Political Discussion

A win nonetheless, but not for reasons it should have been for. But rather, because of errors and abuse of the shadow docket by the lawyers. So tenicality, not because the conservative justices agreed with the outcome.
They're so gross. Pretending to make it about the law if only so that the next round can discriminate more.

It's probably a sign of financial hardships people are facing, but I just heard reported that the number of uninsured vehicles on the road is higher than it's been in decades. It broke 30% this year for the national average.

Obviously some places will have a higher average and other places lower. For example, in MA it's illegal to operate a vehicle without insurance. Insurance is required to get your title, and if the insurance drops you or you cancel your insurance, they notify the DMV. You need to provide proof of your new insurance to prevent them from revoking your title. If you get pulled over and are uninsured, not only do they tow/impound your car and fine you. You could be arrested as well.

How common are requirements by law to have insurance? Do most states not have that?

It's probably a sign of financial hardships people are facing, but I just heard reported that the number of uninsured vehicles on the road is higher than it's been in decades. It broke 30% this year for the national average.

Obviously some places will have a higher average and other places lower. For example, in MA it's illegal to operate a vehicle without insurance. Insurance is required to get your title, and if the insurance drops you or you cancel your insurance, they notify the DMV. You need to provide proof of your new insurance to prevent them from revoking your title. If you get pulled over and are uninsured, not only do they tow/impound your car and fine you. You could be arrested as well.

How common are requirements by law to have insurance? Do most states not have that?
In Louisiana, it's also required by law. We also have some of the highest rates in the country because we have very lax laws on who can sue for how much. We have so many injury lawyers down here.

So, DeSantos got the migrants from Texas?
doesn't look like it meets the qualification for "human trafficking" but it violates the fuck out of the mann act and immigration act

Dog Poop GIFs | Tenor

Russia is mobilizing 300K reserves, apparently.

I feel incredibly bad for the people of Russia. I both hope that this causes unrest and activism among them, but also doesn't end in too much blood shed. There is apparently protests in the works.

On the topic of protests. An Iranian woman in police custody was killed, and now the people of Iran are protesting, women removing their hijabs in defiance. Protests are getting violent.

The average mortgage rate has doubled from 1k to 2k a month since 2020. And interest rate increases have halted building of new properties.

Meanwhile, apartments in my Chicago neighborhood are going for roughly 500 more a month than when I moved here in January. In large part because people who should be able to afford to buy can't.

But Biden's interest rate hikes are totally working... because a global recession is now being forecast by the World Bank if worldwide rate hikes continue.

If you all are unfamiliar with Breaking Points, it's a refreshing format because Segar is right wing (but anti-Trump AND fairly anti-neoliberalism) and Ball is progressive. And they also cover world politics from a systemic viewpoint. Anyways, good convo today.

Again? Especially bad news considering that even they have admitted the causes of the inflation we are seeing today are not something that raising interest rates will solve. But that this is the only tool the Feds have.

It's just going to create more hurt for those already hurting.

Again? Especially bad news considering that even they have admitted the causes of the inflation we are seeing today are not something that raising interest rates will solve. But that this is the only tool the Feds have.

It's just going to create more hurt for those already hurting.
This is because most economists are terrible at mathematics and logic. Part of me thinks I should have taken my econ professor's advice and gotten my master's in econ and the other half of me is glad I didn't because I would have been bashing my head against a wall all day. He was seriously impressed by my ability to do basic algebra, because that's apparently something that most econ students struggle with.

Back