Political Discussion

The majority of Generation Z do not feel financially stable and still rely on parents to help pay bills.

This all stems from the debt of student loans and high cost of living. Inflation hasn't made anything better.

This can't be sustainable.

And what really grinds me gears is you hear about all these financial advisors giving opinion pieces that pretty much say that Generation Z is living above their means and needs to scale back their lifestyles. That they make good money, and the issue is they are scaling up the amount of money they spend too much compared to their salaries. That they are not financially responsible because they had helicopter parents and don't know how to balance a budget.

Okay, but balancing a budget is much harder today than it was for you when you were the same age. Your same salary got you much further. Today, it's extremely tight on just the basics.

The majority of Generation Z do not feel financially stable and still rely on parents to help pay bills.

This all stems from the debt of student loans and high cost of living. Inflation hasn't made anything better.

This can't be sustainable.

And what really grinds me gears is you hear about all these financial advisors giving opinion pieces that pretty much say that Generation Z is living above their means and needs to scale back their lifestyles. That they make good money, and the issue is they are scaling up the amount of money they spend too much compared to their salaries. That they are not financially responsible because they had helicopter parents and don't know how to balance a budget.

Okay, but balancing a budget is much harder today than it was for you when you were the same age. Your same salary got you much further. Today, it's extremely tight on just the basics.
same as it ever was.

And here is why it's not on YouTube right now. I guess it was accidentally released to early around 9:30 pm last night when they uploaded and swiftly taken down.

I think the video you uploaded last night was an illegal rip. I tried to watch and the quality was terrible.

Very excited for Alex Garland's new film and find the visceral reaction people are having hilarious. The guy writes some of the smartest sci-fi of the 21st century and people are worried it's going to be a pro-war movie? The test screenings have been very positive, trailers are always misleading.

It's also an A24 produced film, with their largest budget to date (by a wide margin) at 50 million. Considering the have the most consistently great output of anybody in the movie industry, I'm really hoping this thing doesn't bomb.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very excited for Alex Garland's new film and find the visceral reaction people are having hilarious. The guy writes some of the smartest sci-fi of the 21st century and people are worried it's going to be a pro-war movie? The test screenings have been very positive, trailers are always misleading.

It's also an A24 produced film, with their largest budget to date (by a wide margin) at 50 million. Considering the have the most consistently great output of anybody in the movie industry, I'm really hoping this thing doesn't bomb.

Thoughts?

Seems a little on-the-nose (especially when you factor in Men, which I think is one of the bigger missteps of his career), but I will still be paying attention to the reception. I'm more curious than excited at this point.

It's also an A24 produced film, with their largest budget to date (by a wide margin) at 80 million. Considering the have the most consistently great output of anybody in the movie industry, I'm really hoping this thing doesn't bomb.

Thoughts?

Obviously no one can say until they've seen the movie. However, this is a pretty weird "what if?" to be cogitating on, considering how much closer we are to an actual civil war than ever. I've gotten the impression the movie's going to avoid any real-world parallels, which seems especially baffling. I'll be the stick in the mud and say I'm not as enamored with Garland's work as others; he's collaborated on some great stuff, but most of his movies make overtures towards thematic depth which is eventually dashed on the rocks of third-act action climax. I'm downright baffled by Ex Machina's sterling reputation; it's a fine movie. Similarly, the trailers and images (such as this poster) lead me to believe we're getting more "it really makes ya think huh, man?" from Mr. Garland; all provocation, not much introspection.

Obviously no one can say until they've seen the movie. However, this is a pretty weird "what if?" to be cogitating on, considering how much closer we are to an actual civil war than ever. I've gotten the impression the movie's going to avoid any real-world parallels, which seems especially baffling. I'll be the stick in the mud and say I'm not as enamored with Garland's work as others; he's collaborated on some great stuff, but most of his movies make overtures towards thematic depth which is eventually dashed on the rocks of third-act action climax. I'm downright baffled by Ex Machina's sterling reputation; it's a fine movie. Similarly, the trailers and images (such as this poster) lead me to believe we're getting more "it really makes ya think huh, man?" from Mr. Garland; all provocation, not much introspection.
I think Devs might have been one of the more successful efforts on that front, despite getting a pretty lukewarm audience reception. It's the one I think about the most.

Also can't tell if you meant this for this thread or the movie thread

Def meant for this thread. Movie nerds gonna movie nerd. More curious if it's on the radar people outside of our film obssessed bubble.

Obviously no one can say until they've seen the movie. However, this is a pretty weird "what if?" to be cogitating on, considering how much closer we are to an actual civil war than ever. I've gotten the impression the movie's going to avoid any real-world parallels, which seems especially baffling. I'll be the stick in the mud and say I'm not as enamored with Garland's work as others; he's collaborated on some great stuff, but most of his movies make overtures towards thematic depth which is eventually dashed on the rocks of third-act action climax. I'm downright baffled by Ex Machina's sterling reputation; it's a fine movie. Similarly, the trailers and images
(such as this poster) lead me to believe we're getting more "it really makes ya think huh, man?" from Mr. Garland; all provocation, not much introspection.

I mean, like most, I found Men to be a complete mess. Abiet and quite memorable one. So I don't think Alex is beyond misses. But Ex Machina is one of my 10 or so favorite films from last decade so, clearly, we deeply disagree there. And every time I watch Annihilation, I walk away liking it even more-- though I also know people who have read the book and hate it.

Meanwhile, while Boyle is one of the most talented directors of his era, he is similar to Ridley Scott in that he is only as good as the script he has in hand... as evidenced by films like Yesterday, Trance and the Beach. So does Garland not deserve credit for 28 Days Later?

As to the "what if"... the fact that we are closer than ever is exactly why it's a topic worth meditating on. The people I know who have seen the film (pre-screenings) say that A) the trailers are misleading in that it's actually a quiet and meditative film for large portions of its runtime, B) that it's a deeply anti-war film that clearly set out to show how horrific a civil war would be and C) that the film largely focuses on journalists attempting to cover the war.

I'm far less concerned with the CA + Texas alliance and find the fixation of it within internet spaces funny. I'll have to see how things play out, but this is a 50m dollar film and, depending on the themes being explored, completely irrelevant to whether the film works. Both because CA and TX have a lot more in common than people think and because the film doesn't need to be completely grounded in our geo-political landscape in order to touch upon greater societal truths.

Meanwhile, while Boyle is one of the most talented directors of his era, he is similar to Ridley Scott in that he is only as good as the script he has in hand... as evidenced by films like Yesterday, Trance and the Beach. So does Garland not deserve credit for 28 Days Later?
Funny you should mention because Garland also wrote The Beach lol

Back