Pre-Order Thread

does anyone know where i can find 180g version in-stock of Floating Points, Pharoah Sanders & the London Symphony Orchestra - Promises?i know the are doing a pre-order for a re-press wish i wouldn't have slept on this.

Is this a good place to start with Joni Mitchell? I've given Blue a couple tries but don't think I've ever been in the right headspace to fully digest what was going on so it passed without much though. Are these four quintessential Joni albums that could help me come to love her? Kind of willing to say fuck it for the package! Did the same thing with that Chet Baker boxset from Craft and now I'm hooked on his music.

Is this a good place to start with Joni Mitchell? I've given Blue a couple tries but don't think I've ever been in the right headspace to fully digest what was going on so it passed without much though. Are these four quintessential Joni albums that could help me come to love her? Kind of willing to say fuck it for the package! Did the same thing with that Chet Baker boxset from Craft and now I'm hooked on his music.
I wouldn't say the first two are essential but Ladies and Blue are. She covered a lot of ground in her career. Hejira is also a masterpiece and a different mood than these.

Blue is a classic. It’s a very personal and quite heavy record. I can get not getting it right away. Her debut is merely ok. Its far from essential. Clouds is much more accessible, I really like it. Ladies of the Canyon has some classic singles on it but I’m not as keen on it as an album.

Whilst I’d always contend that Blue is her star piece the other classics are outside this box. For The Roses and Court & Spark for the more accessible sound and Hejira for the more experimental sound.

This set, along her following 2 albums, constitute the 1st phase of her career. This is all pure folk; almost exclusively woman and guitar. I'd say this set is a very good representation of that period, the following 2 albums are a bit more poppy and hit-oriented. To answer your question; Yes these are the best 4 Joni "pure folk" albums. You can really hear her lyrics progress across these records. If I didn't have my moms old copies in good condition I'd be swiping this up. Since its a double dip now its a bit trickier.

For the record, her folk-jazz period is my favorite.

Back