Pre-Order Thread

All those philharmonic ones are awful. My dad keeps buying them and I have to grimace my way through them all. The vocals and the backing track just don’t seem to have been put together right and the arrangements are just weird.
This is the first one that really caught my eye. I mean I did just buy a Johnny Mofi for God’s sake. It’s not as awful as I expected, but it’s bizarre there’s this orchestral swell and banging piano thing. There is a choral deal I like. I just... what the fuck is the market here? Is your dad buying that many copies?

This is the first one that really caught my eye. I mean I did just buy a Johnny Mofi for God’s sake. It’s not as awful as I expected, but it’s bizarre there’s this orchestral swell and banging piano thing. There is a choral deal I like. I just... what the fuck is the market here? Is your dad buying that many copies?

Hahaha! The Roy Orbison one is weird, the vocals are in time but seems to be floating off in a different universe to the orchestra. The Beach Boys one is pointless. The philharmonic are a good orchestra but most of the main stuff was recorded orchestrally to begin with, it’s sorta redundant and on both I don’t like all the orchestral or choral choices.

I think they’re for people like my dad who historically bought and listened to a lot of music but have almost completely given up on new stuff and recognise and respect the royal philharmonic name. Basically selling old rope for new money to people in their 60s.

Has anyone ordered anything from Drag City recently? I preordered the new Bill Callahan, and when it shipped this is the message I got:

Keep in mind that all orders are shipped via USPS First Class or Media Mail, depending on weight, so they may take a few days to arrive and there's no tracking number. In our know-everything digital age, isn't it nice to get a surprise in the mail every once in a while? We think so and hope you'll agree.

Now...that’s all fine I guess, but we all know very well that USPS First Class and Media Mail both do come with tracking numbers, so...why do they pretend otherwise?

Has anyone ordered anything from Drag City recently? I preordered the new Bill Callahan, and when it shipped this is the message I got:

Now...that’s all fine I guess, but we all know very well that USPS First Class and Media Mail both do come with tracking numbers, so...why do they pretend otherwise?
I ordered a Silver Jews record from them, as well as one by GBV. I got tracking, but it said it was from some person, not Drag City itself, so I was confused. Regardless, they came without any problems.

I did Silver Jews recently and it came fine and quickly.

I ordered a Silver Jews record from them, as well as one by GBV. I got tracking, but it said it was from some person, not Drag City itself, so I was confused. Regardless, they came without any problems.
Come to think of it, my Informed Delivery shows a media mail package on the way from Austin. I wonder if these didn’t ship from Chicago in the first place and so DC couldn’t tell me the info because they simply didn’t have it.

Edit: And to be clear I’ve ordered from Drag City multiple times in the past and never NOT gotten tracking, or had any issues with them in general, so that’s why this seemed strange.

Not available for pre-order quite yet, but I’m pretty excited about this!

This has to have been out there for a while, and it's a bootleg. On the back it says "Last week, Kanye announced the tracklist for Yandhi"... By last week, they're referring to September...2019. Then Yandhi slowly became Jesus Is King. So I guess I wouldn't hold my breath.

I ordered a Silver Jews album from them on August 16 and received it August 24.

EDIT: Should have added, I did get a tracking number with my shipping notification.

Last edited:

Come to think of it, my Informed Delivery shows a media mail package on the way from Austin. I wonder if these didn’t ship from Chicago in the first place and so DC couldn’t tell me the info because they simply didn’t have it.

Edit: And to be clear I’ve ordered from Drag City multiple times in the past and never NOT gotten tracking, or had any issues with them in general, so that’s why this seemed strange.
I've placed six orders from them over the past two years. All have originated in Chicago. The first five orders included that "no tracking number" nonsense in the item shipped email. But, for the most recent order, placed about one month ago, I received two emails, one with tracking from a shipping entity and one without from DC. I guess it goes along with their ethos, no free downloads, only black vinyl. I also use Informed Delivery, so their secrets aren't really.

Less of a preorder, more of a repress. But wonderful, nonetheless.

0021620933_10.jpg

Last edited:
Four Tet’s There Is Love In You is getting a 10 year anniversary reissue! It will be a 3xLP pressing, with the last LP containing remixes of the album! I’m keen to get it! 🙋‍♂️

I really hope VMP do an exclusive of this pressing! They did a Four Tet Essentials ROTM in the past, so I can imagine them doing an exclusive of There Is Love In You! 🤞

International shipping from Fat Beats is ridiculous. Nearly USD$40 just for shipping alone for me! So yeah, I really hope VMP do an exclusive of this one! 🙏

Four Tet’s There Is Love In You is getting a 10 year anniversary reissue! It will be a 3xLP pressing, with the last LP containing remixes of the album! I’m keen to get it! 🙋‍♂️

I really hope VMP do an exclusive of this pressing! They did a Four Tet Essentials ROTM in the past, so I can imagine them doing an exclusive of There Is Love In You! 🤞

International shipping from Fat Beats is ridiculous. Nearly USD$40 just for shipping alone for me! So yeah, I really hope VMP do an exclusive of this one! 🙏

I don't think it's likely, for a couple of reasons: this was remastered already for this repress; and I don't think Four Tet ever does color vinyl variants (I might be wrong, but pretty sure). So, maybe VMP adds this exact same record to their store, but I'm doubtful it would be some exclusive any different than this one.

Regardless, this is exciting repress news.

Back