PopTarts Unite!

I also don't mean for that statement to knock it if it is your cup of tea, just sounds like something I'm okay with not seeking out.

Had to confirm that it was him and not some other generic singer dude, but I actually caught some of his set because he played right after Alex Lahey. I distinctly recall it being very whatever.

I'd wager a bet that less than half of people who like that song actually knows who sings it.

(once again, not knocking anyone who does like the song)

Lewis Capaldi's music isn't really for me, but I find the guy hilarious.

okay, I only watched the top one but I am now in the Capaldi crew. he gets rollin' about 45 secs in, definitely doesn't take himself seriously and I love it.

prob still gonna skip his music tho

I am dying! He's really funny. I want to hang out with him (if he promises not to sing). And I now wish him nothing but more success.

Only been a month but there's been a lot of pop albums out recently, can't say I'm enamoured by any of them though.

Selena Gomez - it's fine, but Selena is the least interesting thing about the album, zero charisma held up by some rather nice crisp production. There are a couple of good songs on it but listening through just feels like you've hit that section of the New Music Friday playlist that has lots of MOR female synthpop from Scandinavia.

Kesha - On the opposite side of the scale we have High Road which is the antithesis to Rare, an album filled with personality, so much so I'd even go to say she's... kinda annoying. It reminds me a bunch of Lizzo's album last year that ended up being such a letdown, a bit of subtlety goes a long way. It's an admirable effort but I find it loses a lot of charm that she had on her earlier tracks like The Harold Song or Stephen.

Georgia - Hate how disappointed I am in this, it's not bad but besides the singles which were too infectious to be left in this box of synthpop that's too cold and jarring to be catchy, yet not rule breaking enough to be anything remarkable either.

Halsey - Out of the big major label pop girls so far (with Selena and Kesha), this is my favourite so far. Halsey shines through with some of the lyrics, simple yet the delivery really sells it. Bit too many slower acoustic tracks, but even they hold some gems like More.

Favourite pop albums of the year so far are probably Pet Shop Boys and Poppy, but wouldn't give them any higher than a 7 or 8.

Only been a month but there's been a lot of pop albums out recently, can't say I'm enamoured by any of them though.

Selena Gomez - it's fine, but Selena is the least interesting thing about the album, zero charisma held up by some rather nice crisp production. There are a couple of good songs on it but listening through just feels like you've hit that section of the New Music Friday playlist that has lots of MOR female synthpop from Scandinavia.

Kesha - On the opposite side of the scale we have High Road which is the antithesis to Rare, an album filled with personality, so much so I'd even go to say she's... kinda annoying. It reminds me a bunch of Lizzo's album last year that ended up being such a letdown, a bit of subtlety goes a long way. It's an admirable effort but I find it loses a lot of charm that she had on her earlier tracks like The Harold Song or Stephen.

Georgia - Hate how disappointed I am in this, it's not bad but besides the singles which were too infectious to be left in this box of synthpop that's too cold and jarring to be catchy, yet not rule breaking enough to be anything remarkable either.

Halsey - Out of the big major label pop girls so far (with Selena and Kesha), this is my favourite so far. Halsey shines through with some of the lyrics, simple yet the delivery really sells it. Bit too many slower acoustic tracks, but even they hold some gems like More.

Favourite pop albums of the year so far are probably Pet Shop Boys and Poppy, but wouldn't give them any higher than a 7 or 8.
I agree that Georgia disappointed me. I just didn't connect with any of it.

And yeah, so far the Halsey is my favorite of the 4 you highlighted. Just don't call Kesha annoying again (because I love her and there is little she can do wrong). ;)

I agree that Georgia disappointed me. I just didn't connect with any of it.

And yeah, so far the Halsey is my favorite of the 4 you highlighted. Just don't call Kesha annoying again (because I love her and there is little she can do wrong). ;)
I know it’s been brought up already, but I predict Dua Lipa will be the leader for the first half of the year

I love the new Selena Gomez and Halsey. Havent really given Kesha a shot, as Ive never been a huge fan and this doesnt really seem to be the one to change minds.

But yeah, Dua is going to be the one to watch.

I tried to tell you a couple weeks ago, you just chose to ignore it ;) haha
I listened to the Dua Lipa Switched on Pop episode last night. OMG. It is now one of my favorites. I loved all the influences they went into. And all the parts of the song I wasn't hearing without them pointing it out.

And yeah, song of the year after listening to that. Amazing.

I listened to the Dua Lipa Switched on Pop episode last night. OMG. It is now one of my favorites. I loved all the influences they went into. And all the parts of the song I wasn't hearing without them pointing it out.

And yeah, song of the year after listening to that. Amazing.
Better than “Physical?” That’s a tough pick between the two...

Better than “Physical?” That’s a tough pick between the two...

The podcast convinced me of the brilliance of Don't Start Now. If someone gave me an in depth analysis of Physical, then I'd probably be convinced that she is the songwriter of the year. Lol Both are fantastic songs and I am very excited for her full album.

The podcast convinced me of the brilliance of Don't Start Now. If someone gave me an in depth analysis of Physical, then I'd probably be convinced that she is the songwriter of the year. Lol Both are fantastic songs and I am very excited for her full album.
...working on in-depth analysis now. I’ll let you know when it’s ready

Back