Pre-Order Thread

It’s the way things work with online commerce. Sellers assume risks with product damage until delivery (no matter the reason). I’m not saying it’s always fair but it’s the best option.

With that said (and agreed!) on, I know some retailers or at least web stores are adding in language to cover themselves. I think we have seen that on those $1 route protection charges, so that may be shifting a bit. However, given Amazon's super hassle free return policy (you don't even need to pack the item back up anymore, just bring it to a UPS store) and Paypal's very buyer friendly default position, this is probably how most retailers are forced to be.

It'll be interesting to see if and how that shifts over time. I know other collectable companies are much less amenable on this front, so this could shift I guess.

I never had an issue with Bull Moose but I rarely have their stuff shipped since I have a store 20 miles down the road I visit twice a month anyway, so I usually just pickup. The mailers seemed pretty sturdy though so definitely an unfortunate series of events there.

With that said (and agreed!) on, I know some retailers or at least web stores are adding in language to cover themselves. I think we have seen that on those $1 route protection charges, so that may be shifting a bit. However, given Amazon's super hassle free return policy (you don't even need to pack the item back up anymore, just bring it to a UPS store) and Paypal's very buyer friendly default position, this is probably how most retailers are forced to be.

It'll be interesting to see if and how that shifts over time. I know other collectable companies are much less amenable on this front, so this could shift I guess.

I never had an issue with Bull Moose but I rarely have their stuff shipped since I have a store 20 miles down the road I visit twice a month anyway, so I usually just pickup. The mailers seemed pretty sturdy though so definitely an unfortunate series of events there.

I think that the other issue is that as the buyer you’re not the delivery companies ultimate customer. You have zero recourse with them. Only the buyer can claim that money back.

PayPal are great from both sides though. I’m happy as a seller too to pay the fee knowing that if I do everything correctly and keep proof of postage I am completely covered too with the seller protection.

It’s the way things work with online commerce. Sellers assume risks with product damage until delivery (no matter the reason). I’m not saying it’s always fair but it’s the best option.
I don't know if that's necessarily a given truth if a seller offers an option that does include insurance that the buyer declines to pay for (not sure if Bull Moose does or not), but doesn't them offering to replace it upon return also meet that expectation? Seems reasonable to me.

Ahh. To live close to a great rec store like Bullmoose or Plaidroom. My options have always been much more limited and involve day trips not quick stops to check the "just in section". For me it is mail order or bust. But I have become an expert on how many ways a vinyl record can be damaged in shipment.

If it was an isolated incident then it would be a shipper problem as this package was obviously mistreated although the open ended boxes are more likely to get caught up in automated machines (as this one did).

I used to order from Bullmoose a lot as they have maybe the best/simplest preorder policy around. Ultimately, I got so many damage items mostly consisting of split seams and dinged corners that I started looking for other options. I think it is a combination of the open ended shipping boxes that are not quite strong enough for a good toss and loose packing that allows the album(s) to slightly move when handled roughly causing seam splits.

Again this could be my bad luck. Bullmoose is a reliable business but shipping damage is a major concern and in my personal case of BM orders my sample size was large enough it was a trend. And I do not exchange most items so I was left with lots of damage.
I'm sorry you've had bad luck with them. I don't think there is a single retailer/seller that I have ordered multiple times from where I haven't experienced these issues. Especially seam splits. The only ones that reliably prevent seam splits are the ones that will remove the vinyl from the sleeves for you, which is a shame that it isn't standard upon request. I don't agree with some on here who seem to assert they can always be prevented, with proper packing, inside the sleeves. Especially thin custom inner sleeves. The risk can be reduced, for sure. Always a disappointing game ordering vinyl through the mail. Wish there was a foolproof simple way.

Last edited:
Juno just cancelled my Loveless order. No email. Says canceled in my account order page. FYI. Check yours.
So, Juno made an attempt to gaslight me. After I sent them an e-mail asking for confirmation of a refund, they apologized and told me the transaction was voided. However, they said that they did not cancel these without notice and that I have the e-mail. And to check my junk folder if it's not in my inbox. Nothing in my junk folder. I told them as much. They then insisted again and finally apologized after another back and forth and said they'd pass it on to their production team.

It's not a big deal and willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but this whole Cinnamon Toast Crunch fiasco (and VMP in general) has really soured me on brand customer service and how they handle mass-issues.

I don't know if that's necessarily a given truth if a seller offers an option that does include insurance that the buyer declines to pay for (not sure if Bull Moose does or not), but doesn't them offering to replace it upon return also meet that expectation? Seems reasonable to me.
It’s not gospel but it’s an overwhelming standard.

As a buyer, I very VERY rarely pay for anything if it’s not PayPal goods and services. The protection is there with them. I’ve never had to make a CC claim for a damaged item due to mail carrier neglect but I would imagine it’d be there as well.

I think that covers like 95%+ of online commerce transactions. PayPal or CC, those are your options. Even if something else comes along later, I’ve already come to expect that protection and am not willing to give it up.

As a seller, I understand the opportunity costs associated with losing potential customers because I refuse to offer them that protection.

Last edited:

Don't want to steal the thread but the best sellers 1) package things very well so the damage loss will be very low and then 2) make the return/exchange hassle free for long term customer loyalty. There just are not enough of them.

To draw attention to the positive, I have had countless PlaidRoom orders without damage. Seldom a split seam. Never a damaged corner even remotely caused by how they packed the order. The one time I had a serious problem with a box set order, PlaidRoom bent over backwards to fix it even though it was likely not technically their fault. No effort or expense on my part.

PlaidRoom actually had a new box set drop shipped to me directly from another dealer (as they were out of stock) and included a prepaid return label so I could send them back the damaged Bob Mould box set once I had the new replacement in hand.

Expertly packed to prevent damage and stellar zero hassle customer service if needed. I have had great luck with PlaidRoom.

Last edited:
So, Juno made an attempt to gaslight me. After I sent them an e-mail asking for confirmation of a refund, they apologized and told me the transaction was voided. However, they said that they did not cancel these without notice and that I have the e-mail. And to check my junk folder if it's not in my inbox. Nothing in my junk folder. I told them as much. They then insisted again and finally apologized after another back and forth and said they'd pass it on to their production team.

It's not a big deal and willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but this whole Cinnamon Toast Crunch fiasco (and VMP in general) has really soured me on brand customer service and how they handle mass-issues.
Juno usually only sell when in stock and don’t do preorders. I love Juno, but when they have offered preorders I’ve only receive c40% of them and the rest have end up cancelled. Some I’ve had to chase up to get cancelled

Juno usually only sell when in stock and don’t do preorders. I love Juno, but when they have offered preorders I’ve only receive c40% of them and the rest have end up cancelled. Some I’ve had to chase up to get cancelled
Yeah I feel bad that they got caught up in this mess. I guess no one could’ve seen it coming given how long Loveless hung around last time. It’s hard to gauge demand sometimes based on secondary prices (Frank Ocean aside)

New Cold Cave. All variants are sold out except for purple and the pic disc. Not sure if they will do more or not. The variants sold out very quickly.

New Cold Cave. All variants are sold out except for purple and the pic disc. Not sure if they will do more or not. The variants sold out very quickly.

oh fuck I guess I gotta get this. New song sounds like a New Order/Cure hybrid (tbf most Cold Cave songs do, which I love). snagging the purple

harvey-pj-peel-sessions-1991-2004

Harvey, P.J.

Peel Sessions 1991-2004​

I've used Juno for years and love them (except that they've just in the last few weeks doubled postage prices to Norway so I don't think I'll use them much in the future). But they never used to do pre-orders as, as others have noted, they normally only sell stuff when they actually get it. For that reason, I've never done a pre-order with them, always waiting for it to come in stock first. The other issue with them, especially with RSD stock, is that they list stuff as pending that they don't always get. If it's incredibly important to you, you can burned waiting for them. (I learned the hard way with Otis' Live at Monterey so won't do that again). But when things work well - like today with Sturgill Simpson where they were 70% cheaper than my local - Juno can be unbeatable.

I've used Juno for years and love them (except that they've just in the last few weeks doubled postage prices to Norway so I don't think I'll use them much in the future). But they never used to do pre-orders as, as others have noted, they normally only sell stuff when they actually get it. For that reason, I've never done a pre-order with them, always waiting for it to come in stock first. The other issue with them, especially with RSD stock, is that they list stuff as pending that they don't always get. If it's incredibly important to you, you can burned waiting for them. (I learned the hard way with Otis' Live at Monterey so won't do that again). But when things work well - like today with Sturgill Simpson where they were 70% cheaper than my local - Juno can be unbeatable.
They’re great for 7s, hip hop and funk and edits which is a lot of what I’m interested in. They do a lot of bootlegs as well, so working out if something is kosher or not can be difficult as well

For those on the Parannoul hype train he re issues the cassette limited to 400

Edit:. If anyone knows the truck to posting bandcamp links please let me know.

This is the first time I really wished I had a tape player. This needs to be pressed on wax - and before that I'd love to just have it available on streaming.

Anyone have any of the other pressings of this? I never bought it due to people complaining about the sound.
They are readily available in the wild, I stumble across them all the time.

My Local has two copies in the the VG+ Used bin for $13...I almost purchase it every time I'm in there.
Then I realize, I dont really NEED this release on Vinyl and I buy something else.

(**Their website is not great).

Back