Portland / Oregon

Still have two tickets available for Tortoise at Revolution Hall on Tuesday. Hit me up!
Was down in Death Valley with the family for spring break, or I would have been all over it. Still bummed they had to reschedule their earlier show – they literally postponed about 5 minutes before they were about to go onstage, so I was already at Rev Hall!

Was down in Death Valley with the family for spring break, or I would have been all over it. Still bummed they had to reschedule their earlier show – they literally postponed about 5 minutes before they were about to go onstage, so I was already at Rev Hall!
I already had tix so couldn’t help out w the extras. It was a great show. Sorry you guys missed it.

I wasn't too far from you in Palm Springs. Bummed to have missed, I've heard nothing but good things on the socials. Almost thought about driving to LA on Friday to see them, but it seemed like a lot and would've had to leave the kid. Did make it to Tallest Man On Earth at Pappy & Harriet's on Saturday in Pioneerville. Cool place with some solid BBQ. Able to see Death Valley Girls warm up inside for the late night show while we ate too!

I already had tix so couldn’t help out w the extras. It was a great show. Sorry you guys missed it.
It was a fantastic time.

Nice to see some activity in this thread! I've been down in Antarctica for the past 6 weeks, and definitely looking forward to live music upon my return. I've got the following lined up:

Immanuel Wilkins on 4/2 (Jack London)
Haley Hendericxx on 4/14 (Mississippi Studios)
Petite League on 4/15 (Honey Latte)
Brandee Younger on 6/8 (Old Church)
Billie Marten on 6/11 (Mission Theater)

Sad to miss Tortoise due to spring break - and I won't be back in time to catch Andy Shauf, who is always great.

I'm seeing different times for petite league. What time does your ticket or email confirmation say?

I'm seeing different times for petite league. What time does your ticket or email confirmation say?
Looks like a 7 pm start time, but there are two openers. The funny thing is it doesn't even seem to be listed on the venue's event page.

There's a good chance I will have to sell my tickets to see The National next month. I have 2 tickets to both shows. I won't know for sure until it's closer but wanted to give a heads up in case someone is interested

I've been eyeballing Portland as a potential destination for some live music and quirky culture. I prefer the local guides as opposed to the tourist things. What's the best time of year to visit and is there anything going on in the future that might bring a bunch of N&Gers together?

I've been eyeballing Portland as a potential destination for some live music and quirky culture. I prefer the local guides as opposed to the tourist things. What's the best time of year to visit and is there anything going on in the future that might bring a bunch of N&Gers together?
Our summer weather is ideal, and it seems to have arrived early this year. Pickathon is a great local festival that takes place the first full weekend of August, 20 minutes east of town in Happy Valley. @Matt M and I are regulars, perhaps some others go from time to time? In any case, it's always an under the radar lineup (especially true this year) focused on discovery of artists about to break out, with an incredibly wide range of genres represented. You are more or less guaranteed to go home with 3-4 bands that you can't stop listening to, and can't wait to see again live. The festival has also been at the vanguard of sustainability for quite a while. While I think the overall quality of the experience has slipped a bit from peak years, it's still very worth your while. You can also volunteer to cover the cost of your weekend pass (I drive the artists around the farm in a Gator).

Otherwise, you should check the schedule for Topaz Farm (on Sauvie Island, just west of town) or Edgefield (just east of town). They both have a wide range of shows, and are some of our better outdoor venues. The former is focusing on lesser known roots and country artists this year, while the latter is owned by McMenanins and features national touring artists. Edgefield also has a hotel, which can make it a fun place to stay, though it's not all that easy to get into Portland. If you stay in town, Laurelthirst has great local music most nights, usually free during happy hour and $5-10 in the evenings. Jack London Revue and 1905 are the best jazz clubs. Plenty of other quality venues, with live music most nights.

Let us know when you plan to come, and I'm sure we can arrange a meetup. We are overdue!

Our summer weather is ideal, and it seems to have arrived early this year. Pickathon is a great local festival that takes place the first full weekend of August, 20 minutes east of town in Happy Valley. @Matt M and I are regulars, perhaps some others go from time to time? In any case, it's always an under the radar lineup (especially true this year) focused on discovery of artists about to break out, with an incredibly wide range of genres represented. You are more or less guaranteed to go home with 3-4 bands that you can't stop listening to, and can't wait to see again live. The festival has also been at the vanguard of sustainability for quite a while. While I think the overall quality of the experience has slipped a bit from peak years, it's still very worth your while. You can also volunteer to cover the cost of your weekend pass (I drive the artists around the farm in a Gator).

Otherwise, you should check the schedule for Topaz Farm (on Sauvie Island, just west of town) or Edgefield (just east of town). They both have a wide range of shows, and are some of our better outdoor venues. The former is focusing on lesser known roots and country artists this year, while the latter is owned by McMenanins and features national touring artists. Edgefield also has a hotel, which can make it a fun place to stay, though it's not all that easy to get into Portland. If you stay in town, Laurelthirst has great local music most nights, usually free during happy hour and $5-10 in the evenings. Jack London Revue and 1905 are the best jazz clubs. Plenty of other quality venues, with live music most nights.

Let us know when you plan to come, and I'm sure we can arrange a meetup. We are overdue!
@debianlinux Agree with all of that from @hatfieldpdx. Although I would say I love September in Portland, the weather is usually just perfect. And there are a ton of shows coming through the area that month at some of the smaller venues. I'm guessing music and/or drinks could get this group together. It's been much needed for a while!

Not taking any big trips this year, so been buying/eyeing a lot of concerts.

Dan Mangan this Sunday at Doug Fir, and hoping to drop in to see Waylon Payne at Al's Den if I don't have too many beers golfing and the gal doesn't drink too much wine while wine tasting :)

Blitzen Trapper @ The Ruins
The Minus 5 and The No Ones w/Elf Power at Mississippi Studios
Social Distortion in Canby
Jason Isbell in Bend
Tears for Fears in Bend
Mountain Goats/Blitzen Trapper in Pioneer Courthouse Square
Patti Smith in Pioneer Courthouse Square
Spoon/Weezer in Bend
Exploding Hearts at Revolution Hall
Blake Mills at The Old Church
Mike Viola at Polaris Hall
Mike and the Moonpies at Polaris Hall
Margo Cilker at Polaris Hall
EDIT: Alabaster DePlume at Polaris Hall

Guess should be noted going out of town for a couple things too. Ohana Fest, and Pink/Brandi Carlisle with friends in Vegas. Was hoping to overlap with some U2 tickets in Vegas.

I really need to get a part time paying job for records and concerts!

Last edited:
I don’t know how The Exploding Hearts are playing Revolution Hall, but I will show up for whatever version of that band plays.

@debianlinux Agree with all of that from @hatfieldpdx. Although I would say I love September in Portland, the weather is usually just perfect. And there are a ton of shows coming through the area that month at some of the smaller venues. I'm guessing music and/or drinks could get this group together. It's been much needed for a while!
September is fine, and The Walkmen will be in town 9/26 & 9/27 at The Aladdin. I have tickets for both nights, of course. Here are my plans for the next ~6 months.

Kassi Valazza @ Mississippi Studios 5/27
Brandee Younger @ The Old Church 6/8
Billie Marten @ Mission Theater 6/11
Protomartyr @ Wonder Ballroom 7/5
Bonny Doon / Anna St. Louis @ Doug Fir Lounge 7/8
Victoria Bailey @ Topaz Farm 8/17
Samia @ Wonder Ballroom 8/25
Kassa Overall @ Mississippi Studios 8/26
The Walkmen @ The Aladdin 9/26
The Walkmen @ The Aladdin 9/27
Shame / Disq @ Revolution Hall 10/4
Margo Cilker @ Polaris Hall 11/18

Not taking any big trips this year, so been buying/eyeing a lot of concerts.

Dan Mangan this Sunday at Doug Fir, and hoping to drop in to see Waylon Payne at Al's Den if I don't have too many beers golfing and the gal doesn't drink too much wine while wine tasting :)

Blitzen Trapper @ The Ruins
The Minus 5 and The No Ones at Mississippi Studios
Social Distortion in Canby
Jason Isbell in Bend
Tears for Fears in Bend
Mountain Goats/Blitzen Trapper in Pioneer Courthouse Square
Patti Smith in Pioneer Courthouse Square
Spoon/Weezer in Bend
Exploding Hearts at Revolution Hall
Blake Mills at The Old Church
Mike Viola at Polaris Hall
Mike and the Moonpies at Polaris Hall
Margo Cilker at Polaris Hall
EDIT: Alabaster DePlume at Polaris Hall
Wild to see that we both have plenty of shows lined up, but Margo the only overlap. Eclectic tastes...

Back