PopTarts Unite!

What are the 3 songs that you think best represent pop in the 2010s? Let us know. I'll collect these nominations until next Monday. You must nominate 3 songs (please include the artist name). I've also included space for you to give your reasoning. Please try to keep this part to only a few sentences. I'll then seed the nominations - I'm not sure how many we'll go with - depends on how many noms we get. I'll send out a bracket next week and will include the reasoning for each song. We'll then vote on the bracket until we come up with our top pop song that best represents the 2010s. More on all of that later. For now - get your noms in!!!!

Done!

(@Teeeee I'm sorry to go off topic a bit but I need to say this)

I hate when this happens, but I also love it when it happens.
Let me talk about that has been absolutely ruined for me.
Let me talk a second about

It's a cute song. She sings it in the strongest British accent ever, which makes the song a little funny. The lyrics are like a chronicle of a relationship that is not working anymore, but the melody and the production makes it cute. The video, with all those pastel colors, is almost naive.

And today I was in the bus going to the office and I was listening to this song and I saw it from a different perspective (for the first time in... 12 years -ffs how come this song is so old already?).
What if this couple has a kid.
Like, a seven years old child. Who can see how his parents are having these constants passive-aggresive fights but they are not separating.
So the kid is the witness of everything that she is saying.

And then, "Foundations" became one of the saddest things I've listened in my life. I'm sure that it has a lot to do that I see a lot of these situations around me, these couple who can't stand each other but they stay together "for the kids".
I don't know how -if- I'm going to listen to this song again without considering that. But damn, it makes me sad AF.

/end rant.

(@Teeeee I'm sorry to go off topic a bit but I need to say this)

I hate when this happens, but I also love it when it happens.
Let me talk about that has been absolutely ruined for me.
Let me talk a second about

It's a cute song. She sings it in the strongest British accent ever, which makes the song a little funny. The lyrics are like a chronicle of a relationship that is not working anymore, but the melody and the production makes it cute. The video, with all those pastel colors, is almost naive.

And today I was in the bus going to the office and I was listening to this song and I saw it from a different perspective (for the first time in... 12 years -ffs how come this song is so old already?).
What if this couple has a kid.
Like, a seven years old child. Who can see how his parents are having these constants passive-aggresive fights but they are not separating.
So the kid is the witness of everything that she is saying.

And then, "Foundations" became one of the saddest things I've listened in my life. I'm sure that it has a lot to do that I see a lot of these situations around me, these couple who can't stand each other but they stay together "for the kids".
I don't know how -if- I'm going to listen to this song again without considering that. But damn, it makes me sad AF.

/end rant.

Have you seen the show Glow? She acts in it. All three seasons.

Have you seen the show Glow? She acts in it. All three seasons.

Yes, and I love it. It's one of the best things on Netflix.
Her character was kind of intrascendental in the beggining, but the last season that changed 180º. Her relationship with Bash is so weird and so cute at the same time.
Now I want to watch the three seasons again.

Yes, and I love it. It's one of the best things on Netflix.
Her character was kind of intrascendental in the beggining, but the last season that changed 180º. Her relationship with Bash is so weird and so cute at the same time.
Now I want to watch the three seasons again.

I should do a rewatch before the final season. I've only ever watched all of it once.

I’ve been really thinking and now I’ve got five songs which I think defined pop in the 2010’s! I’ve got them! I just cannot eliminate two of them! It’s soooooo hard! I’m going to have to really spend time with them all for the next few days!

It’s like, I’m about to eliminate Lizzo’s Juice from my top 5, but that song is too special. The vintage funk, empowering, confident boosting, irresistibly fun anthem that I think perfectly encapsulated those intangible things we want; self-love, to be knowingly retro, having confident sassy-ness etc.

Lizzo is boasting so much, but she doesn’t sound arrogant or pretentious. Instead, all her lyrics contagiousy inclusive of the listener and makes them realise to Love every bit about themselves. “Mirror, Mirror, On The wall, Don’t say it cause I know I’m cute”. That opening line is such a statement!

I just don’t know if I can take Juice off. It’s about to be eliminated in my head but it makes me want to kind of cry doing so.

Lorde’s Royals might be the other one I’m taking out, but it’s hauntingly, spare.....just freaking Billie Eilish sounding beat and the lyrics about being a suburban kid, knowing the luxe life isn’t for you and that, it’s your friends which are what is royalty, not materials etc. Her, low-pitched, rebellious yet innocent, sincere, husky vocals are everything in that song. I just CAN’T, take this song off as well...

Lana Del Rey - Video Games
Robyn - Dancing On My Own
Lizzo - Juice
Beyoncé - Formation
Lorde - Royals

These are the five songs which I think beautifully captured pop music in the decade. All five tracks have this patriotic essence in them, but also have this victorious/winning feeling entrenched deep within them.

I’m going to go listen to these five songs and really think hard about which three are making my list!

54 songs by 38 artists have been nominated as of now.

Don't want Shake It Off to be #1? Get your noms in!

Don't want Robyn to rule over it all? Get your noms in!

Irate that Bey doesn't appear until the 10th slot? Hey, guess what? Get your noms in!

:)

54 songs by 38 artists have been nominated as of now.

Don't want Shake It Off to be #1? Get your noms in!

Don't want Robyn to rule over it all? Get your noms in!

Irate that Bey doesn't appear until the 10th slot? Hey, guess what? Get your noms in!

:)
I do not want Shake It Off by Taylor Swift to be #1 either......🙅‍♂️

No freaking way! It was a massive hit, but I don’t think it was an impactful/influential song compared to other pop hits!

What are the 3 songs that you think best represent pop in the 2010s? Let us know. I'll collect these nominations until next Monday. You must nominate 3 songs (please include the artist name). I've also included space for you to give your reasoning. Please try to keep this part to only a few sentences. I'll then seed the nominations - I'm not sure how many we'll go with - depends on how many noms we get. I'll send out a bracket next week and will include the reasoning for each song. We'll then vote on the bracket until we come up with our top pop song that best represents the 2010s. More on all of that later. For now - get your noms in!!!!

I am very excited to discuss the nominees and for all of us to debate on why we believe __________ deserves to be awarded the top pop song of the decade! 🏆🌈🎯🥇💎🥳🍿

Back