Pre-Order Thread

Wasn’t until I saw Bob Dylan’s documentary and saw some archive footage of her performing in a casual setting that I caught a glimpse of what makes her so special. So I know I can get into her, just need to devote the time.

Back in 1998(?) I was lucky enough to catch back-to-back nights of a tour with Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Van Morrison. I saw them at the Gorge Amphitheater in Eastern Washington state. They'd rotate headliners each night. I remember Joni doing a Dylan impression one of the nights. I also remember the urgency we felt to see Dylan "before he died."

Repress!
Picked this up along with Public Enemy’s Apocalypse 91, using the code UL20OFF came to $52 shipped for both! I’ve been wanting that PE title for a long time! Just wish they’d put repress Fear Of A Black Planet to 2LPs. Nothing that’s an hour long should ever be put onto a single LP, especially something as dense as that.

Not sure if this was posted here, Numero is releasing a gorgeous splatter version of Challenge For a Civilized Society by Unwound.

That cover looks cool!

Not sure if this was posted here, Numero is releasing a gorgeous splatter version of Challenge For a Civilized Society by Unwound.
I purchased all of the Unwound box sets last time they were on sale or I would be all over this.

Oh, I snagged that as soon as it went live the other day. Revolver has been killing it with their vinyl releases and the wealth of quality content from Fu Manchu this past year has been incredible 😎

I remember you being a big Fu Manchu fan so I try to tag people who I know like certain bands when a preorder goes up.

This set, along her following 2 albums, constitute the 1st phase of her career. This is all pure folk; almost exclusively woman and guitar. I'd say this set is a very good representation of that period, the following 2 albums are a bit more poppy and hit-oriented. To answer your question; Yes these are the best 4 Joni "pure folk" albums. You can really hear her lyrics progress across these records. If I didn't have my moms old copies in good condition I'd be swiping this up. Since its a double dip now its a bit trickier.

For the record, her folk-jazz period is my favorite.
Love me some Joni. I've always dug the big folk 'classics' and flirted a little bit with her jazzier phase, Mingus and Hejira mainly. But I've had a beat up copy of Hissing of Summer Lawns that I threw on randomly and wow, that album is WILD and really cool. Don't think I heard people talk about it enough, or I just wasn't talking to the right people perhaps.

Love me some Joni. I've always dug the big folk 'classics' and flirted a little bit with her jazzier phase, Mingus and Hejira mainly. But I've had a beat up copy of Hissing of Summer Lawns that I threw on randomly and wow, that album is WILD and really cool. Don't think I heard people talk about it enough, or I just wasn't talking to the right people perhaps.
I haven’t listened to every one of Joni’s albums, but for me, Hejira and Hissing of Summer Lawns are my favorites. That being said, I did order the box set, because I do love Blue, and want to explore more of her earlier records.

Ooohhhh yyeeaahh!

My dad is a fan of Joni Mitchell and I basically grew up with the songs from "Ladies of The Canyon" and "Blue". However, my dad also highlighted that "Blue" was her best album which somehow prevented me from exploring her other albums as I thought I knew "peak Joni" and wanted to discover other amazing artists instead of going into "lesser" Joni albums.

It wasn't until much later I decided to really dive into her discography. "For The Roses" was the album that started my personal Joni obsession. The melodies on that particular album are amazing and I loved that the arrangements started to get more expansive on this album. Court & Sparks never really clicked with me as I'm naturally drawn to the more somber melodies. The Hissing of Summer Lawns and especially Hejira were another revelation though. The latter one is one of my all-time favourite albums. The sound of the guitars and Jaco's bass plus Joni's voice and lyrics, across nine flawless tracks...

To this day, my father and I listen to her music together when I visit him. He loves how much I got into her music during adulthood, but his favourites remain "Ladies" and "Blue", whereas I prefer "Hissing" and "Hejira"... So "For the Roses" remains the best compromise for the two of us.

Last edited:
I will add that i have been lucky to pick up many Joni albums over the past few years from 50¢ to $3 each. Fortunately I got Blue before the rise in price. I even got a white label promo of Ladies of the Canyon (damaged sleeve) for under a buck.
That’s all I can think of when I saw that box set announced. It took me a while to track down a cheap Blue, but I regularly see most of her other albums in the $5-$10 range.

I haven’t listened to every one of Joni’s albums, but for me, Hejira and Hissing of Summer Lawns are my favorites. That being said, I did order the box set, because I do love Blue, and want to explore more of her earlier records.
I had a buddy i worked with many years ago who would play some of her 80s-90s stuff and I thought he was a crazy person. Couldn't stomach that production style in my early twenties. Now as I cruise into middle age I find myself dabbling in that era. It's for sure hit or miss, but I've given a lot of spotify listens to Night Ride Home recently and really digging it. Keep thinking of looking for some version on vinyl.

I love all the Joni talk! I can’t add much more that hasn’t been said, but thought I’d add this video. I watch a lot of Rick Beato’s vids, I love the nuts and bolts breakdowns he does. And apparently Joni loved this video too.

Despite probably being older than most/all of you, I haven't spent much time w/ Joni Mitchell b/c I don't really listen to anything folk-ish, but I'm well aware of how highly regarded she is.

I really enjoy Rick Beato, but I'm not a musician and always feel like I can't fully appreciate how good his videos are bc he focuses on technical aspects of a song.

So this Beato/Joni video recommendation is a much-appreciated, great combination for me bc he explains very clearly (even if in technical terms) some of the reasons Joni Mitchell is so brilliant. Really enjoyed it and will probably hear Joni differently going forward. Thanks!

Anyone have any details on this release? Curious about the source. My Jamaican pressing from UDisvover just got an additional delay for September.

Back