Pre-Order Thread

The song “Summertime” off their 1997 album Static & Silence was my introduction to them. I wasn’t familiar with their debut until a few years after that.
I think it might have been an early 90s college thing. Like I said earlier in the thread, I would equate them to Echo and the Bunnymen in terms of level of success/popularity. They are fondly remembered by those that were there and have enough to get new listeners in the occasional reissue but they were somewhere between like The Cure and “cult” act. Like The cure are on one side and Dead Can Dance are on the other side.

I think it might have been an early 90s college thing. Like I said earlier in the thread, I would equate them to Echo and the Bunnymen in terms of level of success/popularity. They are fondly remembered by those that were there and have enough to get new listeners in the occasional reissue but they were somewhere between like The Cure and “cult” act. Like The cure are on one side and Dead Can Dance are on the other side.
Yeah, I was 8 years old when this album was released. It didn’t register with me at the time.

What?
When did this happen?
Who downgraded them to "cult" status?

Tad is a 90s cult band .
Girls against Boys is 90s cult band.
Needs Atomic Dustbin is a 90s cult band
Binki Kill might be a 90s cult band.

But back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth, you could not escape the Sundays Cover of "Wild Horses". I think it even made it into a beer commercial at some point.
Do you know how many college kids had the "Reading Writing and Arithmetic " poster hanging in their dorm in 1991? You couldn't hook up in the girls dorms in 1993 without hearing Blind on repeat.

One could argue that the vacuum they created by going on hiatus instead of cranking out their third album lead directly to the success of The Cranberries and The Cardigans.

Cult band.....
This is what happens when you get old - history gets re-written without you knowing about it.
Maybe I can slide them into the 90's music scene of bands who became popular years and years later and the need for their records to be reissued or first time ever pressed on vinyl was in high demand. Kinda like when people got excited for PUSA, Toadies, Semisonic, tons of Shoegaze stuff etc.

But sure, I remember their popularity back then, but it felt brief and latter half of the 90's became replaced by the boy bands and Brittany Spears scene.

But sure, I remember their popularity back then, but it felt brief and latter half of the 90's became replaced by the boy bands and Brittany Spears scene.
That goes from a good chunk of Alt Rock though. Nirvana blew up. Things got fun and weird for a few years then in early `96 The Spice Girls dropped “Wannabe” and things took a drastic turn. I still remember watching the video for “Wannabe” for the first time and being really confused by it. Prior to that, for pretty much the entire time I had been watching MTV, Mainstream MTV was Alt Rock, Hip-Hop, & R&B.

I'm just talking about their sound. I picked up this album 5-6 years ago on RSD and it sounded awful, I'd give this one a shot if it sounds better.
I’ll let you know when I get my copy. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, will give most “audiophile” labels a shot.

Maybe I can slide them into the 90's music scene of bands who became popular years and years later and the need for their records to be reissued or first time ever pressed on vinyl was in high demand. Kinda like when people got excited for PUSA, Toadies, Semisonic, tons of Shoegaze stuff etc.

Who got excited for Semisonic? 25 year old me would throw a Birkenstock at your head for even suggesting that The Sundays and Semisonic were somehow artistically equivalent.

I would posit that a more proper Sundays equivalent is The Fugees.

I don’t even know what Semisonic is. Thank you for fixing my oversight?

Semisonic’s cover of Prince’s “Erotic City” is pretty good. They also did a respectable take on The Hollies’ “The Air That I Breathe.”

And “Singing In My Sleep” is an incredible single. They should be more famous for that than they are for “Closing Time” IMO.

Dan Wilson has written or co-written quite a few songs you know that were recorded by other artists. And his solo work is decent. “Free Life” is a great song.

But I’ve never heard of The Sundays.

Back