Political Discussion

On the other hand, if we’re not going to provide universal healthcare, then the poorest among us being one of the likeliest groups to do something that will also make them the sickest among us, creates a drag on all of us. These are after all also the groups who are the least likely to be insured, or are underinsured. That puts strain on medical services, increases costs, and so on.

Not coming down either way here, just pointing out that the impact of a person’s decision to smoke is not *solely* limited to their own body.
Yep, yep, yep.
But let me reframe this. Say there is a company with a highly addictive product and that company hooks people on their product. They make a ton of money selling a highly addictive product. This product, as it turns out, has a huge societal cost and it causes disease in enough people that use the product that it is obvious the product is causing the disease. What is that company's responsibility to their consumers? If they make a ton of money off of tobacco and shield their profits so they don't have to pay as many taxes--which then leads to lower tax revenue for which to fun Medicaid/Medicare.

We've already decided that Opioids are highly addictive and we are suing companies in order to fund relief efforts in places that were worst hit by the opioid epidemic. We have already determined in court that tobacco is also a highly addictive substance that causes disease. They've already paid out millions over it, and are now doing the same crap they did here, but in places with lower regulations.

While I think it is a personal choice to smoke, I also think that much of what we think of as personal choice is us being highly manipulated by our advertising environment. I think that these companies use behavioral science to trick us into buying more, reap the benefits of the profits and then tax shelter their way out of paying much of anything for taxes. In fact, I think these guys are more of a drag on society than any sick, poor smoker because at least the sick, poor smoker pays taxes. And the reason these folks aren't insured....well, that also has a lot to do with these same people because they don't want to have to offer health insurance to "low skilled" workers.
For the record having grown up in the U.K. I’m enormously in favour of universal healthcare free at the point of access. But smokers and drinkers pay huge amounts in alcohol and cigarette tax and duties to help fund it.
See the same thing happens here.
Here in LA, a pack of cigarettes is about $8, and about $4 of that is taxes. These taxes go mainly to fund schools, but public municipalities use tobacco tax revenue for a lot of things. Smokers actually pay a lot more taxes. It makes sense to put it into a fund to help pay for their healthcare later, that wouldn't be bad. But instead, they fund a lot of other social services. Why is it that these people are seen as awful drags on society when our school system relies on their revenue? Wait, are these people really dregs on society at all given that they fund local systems?

When we talk about tobacco, it's easy to start labeling users as one thing or another, but we never label the companies they work for that don't give them health care, we don't label the extra tax dollars they pay above and beyond non-smokers, and we don't label the manipulative advertising of companies designed to get people addicted. I hate when the war on smoking becomes the war on smokers, but that's exactly what happens.

See the same thing happens here.
Here in LA, a pack of cigarettes is about $8, and about $4 of that is taxes. These taxes go mainly to fund schools, but public municipalities use tobacco tax revenue for a lot of things. Smokers actually pay a lot more taxes. It makes sense to put it into a fund to help pay for their healthcare later, that wouldn't be bad. But instead, they fund a lot of other social services. Why is it that these people are seen as awful drags on society when our school system relies on their revenue? Wait, are these people really dregs on society at all given that they fund local systems?

I mean it’s general taxation so if essentially is going to the exchequer to distribute among its spending priorities. I don’t think there is really a way to actually ring fence specific tax for specific purpose. Suffice to say that the NHS takes an enormous chunk of the U.K. National spend. On top of the fact that healthcare is an expensive business it’s also the worlds third largest employer, only the Chinese Red Army and the Indian Railways employ more people.

Edit: it’s 6th and the Indian railways people are down to 8th. My information must have been oooooold. Also let’s forget the armies, Walmart and McDonald’s employ a lot of criminally underpaid staff! 1.9 million people employed in a country of 80ish million is a lot all the same!

Last edited:

Facebook is combatting Apple's new privacy features which allow people to be opt out of being tracked in every way possible. Scare tactics including saying you will may need to pay for Facebook/Instagram and filing antitrust lawsuits in various countries.

ATT adds a new permission layer to iOS. Like location data, camera and mic access, tracking is now included in the permission layers. iPhone owners must grant an app permission to track you.

This means apps can no longer track you and sell your data without your consent. Great for privacy. But really hurts social media platforms where you are the product they sell.

70% of registered republican voters believe that biden didn't have enough votes to win the election.

50% say there is solid evidence that biden didn't win the election.

This means 30% of everyone in America still believe that biden isn't a legitimate president.

Wow, this is absolutely mind boggling.

My faith in humanity is ever declining.

Social media has just amped up the ability to spread bullshit at the drop of a hat. Take the Kamala Harris book story. 70% of registered republicans believe it because YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Fox News and others will feed them the nonsense and outrage they so desperately seek.

Social media has just amped up the ability to spread bullshit at the drop of a hat. Take the Kamala Harris book story. 70% of registered republicans believe it because YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Fox News and others will feed them the nonsense and outrage they so desperately seek.
Very true. I mean look at how many people still believe the “Russian collusion” conspiracy theory.

More and more states continue to pass new voter ID bills, restrictions on mail in and absentee ballots and changes to voter registration deadlines.

This is all being driven by the "Big Lie". And Republicans are making changes they say are needed to keep the elections safe and secure into the future so that voters can continue to have confidence in the system.

This comes despite the fact that elections agencies say 2020 was the most secure election ever and there were no cases of voter fraud.

Nothing like hearing Noam Chomsky quoted on Hill.TV. Also, the story about the story is ridiculous. It takes the opportunity to critique the media and polarizes the matter further as opposed to reporting the issue straight (the very thing it’s accusing the MSM of). I don’t think the Jeopardy! Dude deserves to get shat on like this but that has more to do with the hyperbolic nature of social media than anything the MSM did. However we got here regarding the “Okay” hand gesture it is a bummer but we are where we are. I don’t believe this guy was doing it purposely to make a statement but the symbol does now unfortunately have underlying connotations. Just like certain words used to be fine to say but have been removed from our cultural lexicon due to the fact they are now perceived a hurtful, so will that hand gesture. As time passes, it will become more and more obvious that people making the gesture are doing it purposely as the plausible deniability of ignorance becomes less and less possible. All that to say, this guy apologized which I feel is a completely reasonable response. Unfortunately, social media needs to be outraged about something and this was the thing over the weekend, thankfully it is fickle and will move on to its next victim soon enough. I doubt most reasonable people will think this dude is a Three Percenter, unfortunately I don’t know how many reasonable people are left.

Last edited:
Nothing like hearing Noam Chomsky quoted on Hill.TV. Also, the story about the story is ridiculous. It takes the opportunity to critique the media and polarizes the matter further as opposed to reporting the issue straight (the very thing it’s accusing the MSM of). I don’t think the Jeopardy! Dude deserves to get shat on like this but that has more to do with the hyperbolic nature of social media than anything the MSM did. However we got here regarding the “Okay” hand gesture it is a bummer but we are where we are. I don’t believe this guy was doing it purposely to make a statement but the symbol does now unfortunately have underlying connotations. Just like certain words used to be fine to say but have been removed from our cultural lexicon due to the fact they are now perceived a hurtful, so will that hand gesture. As time passes, it will become more and more obvious that people making the gesture are doing it purposely as the plausible deniability of ignorance becomes less and less possible. All that to say, this guy apologized which I feel is a completely reasonable response. Unfortunately, social media needs to be outraged about something and this was the thing over the weekend, thankfully it is fickle and will move on to its next victim soon enough. I doubt most reasonable people will think this dude is a Three Percenter, unfortunately I don’t know how many reasonable people are left.
“Reasonable” isn’t a thing on the internet anymore. Of course most reasonable people don’t concern themselves with the Outrage of the Day™️ and have zero clue about the OK sign or whatever other terrible crime everyone is unknowingly committing. Other people no longer seem to have the ability to look at context and make rational deductions of intent with regards to what others say or do. Or maybe they don’t care because it isn’t about being reasonable, it’s about the dopamine hit from “doing something.”

Bending the knee and apologizing to the mob only emboldens them. The only way to make them stop is to dismiss them with nothing more than a “that’s stupid. Shut up” then go about your business refusing to be cancelled.

It’s all just so fucking stupid.

I’d suggest taking up a far healthier pastime. Like heroin or meth.
I enjoy smuggly sitting back with a cup of coffee realizing it's nice not to be outraged all the time. Cancel culture and the anti-woke set are two sides of the same annoying coin. I'm tired of the middle ground or having nuance be treated as an awful thing. You can acknowledge something or someone is wrong while simultaneously not trying to destroy that someone or something. Conversely, you can acknowledge and appreciate that inclusion (being woke) isn't entirely a bad thing without feeling personally attacked because you are, for once, on the outside looking in.

“Reasonable” isn’t a thing on the internet anymore. Of course most reasonable people don’t concern themselves with the Outrage of the Day™️ and have zero clue about the OK sign or whatever other terrible crime everyone is unknowingly committing. Other people no longer seem to have the ability to look at context and make rational deductions of intent with regards to what others say or do. Or maybe they don’t care because it isn’t about being reasonable, it’s about the dopamine hit from “doing something.”

Bending the knee and apologizing to the mob only emboldens them. The only way to make them stop is to dismiss them with nothing more than a “that’s stupid. Shut up” then go about your business refusing to be cancelled.

It’s all just so fucking stupid.
I am an imperfect vessel, if I were to unintentionally offend people I don’t think I would have any issues apologizing and that is what he has done. The bigger issue is when people do apologize, especially for something like this, most are unwilling to show grace and forgiveness that they would expect if the shoe was on the other foot.

Facebook is combatting Apple's new privacy features which allow people to be opt out of being tracked in every way possible. Scare tactics including saying you will may need to pay for Facebook/Instagram and filing antitrust lawsuits in various countries.

ATT adds a new permission layer to iOS. Like location data, camera and mic access, tracking is now included in the permission layers. iPhone owners must grant an app permission to track you.

This means apps can no longer track you and sell your data without your consent. Great for privacy. But really hurts social media platforms where you are the product they sell.

Its funny because this weekend after getting out on one grocery store it tile me i need to got to the next one, which is my normal Sunday habit.

Back