Portland / Oregon

September is fine, and The Walkmen will be in town 9/26 & 9/27 at The Aladdin. I have tickets for both nights, of course. Here are my plans for the next ~6 months.

Kassi Valazza @ Mississippi Studios 5/27
Brandee Younger @ The Old Church 6/8
Billie Marten @ Mission Theater 6/11
Protomartyr @ Wonder Ballroom 7/5
Bonny Doon / Anna St. Louis @ Doug Fir Lounge 7/8
Victoria Bailey @ Topaz Farm 8/17
Samia @ Wonder Ballroom 8/25
Kassa Overall @ Mississippi Studios 8/26
The Walkmen @ The Aladdin 9/26
The Walkmen @ The Aladdin 9/27
Shame / Disq @ Revolution Hall 10/4
Margo Cilker @ Polaris Hall 11/18
I'm thinking of going to that Walkmen show too. And was about to check some of the other venues too. Bonny Doon would be good, but not sure I can make it in time. Protomartyr is usually fantastic too, so might do that.

Not that anyone asked, but for right now...

[May 19] Tim Hecker @ Holocene
[May 20] Khemmis, Conjurer, Wake @ Mississippi Studios
[Aug 27] Black Country, New Road @ Crystal Ballroom
[Sep 15] Swans @ Revolution Hall
[Sep 27] Little Simz @ Roseland Theater
[Nov 10] Genesis Owusu @ Star Theater

Maybe a few more later.

Maybe a few more later.
This lineup is way more into my tastes. What are good resources for finding shows in the area? As of now I'd just have to look at the calendars for each venue y'all toss out.

This lineup is way more into my tastes. What are good resources for finding shows in the area? As of now I'd just have to look at the calendars for each venue y'all toss out.
I usually use Instagram and follow each of these small venues' accounts, as they are very prompt when announcing new show dates before the artists themselves do so (in my experience).

I think we have listed most of the key venues. For what it's worth, Crystal Ballroom has some of the worst sound / dynamics of any venue I have been to, anywhere. I would avoid unless it's a show you just can't imagine missing.

I think we have listed most of the key venues. For what it's worth, Crystal Ballroom has some of the worst sound / dynamics of any venue I have been to, anywhere. I would avoid unless it's a show you just can't imagine missing.
Haha, I wonder how it stacks up against Municipal Auditorium in Nashville which is also atrocious. Essentially the sound starts swirling around the bowl and sounds like you're in a sonic washing machine.

Haha, I wonder how it stacks up against Municipal Auditorium in Nashville which is also atrocious. Essentially the sound starts swirling around the bowl and sounds like you're in a sonic washing machine.
Ha! Yeah, that could be worse...maybe. At the Crystal, the sound is always washed out, bouncing off the walls while the floor is vibrating. Oh, and there are very few good sight lines. I always try standing near the soundboard, assuming that the sound must be dialed in at that one location. Nope!

@debianlinux Agree with all of that from @hatfieldpdx. Although I would say I love September in Portland, the weather is usually just perfect. And there are a ton of shows coming through the area that month at some of the smaller venues. I'm guessing music and/or drinks could get this group together. It's been much needed for a while!
I also think September is nicest month but that’s begun to change as fire season has expanded in scope and duration over the past decade or so.

Maybe a few more later.
Yeah, saw Squid announced for Feb 2024 too

Absolute truth. It's soooooooo bad. If anyone does go, get in the line between the stage and the soundboard on the right. It's the only area I've had decent luck with.

@Matt M have you been to a show at Canby? I'm curious if they'll allow me to bring a poster tube in and if they have an on-site box office so I can get a printed ticket because "my phone died 😉"
We went for the Wild Hare fest last year, but I don't think it'll be the same area. I guess I have no idea though. I think this is a new thing they're doing out there, so I'd keep my eye open on rules they may send out as we get closer. They might have a contact list somewhere to ask those questions.

You might try the kiosk at Mississippi Studios or Revolution Hall for etix. I've been able to print quite a few tickets there for shows sold by etix. But for some reason it didn't work for all of them. I'll let you know if I get by there, and I'll try and print off for Social Distortion.

Unfortunately confirmed. I have 2 tickets for Friday and Saturday of the National for sale. Hit me up if you're interested

Back