Portland / Oregon

Focusing on jazz. I’m sure I’m missing something but …

Dig Vinyl is best for used jazz, although their pricing can be inconsistent relative to vinyl grade and other stuff. Sometimes it’s favorable, where something seems oddly low. But also high prices on killer old albums that are not in the right condition for the price.

Vinyl Resting Place has had good used jazz, including a killer collection a few weeks ago that probably still has some good stuff. I picked up a sweet copy of Chico Freeman Spirit Sensitive from that stuff.

Too Many Records has a small but always interesting use djazz section, with some good stuff on the wall. Specks has small section but fair prices with an occasional gem.

2nd Ave Records and Music Millennium have the BN and some, other audiophile reissue series, MM probably more quantity in the not-bad upstairs jazz section. MM prices can be higher. Jackpot will have some BN reissues

Hi friends. I’m going to Portland next week with the Mrs. and I need recommendations for record stores. Any that focus on jazz or classic rock would be great. Any stores that keep audiophile or rarities are also welcome.
I think @Portland Sheriff mentioned all of the ones that would be in your best interests.

Out of the 20+ record stores in Portland, I only frequent three: Musique Plastique, Mississippi Records, and 2nd Ave Records (and sometimes Final Form). Of those, Mississippi Records would be my recommendation, for reasonably-priced items across all genres. They tend to well-stock the "classics," if you will. Sometimes they get in some OGs of random items, as the owner (who was in Europe earlier this month) and other shop employees travel overseas from time to time to add to the world music section.

Focusing on jazz. I’m sure I’m missing something but …

Dig Vinyl is best for used jazz, although their pricing can be inconsistent relative to vinyl grade and other stuff. Sometimes it’s favorable, where something seems oddly low. But also high prices on killer old albums that are not in the right condition for the price.

Vinyl Resting Place has had good used jazz, including a killer collection a few weeks ago that probably still has some good stuff. I picked up a sweet copy of Chico Freeman Spirit Sensitive from that stuff.

Too Many Records has a small but always interesting use djazz section, with some good stuff on the wall. Specks has small section but fair prices with an occasional gem.

2nd Ave Records and Music Millennium have the BN and some, other audiophile reissue series, MM probably more quantity in the not-bad upstairs jazz section. MM prices can be higher. Jackpot will have some BN reissues
should have added Tomorrow Records, a shop I like. For used jazz, only bother with new arrivals bins and the wall. The main Jazz bins are a graveyard (to me).
1685646486617.png

Hi friends. I’m going to Portland next week with the Mrs. and I need recommendations for record stores. Any that focus on jazz or classic rock would be great. Any stores that keep audiophile or rarities are also welcome.
I think most of the best options have been mentioned, but I would second the Mississippi Records recommendation. It's a local institution, and when you consider selection, price, and knowledge/insight paired with the welcoming vibe, you really can't go wrong. Also, most of their own releases are $16 (or less) for a single LP and $21 for a double LP. You can peruse the MR releases via the link below. They also have great prices on the International Anthem releases, which I appreciate. And don't forget, no sales tax!

EDIT: if you make it, I highly recommend picking up the latest Cairo Soul compilation for $21 (see below)

Last edited:
If you like to dig, Crossroads might be worthwhile too. Multiple vendors with different genres and pricing structures.

I’d like to chime in with Little Axe, a small shop in the Hollywood District that I think is affiliated with Mississippi. I almost always walk out of there with too much. Plus, it’s near my favorite movie house ever, the Hollywood Theater, and the Moon and Sixpence nearby is great for a pint.

found a signed Mose Allison album in the new arrivals section at Tomorrow Records and some hot fire OG Blue Notes at Dig.

Portland slaps.
I agree. If you have more time in town for records, Little Axe and Mississippi definitely are worth a visit. I also enjoyed chatting up Matt and Matt at Too Many Records, and their selection isn’t bad. I’ll have to see if I can find time for Tomorrow and Dig. I’d kinda like to check out Crossroads, but I think it would be too overwhelming at this point.

Having recently spent 2 days digging through Portland record stores, and as an outsider, I can offer the following obviously subjective perspective. I visited 6 shops and Crossroads Music. I was interested in used records almost exclusively--rock, jazz, indie, psych. Here's my ranking.

1 and 2 were Little Axe and Tomorrow Records, and it's hard to say that one was better than the other because I thought both were great. Selection was plentiful and prices were reasonable.

3 was Mississippi, praise for which has been offered by many. It's a shop with a very cool vibe, and the vintage equipment area next door is mind-blowing!

4th was Too Many Records. This place is run by two young guys, Matt and Matt, who seem to be into records at least as much as collectors as proprietors. Their selection was a bit more limited, but they had good stuff. Prices might have been a bit higher here than the first three shops.

#5 was Clinton Street Records. Definitely a cool shop with a lot to offer, but not much along the lines of what I was looking for.

Last on my list was Music Millenium. It was one of the last places I went to and after all the smaller, clearly independent shops, I just wasn't digging the vibe at MM. For my tastes, too many people working there for the kind of personal service the other shops offer, too much of a corporate feel to the place (which may be completely misguided on my part, but man, it's fucking huge), and given the size of the place, not a great selection of used records. For new stuff, on the other hand, this place seemed to have it all (except for a copy of Wednesday's Rat Saw God, which I was looking for).

Crossroads Music is a different beast altogether, apples to oranges where comparison is concerned. 50 vendors in one place, or something like that. I only had 90 minutes before it closed for the day, and that wasn't quite enough time. Even so, I made my way through most of the place, looking for efficiencies and realizing that the first clue was to look only at records in jackets that were sleeved, since these were the 'better' records. There was a lot of stuff that looked like it probably had come to Crossroads directly from a thrift store, but there also were some great records, and they tended to come in bunches (presumably because if a vendor had a few good records, they likely had a bunch). I tapped a few veins and have the impression it's a place worth visiting. If I lived in the area, I'd probably go there at least every couple of months, though it would be a bitch trying to figure out what might be new each time.

I've been to a bunch of cities where I checked out the local record shops (Boston, Madison, Seattle, NYC, Atlanta, Boise), and I can't say I've ever experienced anything quite like Portland. So many shops, and so many good shops. It's also true that this was the first time I've been traveling alone while digging, and there definitely is something to be said for not feeling like I'm on the clock, or worrying about who I may be pissing off by taking time for going to record stores, but even so, wow.

Last edited:
Thank you for visiting PDX, @Russ I!
1 and 2 were Little Axe and Tomorrow Records, and it's hard to say that one was better than the other because I thought both were great. Selection was plentiful and prices were reasonable.
I haven't been to Little Axe in several months, and perhaps I will remedy that this week! Tomorrow Records is OK, but that's mostly from my preferences in genre.
3 was Mississippi, praise for which has been offered by many. It's a shop with a very cool vibe, and the vintage equipment area next door is mind-blowing!
A definite landmark. Best prices. Sometimes they have dogs sleeping/greeting customers in the store!
4th was Too Many Records. This place is run by two young guys, Matt and Matt, who seem to be into records at least much as collectors as proprietors. Their selection was a bit more limited, but they had good stuff. Prices might have been a bit higher here than the first three shops.
I was only there once (a few weeks after they opened), and it seems they have made the store more comfortable w/listening station and chairs. I'm not a fan of the owner (with the YouTube channel), but I'd be willing to give it another chance. Prices weren't great from what I remember. The loyalty punch cards that I've seen people get after making purchases (from my understanding) is interesting, but I don't know about specifics. Maybe a PDX user here can elaborate?
#5 was Clinton Street Records. Definitely a cool shop with a lot to offer, but not much along the lines of what I was looking for.
Also an OK shop.
Last on my list was Music Millenium. It was one of the last places I went to and after all the smaller, clearly independent shops, I just wasn't digging the vibe at MM. For my tastes, too many people working there for the kind of personal service the other shops offer, too much of a corporate feel to the place (which may be completely misguided on my part, but man, it's fucking huge), and given the size of the place, not a great selection of used records. For new stuff, on the other hand, this place seemed to have it all (except for a copy of Wednesday's Rat Saw God, which I was looking for).
Nail on the head; among the worst. @Dead C's online experience from years ago, although funny to read, was unfortunate to see. Almost all new releases/reissues are $3-8 more than most other stores that have been mentioned. Bunch of tacky toys/knickknacks on the walls of the CD section and near the register. To their credit, they do hold a few events (one in the summer with free beer + food) with discounted stock. A couple of free in-store concerts as well.
Crossroads Music is a different beast altogether, apples to oranges where comparison is concerned. 50 vendors in one place, or something like that. I only had 90 minutes before it closed for the day, and that wasn't quite enough time. Even so, I made my way through most of the place, looking for efficiencies and realizing that the first clue was to look only at records in jackets that were sleeved, since these were the 'better' records. There was a lot of stuff that looked like it probably had come to Crossroads directly from a thrift store, but there also were some great records, and they tended to come in bunches (presumably because if a vendor had a few good records, they likely had a bunch). I tapped a few veins and have the impression it's a place worth visiting. If I lived in the area, I'd probably go there at least every couple of months, though it would be a bitch trying to figure out what might be new each time.
Haven't returned in ~2 years just because of the overwhelming nature, but it's a nice experience.

May be unloading a few things that are likely not worth the effort on Discogs. Wondering where you have all had the best luck trading things in locally? Which shop(s) would you recommend?

May be unloading a few things that are likely not worth the effort on Discogs. Wondering where you have all had the best luck trading things in locally? Which shop(s) would you recommend?
I have a friend that just sold a bunch of reggae stuff at Too Many Records on Lombard and was super happy with what they gave. I talked with him when in there a while back, and he said they're paying decent to build inventory.

My locals over the bridge gives 50% discogs cash and a little more for trade

Back