Political Discussion

Got laid off on Tuesday. Good news is with a decent severance package that should give me about 3.5 months to job hunt before I start eating into savings.

On the other hand, the job market in my industry is barren because high interest rates have scared off all the investment capital. Meanwhile, my landlord still wants to raise my rent 125$ a month (off $1350 which was $1300 two years ago) because high interest rates have made the housing crises even worse.

All while Biden and the mainstream media try and tell me the economy is in a good place because shareholders are doing well.

I've never voted for a Republican in my life but consider voting for George Bush Jr. over Biden at this point-- if we were living in a fantasy world where the GOP wasn't run by facists.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you’re able to find a good job soon.

I’m glad you haven’t decided to only blame Biden for your situation and are able to keep some perspective. Any normal working person thinking a 2nd Trump administration will improve their financial situation has been duped.

The current Republican Party offer no solutions. They are against everything and for nothing but power. They traffic in fear, uncertainty, and doubt to manipulate and scare people to do their bidding.

I could rant on this type of stuff for a while, but IMO we need another 4 years of a stable leader able to navigate the challenges at home and abroad. Biden is not the only Democratic leader that can do this, but I’m confident that person doesn’t exist on the Republican side.

ENDORSES TRUMP?!?!

Fucking coward.

Did you ever doubt it would be otherwise?

He had promise initially when he took office. Covid changed him for the worse, dramatically. When he first took office, he started to make good on his promises to legalize marijuana -- there have been several state-wide votes and referendums that all spell out pretty clearly and unequivocally that Florida voters want legal marijuana -- but it always gets hung up when it comes time to pass laws, because the lawmakers themselves are compromised. De Santis came in with a very public "stop fucking around, that's what the people want, pass the fucking laws already", during his first month. Lots of folks on the left were very surprised and vaguely hopeful he wouldn't be a shitshow like Governor Voldemort before him.

My theory is that when covid hit and he saw the giant fuckups across the board, he took it as an opportunity to -- and i'm using the term very loosely here -- "distinguish" himself from the wishy-washy inept republican governors of other states that did not act in big public splashy ways. Not that he would enact shit to make things better in FL, because if there's one thing a modern Republican loves it's some fucking Vice Signaling to show their disdain for the poor, marginalized or weak. But covid is when he started doing all the splashy public shit-show health policy things to get headlines. After he saw that this got him a bit of national traction, he started really leaning into things like the transporting of immigrants to martha's vineyard, and that anti-immigrant/anti-lgbt laws etc. He also did a hard about-face on the legal weed thing when he got a national eye on him and changed a lot of laws to hide his actions despite FL sunshine laws.

At this point he's spent so long vying for the favor of the MAGA cultists that he can't back out: no one on the sane side of the conservative spectrum would trust or buy it, and no one on the MAGA side understands right from wrong, much less logic, loyalty or sanity. It's all petty vindictive vice-signalling all the way down with those fucks. So any serious deviation from the cult of personality that surrounds MAGA would be suicide. De Santis is stuck with them. He's young so I suspect he's going to stick with it with the hopes that he can make it through another 4 years and reinvent himself. At that point Trump himself will be unable to run either by reason of jail or visible cognitive decline and there will be a real pissing match for who can be as shamelessly cruel and petty in order to take his place. 100% De Santis has done this calculus and is rolling the dice on being able to get back on that saddle.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you’re able to find a good job soon.

I’m glad you haven’t decided to only blame Biden for your situation and are able to keep some perspective. Any normal working person thinking a 2nd Trump administration will improve their financial situation has been duped.

The current Republican Party offer no solutions. They are against everything and for nothing but power. They traffic in fear, uncertainty, and doubt to manipulate and scare people to do their bidding.

I could rant on this type of stuff for a while, but IMO we need another 4 years of a stable leader able to navigate the challenges at home and abroad. Biden is not the only Democratic leader that can do this, but I’m confident that person doesn’t exist on the Republican side.

I'm a former Democrat who left the party when Obama bailed out the banks and then the party decided to put their foot on the scale in the 2016 primary.

There is no denying that the economy was better under Trump-- but that was also a product of levers he was pulling (keeping interest rates low for example) that directly led to this situation AND was carried on the back of the economy Obama left him. And because he got booted before the economic ripple of the pandemic were truly felt. Also, his handling of Ukraine led to the Russian invasion.

Biden has done some very good things that don't get credit because the media doesn't cover them and because there is a slow path to be forged even after legislation has been passed. And he actually believes in Democracy AND has created a big tent that includes progressives.

That said, both in his handling of inflation and Isreal, his apporach has been antiquitied at best and devastatingly stupid at worst.

We lived in a global economy and in a country wrecked by debt, economic inequality and monopolization. Taking a 1970's approach to fixing inflation has amplified many of those things. And while it has successfully tamed some of inflation, there has been 0 effort to tackle the corporate greed side now that supply chains and the such have normalized. And if he fails at towing the line and causes a full fledged recession it is going to be way, way worse than in 08/09 (which was right as I was graduating college) because the cost of housing and food has more than doubled since then.

And in regards to Isreal, its government is not the sane, rational one of the 1990s. Bibi is an extremist. And on top of that, most people under 45 already viewed Palistine as persecuted against. So by handing blank checks to Isreal so that they can commit genocide, Biden has managed to alienate the base that got him elected.

Bonus points for not reversing the sanctions on Venezuela that Trump put in place-- which is the main reason we have a migrant crises that Boomers are so upset over.

Last edited:
I'm a former Democrat who left the party when Obama bailed out the banks and then the party decided to put their foot on the scale in the 2016 primary.

There is no denying that the economy was better under Trump-- but that was also a product of levers he was pulling (keeping interest rates low for example) that directly led to this situation AND was carried on the back of the economy Obama left him.

Biden has done some very good things that don't get credit because the media doesn't cover them and because there is a slow path to be forged even after legislation has been passed. And he actually believes in Democracy AND has created a big tent that includes progressives.

That said, both in his handling of inflation and Isreal, his apporach has been antiquitied at best and devastatingly stupid at worst.

We lived in a global economy and in a country wrecked by debt, economic inequality and monopolization. Taking a 1970's approach to fixing inflation has amplified many of those things. And while it has successfully tamed some of inflation, there has been 0 effort to tackle the corporate greed side now that supply chains and the such have normalized. And if he fails at towing the line and causes a full fledged recession it is going to be way, way worse than in 08/09 (which was right as I was graduating college) because the cost of housing and food has more than doubled since then.

And in regards to Isreal, its government is not the sane, rational one of the 1990s. Bibi is an extremist. And on top of that, most people under 45 already viewed Palistine as persecuted against. So by handing blank checks to Isreal so that they can commit genocide, Biden has managed to alienate the base that got him elected.

Bonus points for not reversing the sanctions on Venezuela that Trump put in place-- which is the main reason we have a migrant crises that Boomers are so upset over.
I realized in my previous post that I may have come across as a strong Democrat. That’s not the case. I agree with much of what you said, but I don’t agree that Presidents should get as much credit/blame as they do for the economy when they are in office. Especially in their first term. Much of what they are dealing with is the legacy of who was in office before. Definitely, agree the banks shouldn’t have been bailed out. That lesson was learned and the policy was different during Covid. Give money to people to keep things moving.

For about the last 40 years Democrat Presidents have been cleaning up the messes left by Republican administrations. I give propers to Biden for doing what Obama didn’t and getting out of Afghanistan. It was ugly, but it needed to be done. Losing is not pretty.

On Israel. It’s a mess, but i think Biden is handling as best he can. It was important to send the message that the US supports Israel. It is equally important to be working in the background to moderate the Israeli response. I’m at a loss to know what the Biden administration could do differently and think it’s crazy to consider not voting for him on this issue as if the alternative candidate would do better.

Biden is not my ideal choice and I wish he had decided to step down. That said, the bottom line for me is supporting the side that is committed to preserving our imperfect democracy and while flawed at least makes attempts to help regular people.

Last thing loving this site even more. I can talk about music, audio gear and politics. I have found my people. Where do we discuss beer and bourbon?

Last edited:
Where do we discuss beer and bourbon?

And for good measure, if ever needed...

Interesting

Joe Biden isn't even on the primary ballot in New Hampshire. People are trying to write him in. It will be interesting to see if he wins or gets primaried in New Hampshire.

I doubt that it really matters, the democratic party will surely put the sitting president forward for the general election regardless if he participated in primaries.

But it does leave me with a question. If this happened in enough states, could another nominee be put forward for the general election?

Interesting

Joe Biden isn't even on the primary ballot in New Hampshire. People are trying to write him in. It will be interesting to see if he wins or gets primaried in New Hampshire.

I doubt that it really matters, the democratic party will surely put the sitting president forward for the general election regardless if he participated in primaries.

But it does leave me with a question. If this happened in enough states, could another nominee be put forward for the general election?
Theoretically, if one person got enough votes in primaries above the incumbent, then that person should be the nominee.

Trump apparently tore into Nikki Haley for not dropping out of the race after his decisive win in New Hampshire. No surprise there.

The UAW is expected to endorse Biden for President. That one does surprise me a little bit.

Smh… the world is crumbling to pieces and the U S embassy is writing thousand word dad jokes.

It's funny and in response to a weirdo US "scientist" who published a disgusting "proper" way to make tea that led to several mock horrified articles over here. Life doesn't always need to be super serious, especially with cultural exchanges.

Back