Pre-Order Thread

Will probably be available at all your usual suspects too! Box set is ltd to 3,000 in north america (but now that I'm looking at it, seems like CD only with 2 7" records and I haven't seen a vinyl box set version yet but haven't looked all that hard yet!)
There is no vinyl box, just the stand-alone 1XLP. Which seems dumb, right? Why would you not package the vinyl single with the vinyl album?

There is no vinyl box, just the stand-alone 1XLP. Which seems dumb, right? Why would you not package the vinyl single with the vinyl album?
And just the stereo version, no mono second LP or anything, seems really odd, Or they don't think the vinyl will be a big draw.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the singles are in stereo and mono, the LP is in it's original Stereo release, it was not released in mono as best I can tell.

Last edited:
DOAH!
tenor.gif
Sorry - to clarify I was referring to a single LP reissue for $22.

It feels like recent legacy artist reissues (Petty, McCartney, Stones, Reed, Replacements) have not been offering a "just the album" version, and if so one priced below $25

I rarely find the need to spin vinyl of the unpolished outtakes, remixes, and live cuts ...and definitely don't need the fan club comb.

Sorry - to clarify I was referring to a single LP reissue for $22.

It feels like recent legacy artist reissues (Petty, McCartney, Stones, Reed, Replacements) have not been offering a "just the album" version, and if so one priced below $25

I rarely find the need to spin vinyl of the unpolished outtakes, remixes, and live cuts ...and definitely don't need the fan club comb.
No worries, I will agree though, it is "refreshing" :)

I typically don't care much for bells and whistles, but I would have liked to get the two singles with this release. "Apeman" may be my favorite Kinks song...
Its an odd packaging strategy for sure, why include 7" vinyl singles with CD's? Wouldn't the vinyl purchaser appreciate and or use them "more"??

And just the stereo version, no mono second LP or anything, seems really odd, Or they don't think the vinyl will be a big draw.
I *think* only the singles saw a mono release from that Kinks album so I don’t think a full mono album would be in the cards anyway. For what it’s worth, the album has always sounded really good to me. I have an German reissue from 1980 that sounds absolutely fantastic. Think I’ll throw it on this morning actually. I’ll pick up the standalone vinyl eventually and see how it compares.

I *think* only the singles saw a mono release from that Kinks album so I don’t think a full mono album would be in the cards anyway. For what it’s worth, the album has always sounded really good to me. I have an German reissue from 1980 that sounds absolutely fantastic. Think I’ll throw it on this morning actually. I’ll pick up the standalone vinyl eventually and see how it compares.
Yep, I added an "Edit" to my post ;)

I've had an OG on my want list for a while, but they're getting kind of pricey.

If there are any Kinks fans around, great album :)
View attachment 70929
Price dropped at Amazon and is now lower than Pop Market (for the record, but not the box set):

Its an odd packaging strategy for sure, why include 7" vinyl singles with CD's? Wouldn't the vinyl purchaser appreciate and or use them "more"??
It may be odd, but no matter how they sliced it, there'd be reason for at least minor complaint. If they'd packaged the singles with the LP, you'd be paying a good bit more than $20 for the LP, and I don't imagine I'm alone in being quite happy to get the LP for $20. And if you want all of what they're offering (outtakes, alternate versions, etc.), you can buy the box and the LP for under $100. That seems like a reasonable offer. The thing that surprises me is that they aren't offering all those extras on vinyl, but again, if doing so meant the only way to get the LP was to pay for a bundle, I'm satisfied with their choices.

This comment on album openers reminded me of a fun list I read/listened to a few weeks ago. It's a bit more specific, as it pertains to the best opening tracks on debut albums. It's fairly eclectic but obviously leans towards more popular artists:

Silver Jews' Random Rules belongs on that list for the opening line alone.

It may be odd, but no matter how they sliced it, there'd be reason for at least minor complaint. If they'd packaged the singles with the LP, you'd be paying a good bit more than $20 for the LP, and I don't imagine I'm alone in being quite happy to get the LP for $20. And if you want all of what they're offering (outtakes, alternate versions, etc.), you can buy the box and the LP for under $100. That seems like a reasonable offer. The thing that surprises me is that they aren't offering all those extras on vinyl, but again, if doing so meant the only way to get the LP was to pay for a bundle, I'm satisfied with their choices.
They could offer 7"s alone, just like the ones they already reissued of their earlier material.

Back