming to for the rest of the day. We are excited to release a track from this up and coming singer/songwriter.

Soul Step Records will be releasing this split single from Frontier Folk Nebraska and William Matheny to Soul Step Record Subscribers on Saturday, July 11th. The general public sale will begin on Monday, July 13th. There will be a limited to 100 PEACOCK TEAL vinyl variant in addition to the standard black vinyl. We'll also have a small run of Wax Mage vinyl as well!

IMG_0112.jpg
IMG_0117.jpg

Use those discount codes if you got em..free shipping too now

Fantastic. Thank you.

Boldy James and Alchemist - The Price of Tea in China is coming out of vinyl Friday.
The prices are ridiculous, but it's there.

alcrecords.com

This is my favorite hip-hop record of the year; I am enamored with this. Thank you, but I'm not excited to see the price given your comment.

EDIT: Fuck.

I noticed my order for Gwen Stefani from UO is not showing in my order history. Usually preorders are there. Anyone else have same issue?

I noticed my order for Gwen Stefani from UO is not showing in my order history. Usually preorders are there. Anyone else have same issue?
My Gwen Stefani is showing on my orders page in UO! Something must be wrong with yours! Hopefully it shows back up again, but if not in the next few weeks, but Customer Service up!

As long as fans keep buying it enterprising parties are gonna capitalize. There is a tipping I am sure but it hasn’t been reached yet.

Mach Hommy is definitely trying his damnedest to reach that tipping point... these can't literally have sold out at those prices, right? and this is just a screen grab of a small portion of the releases on his site.

Screenshot_20200708-223944-01.jpeg

Back