Pre-Order Thread

I know they're cash grabs but I'm actually impressed that they seem to have colors that match the album covers. If they are items that actually needed a new color pressing is a different discussion.
I’m kinda curious where these are all coming from. If they’re the same originating plant as the original album or if they subcontracted with a plant somewhere that’s churning these out from plates they’re licensing. I have no idea at all, but would be curious to see some of the dead wax/run outs to know.

Walmart (and Target) exclusives have to be a huge sign of the vinyl bubble bursting. At least I hope because it's definitely a sign that Vinyl collecting has jumped the shark.
I think I'd disagree. Anyone with deep pockets has been able to get into the exclusive game for a while now, plus Target and Wal-Mart have always been huge sellers of music (CDs specifically), and I feel they've done exclusive stuff with CDs for a while now.

Jumping the shark IMO would be if Jiffy Lube started to carry records. "MOTORHEAD EXCLUSIVE AVAILABLE ONLY HERE VROOM VROOM BETCHES"

Walmart (and Target) exclusives have to be a huge sign of the vinyl bubble bursting. At least I hope because it's definitely a sign that Vinyl collecting has jumped the shark.
I keep thinking that maybe with Target and Walmart in the whole vinyl game, maybe we’ll start seeing prices dropping back to unsilly numbers, but VMP says no

I keep thinking that maybe with Target and Walmart in the whole vinyl game, maybe we’ll start seeing prices dropping back to unsilly numbers, but VMP says no
listen, you can either pay $40 for something from VMP and it might show up damaged and late or you can spend $25 on it from a big box with actual customer service teams. it's all about the curation...

I wouldn't take it that way personally. It's definitely a cash grab but I don't think that the eight billionth variant of any of these is going to hold huge collector's value and I don't think (or hope?) that no one is scooping these up with an appreciation expectation. Walmart and Target's strategies also seem to differ for me. Target aims for high-popularity pop releases as well as albums that were never printed/went out of print from classic/legendary artists (as well as high end GH represses like Wally World). Walmart is willing to go more for older GH re-releases. Both of these make sense based on their expected markets to me. I think if anything it's a really good sign for the industry that huge retailers are willing to dedicate shelf and warehouse space to a larger, more finicky, premium priced physical medium when their whole business model is to not do that. It makes a lot more sense for a Walmart, Target, etc. to take on "exclusivity" of basic pressings of high popularity artists that one of the vinyl curation clubs doesn't have much interest in. The consumers is possibly buying as a gift or, if for themselves, will prioritize different things than the audiophiles that traditionally inhabit this space.

Like...the AT-120 is the highest end turntable in Amazon's listing with a TON of Victrola/Crosley knock off/All-in-ones, there's a big market for people trying to get in cheaply and listen to the things Walmart/Target are exclusively pressing here.

If anything, it feels a lot more like sports cards to me where the "retail" market and "hobby" market are two very different beasts with re-seller overlap.

(Edit: Now is it a bubble? Quite possibly. I know a lot of money I'd normally spend on live shows or, in prior years, digital ownership has been consolidated into Spotify and left me a good amount of free money to go towards physical ownership of vinyl. It's really possible that in 2022, if live shows are back, it reverses where the commemoration of music is standing in a crowd as opposed to owning the vinyl...we'll see.

I wouldn't take it that way personally. It's definitely a cash grab but I don't think that the eight billionth variant of any of these is going to hold huge collector's value and I don't think (or hope?) that no one is scooping these up with an appreciation expectation. Walmart and Target's strategies also seem to differ for me. Target aims for high-popularity pop releases as well as albums that were never printed/went out of print from classic/legendary artists (as well as high end GH represses like Wally World). Walmart is willing to go more for older GH re-releases. Both of these make sense based on their expected markets to me. I think if anything it's a really good sign for the industry that huge retailers are willing to dedicate shelf and warehouse space to a larger, more finicky, premium priced physical medium when their whole business model is to not do that. It makes a lot more sense for a Walmart, Target, etc. to take on "exclusivity" of basic pressings of high popularity artists that one of the vinyl curation clubs doesn't have much interest in. The consumers is possibly buying as a gift or, if for themselves, will prioritize different things than the audiophiles that traditionally inhabit this space.

Like...the AT-120 is the highest end turntable in Amazon's listing with a TON of Victrola/Crosley knock off/All-in-ones, there's a big market for people trying to get in cheaply and listen to the things Walmart/Target are exclusively pressing here.

If anything, it feels a lot more like sports cards to me where the "retail" market and "hobby" market are two very different beasts with re-seller overlap.

(Edit: Now is it a bubble? Quite possibly. I know a lot of money I'd normally spend on live shows or, in prior years, digital ownership has been consolidated into Spotify and left me a good amount of free money to go towards physical ownership of vinyl. It's really possible that in 2022, if live shows are back, it reverses where the commemoration of music is standing in a crowd as opposed to owning the vinyl...we'll see.
Look some people (me) collect 7", some are variant/artist completists.
The big box dive into the Vinyl pool certainly adds a wrinkle to that.

Someone out there is going to be the guy/gal that decides to be the Walmart Variant completist and will get 5 min in some 60 Minutes piece about the resurgence of Vinyl or a segment on a Discovery Channel show about collectors.

Look some people (me) collect 7", some are variant/artist completists.
The big box dive into the Vinyl pool certainly adds a wrinkle to that.

Someone out there is going to be the guy/gal that decides to be the Walmart Variant completist and will get 5 min in some 60 Minutes piece about the resurgence of Vinyl or a segment on a Discovery Channel show about collectors.

Hey, that's my new angle.

It also seems companies get out of the game before the proverbial bubble actually bursts. They think (know) they can grab a quick buck but they overexert themselves due to lack of knowledge of the demographic as a whole and end up having to liquidate most, if not all, stock as a result. So it's like the bubble is bursting for retailers, but not the industry as a whole. Hot Topic comes to mind in this example. They likely view it as a fad instead of a sustainable form of revenue.

It also seems companies get out of the game before the proverbial bubble actually bursts. They think (know) they can grab a quick buck but they overexert themselves due to lack of knowledge of the demographic as a whole and end up having to liquidate most, if not all, stock as a result. So it's like the bubble is bursting for retailers, but not the industry as a whole. Hot Topic comes to mind in this example. They likely view it as a fad instead of a sustainable form of revenue.
This feels right. I doubt anyone is going to start viewing them as loss-leaders like Best Buy did through the 90s.

But I’m still curious if these are all coming through the usual production channels or if there’s a McRecord factory churning these things out separately.

Back