Pre-Order Thread

No indication that Bon Iver is limited, so I'll wait and pick it up from my local. Definitely looking for this version's sound to improve on the OG.

How would it? There is no mention of a remaster, money says it's 100% that same shitty 2010's CD master stamped onto vinyl. Jagjaguwar isn't a label renowned for giving a shit about sound quality over just having something on vinyl

How would it? There is no mention of a remaster, money says it's 100% that same shitty 2010's CD master stamped onto vinyl. Jagjaguwar isn't a label renowned for giving a shit about sound quality over just having something on vinyl
People were mentioning that the other ones have been better quality. Another reason why I'm waiting.

the last two reissues they did of Bon Iver's were both big upgrades over the first issues. For Emma was WAY better and pressed at RTI. Plus this one has to be recut for vinyl because it's on 2 discs instead of 1. doesn't ensure a total remaster, but i'd wager it sounds better based on the last two.

the last two reissues they did of Bon Iver's were both big upgrades over the first issues. For Emma was WAY better and pressed at RTI. Plus this one has to be recut for vinyl because it's on 2 discs instead of 1. doesn't ensure a total remaster, but i'd wager it sounds better based on the last two.
I can confirm that the For Emma anniversary vinyl sounds pretty nice.

To be fair, For Emma has always been pressed at RTI and has never sounded good. QC is just not there for Jagjaguar. Never picked up the 10th anniversary but I think I might get the self titled.

This dude just consistently puts out great records.

1629127882278.png

Pretty certain there will be a VMP variant on Wednesday as well.

To be fair, For Emma has always been pressed at RTI and has never sounded good. QC is just not there for Jagjaguar. Never picked up the 10th anniversary but I think I might get the self titled.

The whole of secretly group is a hot mess when it comes to vinyl mastering and more often than not pressing too. Very occasionally they release something surprisingly good (Moses Sumney, for example) which gives them an unfairly good name given the overall picture.

The whole of secretly group is a hot mess when it comes to vinyl mastering and more often than not pressing too. Very occasionally they release something surprisingly good (Moses Sumney for example) which gives them an unfairly good name given the overall picture.
the last few I have ordered from them have been pretty good actually. i don't order a ton, but i was under the impression that they were improving. moses grae sounds awesome. Jamila Woods sounds good and the recent Bon Ivers sounded solid to me. their secretly society pressing of Tallest Man on Earth was also nice. I may just be lucky in the titles i picked though.

The whole of secretly group is a hot mess when it comes to vinyl mastering and more often than not pressing too. Very occasionally they release something surprisingly good (Moses Sumney, for example) which gives them an unfairly good name given the overall picture.
I was surprised the the latest Japanese Breakfast came in a nice sturdy gatefold sleeve and sounded really good. Had to double check it was actually still Dead Oceans

the last few I have ordered from them have been pretty good actually. i don't order a ton, but i was under the impression that they were improving. moses grae sounds awesome. Jamila Woods sounds good and the recent Bon Ivers sounded solid to me. their secretly society pressing of Tallest Man on Earth was also nice.

I will admit to having bought none of them. Of the ones I bought this year Durand Jones and Aaron Fraser were ok, nothing more nothing less. I’ve still not got over just how bad Punisher was last year! The EP of hers this year wasn’t a great pressing or master either, not as good as the lossless streaming.

I have the initial press of For Emma done by Kevin Gray at RTI and it's definitely a good pressing (they did a repress later that year using a different engineer). The second LP I think is bad across the board, so I'm happy about a potential remaster here. The Blood Bank reissue was a huge improvement.

I will admit to having bought none of them. Of the ones I bought this year Durand Jones and Aaron Fraser were ok, nothing more nothing less. I’ve still not got over just how bad Punisher was last year!
Forgot about Aaron Fraser. Mine sounds quite good haha. Smiffy mastered it (don't think he cut it though).

Yea--Punisher was bad and not as good as the streaming at all which sucks. Their other stuff hasn't been nearly as awful.

Forgot about Aaron Fraser. Mine sounds quite good haha. Smiffy mastered it (don't think he cut it though).

Yea--Punisher was bad and not as good as the streaming at all which sucks. Their other stuff hasn't been nearly as awful.

No it’s a low but I’ve a lot of their stuff going back the last 10 years and it’s all generally a pretty flat master and noisy vinyl. Punisher is a nadir and nothing is quite as bad as that but I can’t bring myself to describe them as anything even approaching good on the back of a few decent presses.

I will admit to having bought none of them. Of the ones I bought this year Durand Jones and Aaron Fraser were ok, nothing more nothing less. I’ve still not got over just how bad Punisher was last year! The EP of hers this year wasn’t a great pressing or master either, not as good as the lossless streaming.
Yeah, Punisher is maybe the saddest mastering/pressing combo I've ever purchased. I definitely have some really good sounding Secretly stuff though, too. With how big they are now (they have pretty much have all the biggest current indies across their labels), I think they move a ton of units and will just generally be hit or miss.

Sadly, it probably can't be in their best interest to prioritize QC with how many projects/units they need to get to market. That, and I'm guessing a huge portion of their customer base has shitty TTs and just doesn't care.

Yeah, Punisher is maybe the saddest mastering/pressing combo I've ever purchased. I definitely have some really good sounding Secretly stuff though, too. With how big they are now (they have pretty much have all the biggest current indies across their labels), I think they move a ton of units and will just generally be hit or miss.

Sadly, it probably can't be in their best interest to prioritize QC with how many projects/units they need to get to market. That, and I'm guessing a huge portion of their customer base has shitty TTs and just doesn't care.
i'd agree that they definitely aren't consistent. they aren't a series of labels that work with one or two engineers to handle all their vinyl masters or anything. that's why it's all over the place. i wish they were more consistent because they have a lot of great artists on their labels but i thought they seemed to be doing better lately.

Yeah I’ve had a few good ones too. Honestly my gripe isn’t that they’re all punisher, because thankfully they’re not, just that 8 or 9 times of out ten they settle for the vinyl being pretty much a just about acceptable level of below average.

Last edited:
i'd agree that they definitely aren't consistent. they aren't a series of labels that work with one or two engineers to handle all their vinyl masters or anything. that's why it's all over the place. i wish they were more consistent because they have a lot of great artists on their labels but i thought they seemed to be doing better lately.

I don’t think that’s realistic at their volume. Their actual A&R is brilliant and they release a large amount which makes them a fantastic label for breaking younger artists to the mainstream. But that sheer volume means that you’re not going to be able to channel everything through one or two guys unless they’re in house and the best guys now seem to want to be freelance.

Back