Pre-Order Thread

More than you think. Small stores are increasingly getting cut out of the major label distribution (cough*anything owned by Sony*cough) and have to use third-party distributors for stock.

I had no idea stores had to get stock from so many different sources.

My local let slip he could get a Sub Pop album for about $12 so I thought that was the going rate for single LP's. Started thinking i should open a record store.. Maybe not.

I had no idea stores had to get stock from so many different sources.

My local let slip he could get a Sub Pop album for about $12 so I thought that was the going rate for single LP's. Started thinking i should open a record store.. Maybe not.
Yep. Guy I know that owned a shop (closed for a few years now) couldn’t compete when Amazon was selling below his cost. Most places, depending on volume, are trying to make 35-40 points on an album. Higher volume you can take the margin hit. Certain, generally smaller labels (like Merge or SubPop) are friendlier to indies and will sell direct which helps retailers keep prices competitive while maintaining the margins - plus other stuff like giveaway items, exclusives, promo swag, etc.

Yep. Guy I know that owned a shop (closed for a few years now) couldn’t compete when Amazon was selling below his cost. Most places, depending on volume, are trying to make 35-40 points on an album. Higher volume you can take the margin hit. Certain, generally smaller labels (like Merge or SubPop) are friendlier to indies and will sell direct which helps retailers keep prices competitive while maintaining the margins - plus other stuff like giveaway items, exclusives, promo swag, etc.

So now I feel bad that stores are having some challenges, however Vinyl Cup's approach seems a little hostile.

My local will have it for $28.99, and I'm not paying shipping so its a wash.

So now I feel bad that stores are having some challenges, however Vinyl Cup's approach seems a little hostile.

My local will have it for $28.99, and I'm not paying shipping so its a wash.

Retail on many consumer goods (jewelry and clothing NOT included) is relatively low. An old standard retail markup can be figured by taking cost x 1.67 so

$1 x 1.67 = $1.67

This yields a 40% margin over cost:
$1.67 - 40% = $1

So at Vinyl Cup’s stated cost $18.99. A fair retail price would be $18.99 x 1.67 = $31.70 or $32. So $28 or so is a good price for everyone. Store can make a fair profit and the consumer gets a decent deal.

This sounds like a lot of profit until you start multiplying how many $$$ in gross sales you need to make a profit after labor, rent, and other overhead. This is why used record sales can be so important because the margin can be many times higher if they score a really nice used collection on the cheap.

OTOH For sure the tone of the Vinyl Cup posting sounded a little harsh. And, I’d be worried about the part in Vinyl Cup’s terms warning about taking orders when they are not sure how many copies they will be getting. Every store can sometimes oversell preorders if they get shorted but it is much better to undersell and be able to fill all your orders. That is very bad business if it happens repeatedly.

You will likely forget what you paid a lot faster than you will forget you got shorted out of a record you really wanted that is unobtainable at anywhere close to the original retail price.

Last edited:

Swing Kids - Anthology LP

Justin Pierson's old Screamo band before he started The Locust. He was also famous for starting the old Emo Spoke/Romulan haircut which became an old scene staple.

RIYL: Saetia, Antioch Arrow, Heroin, A**factor 4, I Hate Myself, Jerome's Dream, Orchid etc.

4LPs and a book..

beychella
53 bucks minus shipping

4LPs and a book..

beychella
53 bucks minus shipping

Say hwat?

Screenshot_20201018-145204.jpg

I hope that's in MXN Pesos 😂

Back