Political Discussion

Is there an institution (or group of people, or whatever) that in your estimation is possessed of the “nature and abilities” required to deliver healthcare to people in an efficient and humane manner?
For the population as a whole, not any single group. There are too many folks with differing needs and wants. I believe that a mix of commercial and charitable entities is the best way to go.

One of the biggest net losses to the population as a whole in the US was the morphing of religiously affiliated hospitals from charitable organizations to commercial entities. It is a great failure of the Church to allow that to have happened.

For the population as a whole, not any single group. There are too many folks with differing needs and wants. I believe that a mix of commercial and charitable entities is the best way to go.

One of the biggest net losses to the population as a whole in the US was the morphing of religiously affiliated hospitals from charitable organizations to commercial entities. It is a great failure of the Church to allow that to have happened.
How do you account for the fact that there are other countries that do seem to be able to accomplish the goal of delivering healthcare (relatively) efficiently and humanely?

I find it difficult to stomach the idea of any tolerance of any church being allowed to have any involvement in any form of healthcare. You’re putting vulnerable women from lower socio economic positions in a very difficult situation and religious organisations have an appalling record in looking after people placed in their care.

It also opens the door for the healthcare system to refuse to care for certain people because it goes against their religion. This type of healthcare system would not be very friendly for the LGBTQ community, nor would they provide abortions.

How do you account for the fact that there are other countries that do seem to be able to accomplish the goal of delivering healthcare (relatively) efficiently and humanely?
I would say that things are rarely what they seem and that government run healthcare systems will universally show themselves to be neither efficient nor humane upon closer examination.

I find it difficult to stomach the idea of any tolerance of any church being allowed to have any involvement in any form of healthcare. You’re putting vulnerable women from lower socio economic positions in a very difficult situation and religious organisations have an appalling record in looking after people placed in their care.
I recognize that you have longstanding beef with the Church.

It also opens the door for the healthcare system to refuse to care for certain people because it goes against their religion. This type of healthcare system would not be very friendly for the LGBTQ community, nor would they provide abortions.
Nobody should be forced to provide anything to anyone they don’t wish to, that said, I think you’d find less discrimination on that front that you realize. That said, I’m not advocating healthcare being fully under the purview of the Church. I’m simply saying that the Church has abdicated responsibility for a role that it is commanded to perform.

As far as abortion, I’m not going to deal with that subject here. My views on it are 100% not welcome here and that debate would overshadow anything else. So this’ll be the last I mention it.

I would say that things are rarely what they seem and that government run healthcare systems will universally show themselves to be neither efficient nor humane upon closer examination.

I think it’s beyond beef. The potential to deny women healthcare options because of ethos is not one that should be allowed. I think the churches historic failure of such women and their offspring and other children in general is pretty well documented.

Faith is a personal thing that I won’t ever question someone holding or practicing. I’ll never be a member of a church again but I’d consider myself somewhere between and deist and an agnostic, I am certainly no atheist. Organised religions being allowed a role in healthcare is a red line though and it’s intolerable in a modern society.

I think it’s beyond beef. The potential to deny women healthcare options because of ethos is not one that should be allowed. I think the churches historic failure of such women and their offspring and other children in general is pretty well documented.

Faith is a personal thing that I won’t ever question someone holding or practicing. I’ll never be a member of a church again but I’d consider myself somewhere between and deist and an agnostic, I am certainly no atheist. Organised religions being allowed a role in healthcare is a red line though and it’s intolerable in a modern society.
I find most of modern society is the bit that is intolerable. So I don’t think we’re going to find much common ground here.

Do you have any particular systems in mind, that have been shown to be less efficient and humane than they are perceived to be? I‘m not accepting “the UK” as an answer since that system was not so much revealed as (deliberately) destroyed over time.

The Stimulus bill is in Jeopardy once again in the senate.

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin, is planning a days long stunt to try to delay if not block it's passage.

First up, he pans on having the entire bill read on the senate floor, which would take a minimum of 10 hours. He also has not ruled out the filibuster.

The GOP has a problem, and that is that the stimulus bill is hugely popular even among their voters. So they can't oppose the checks to American directly. So Sen. Ron Johnsons game is to call out and protest everything bundle with the bill. Delaying its passage and perhaps preventing the bill in its entirety form being passed. This will delay it's passage until after expanded unemployment benefits expire which will hurt millions of Americans. Then, they plan to point the finger at Democrats for the failure to get this bill passed because of all the political games they played trying to bundle their agenda with it.

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wisconsin, is planning a days long stunt to try to delay if not block it's passage.

First up, he pans on having the entire bill read on the senate floor, which would take a minimum of 10 hours. He also has not ruled out the filibuster.

The GOP has a problem, and that is that the stimulus bill is hugely popular even among their voters. So they can't oppose the checks to American directly. So Sen. Ron Johnsons game is to call out and protest everything bundle with the bill. Delaying its passage and perhaps preventing the bill in its entirety form being passed. This will delay it's passage until after expanded unemployment benefits expire which will hurt millions of Americans. Then, they plan to point the finger at Democrats for the failure to get this bill passed because of all the political games they played trying to bundle their agenda with it.
Perhaps we should try electing people who aren't sociopaths at some point, jesus christ.

Going to unwatch this thread and take another break. Can't handle the constant misery deluge.

It’s always good when you have someone whom you like, or even at the very least respect, that holds such differing views to debate with. That’s something that is becoming clearer to me. If you can’t engage with the other human being, as a human being, there’s no point in even bothering. In addition, if you don’t already hold that standing in someone’s life, your opinions are worthless to that person. Save the energy for places it will be of value.

That was part of the issue with my prior engagements with folks here before and will inform my ongoing discussions in this thread. I need to recognize when the friction is about ideas, or people. There are some folks on here I just don’t like. I guarantee that some folks here just don’t like me. That’s ok. It’s on me to resist the urge to tie into it with someone whom I simply don’t like. As far as what others do, that’s not on me.
I think this is ultimately why I deactivated FB. I would post something and my friends (who didn't know each other) would fight on my feed, or I would get so many horrible things about people hurting others who aren't in the same political party. It's this idea of people "coming for" other people just because they are democrat or republican. That hurt my heart that people could be so cruel and awful as to wish death on others. The reason I engage in politics is to hopefully help people, not harm them. It's sad to me when we can't even talk about the real problems because of bi-partisanship.

Have you looked into the German model of healthcare? It's something that I think could work here. There's a mix of public and private option. The biggest push back I am seeing in this arena is from private health care. There have been grumblings among progressives that an actual public option should be made available, and that option would be priced much less than the commercial plans currently available in private insurance because there wouldn't be any shareholders. It's a neat idea that could work, but this would put tremendous pressure on the big insurers to either lower prices or actually provide a service that people are willing to pay a little more for. The biggest problem in healthcare today is cost containment. This could be alleviated by more competition, but given the amount of clinics and doctors large hospital systems have and the stranglehold large private insurers have on the market, the barrier to entry is immense. We need to break apart a lot of these big institutions based on the criteria in the Sherman Act (anti-trust laws that have been on the books for quite a while) and create a better environment for competition. But we should not sacrifice people's health needs for competition's sake.
There are a few organizations that focus on the LGBTQ community, but there are things like the Ryan White program that support people living with HIV/AIDS that I'm not sure who would step up and take this over if there was no federal support.

Actually, I'm sort of in favor of them reading the bill. If you are going to pass a bill that's this big, you should have to read it and you should have to attend the reading prior to it being passed. I think they should do this for every bill. I get that this delays checks, but this foot dragging is the same tactic the democrats used in November/December to delay those checks. The checks are not popular with the ruling class. Neither side wants us to have them.

Do you have any particular systems in mind, that have been shown to be less efficient and humane than they are perceived to be? I‘m not accepting “the UK” as an answer since that system was not so much revealed as (deliberately) destroyed over time.

I actually think @Chucktshoes politics would be against an NHS style system given that its big government intervention and paid for through taxation and he’s very much a pared back to the bare minimum small state kinda guy.

And yes the NHS has been vandalised by successive conservative governments but the principle of universal healthcare free at the point of access absolutely still exists in the U.K.

Actually, I'm sort of in favor of them reading the bill. If you are going to pass a bill that's this big, you should have to read it and you should have to attend the reading prior to it being passed. I think they should do this for every bill. I get that this delays checks, but this foot dragging is the same tactic the democrats used in November/December to delay those checks. The checks are not popular with the ruling class. Neither side wants us to have them.
I'm find with reading the whole bill. That does not bother me. What bother's me is the days long game of delays he has planned after reading the bill.

In the article I read reading of the bill was only the first tactic of many to come from Ron Jonson.

I'm also more worried about people not getting their unemployment checks than a delayed stimulus.

re: Church-run hospitals

My wife still has nightmares about the hoops she had to jump through to get access to basic birth control (for cycle control, not even contraception) that was covered by her hospital's insurance. That really soured the both of us to Church-run hospitals.

I recognize that government intervention caused this issue so reject the idea that government intervention can fix it. It’s simply not in their interests to do so.

I disagree that government intervention caused it; I would argue that it's private corporate interests that have caused it by interfering with government. The federal US gov didn't say "let there be a private business for us to funnel money to by acquiescing to their desires" -- the business was made without the help of the government and then it injected itself into the process, perverting it's function from a strictly medical one into a fiscal one.

Each would be varying degrees of awful.

Please don’t take this as a personal attack or insult. That idea is based upon as rose colored fantastical view of the nature and abilities of government and the people involved in it as Margret Mead’s view of the antebellum South.
No offense taken!

I don't deny my views are often on the optimistic, best case scenario, side of things. However, I think that if we're not trying to attain these things, if we just give up on the concept that we can have an non-corrupt government who actually makes an effort to represent the people, then we're never going to make anything better. Just accepting that everything will always be bad stunts progress.

I don't have the sort of faith in humanity you do that people would just do what's right or even necessary without encouragement. Whether that encouragement takes the form of regulations and standards of practice, or tangible consequences for your actions.

And you're right, we all have very different opinions on how things should be done, so it's nigh impossible to have everyone represented. But we can work in majorities based on majority needs.

Joe is correct in his assessment of my views. I am opposed to government control of most everything based on principle. Also, government attracts the worst of the worst people along with the well meaning. The terrible people are just way more competent and accumulating power and influence.

I actually think @Chucktshoes politics would be against an NHS style system given that its big government intervention and paid for through taxation and he’s very much a pared back to the bare minimum small state kinda guy.
And yes the NHS has been vandalised by successive conservative governments but the principle of universal healthcare free at the point of access absolutely still exists in the U.K.

counterpoint:

View attachment 90443

And on the "less discrimination [...] than you realize" front, let's go all the way back to the old timey days of 2012.

Or this last year's unending Karen complaints about being discriminated against for not wearing masks. etc.

Time to get spicy. I have no issue with folks denying service to anyone for any reason. Plus, I’d rather know who the raging bigots are so I can choose not to provide them with my business.

I disagree that government intervention caused it; I would argue that it's private corporate interests that have caused it by interfering with government. The federal US gov didn't say "let there be a private business for us to funnel money to by acquiescing to their desires" -- the business was made without the help of the government and then it injected itself into the process, perverting it's function from a strictly medical one into a fiscal one.
As long as government is in the business of regulating the buying and selling of things, the first things to be bought and sold will be the politicians. The only way to get rid of the corrupting influence of big money in government is to make it so government can’t hand out favors to pick winners and losers.

Back