Political Discussion

This is because most economists are terrible at mathematics and logic. Part of me thinks I should have taken my econ professor's advice and gotten my master's in econ and the other half of me is glad I didn't because I would have been bashing my head against a wall all day. He was seriously impressed by my ability to do basic algebra, because that's apparently something that most econ students struggle with.
Much like many of the most influentially important jobs: Those who can do, don't want to, and those who want to, shouldn't.

I highly doubt she died of a "heart attack". And if she did it was caused by what she was put through.

It still boggles my mind that these religious nut jobs will do this to a young women, just for showing a couple locks of hair and not keeping her head covered.

So the Tories have given the rich a huge hand out and tanked sterling. It’d be quite comical if it wasn’t so predictable and wasn’t going to hurt so many people on the breadline this winter.

Hopefully this will make them too toxic to touch for a generation.

The NY Times is running a series about healthcare, and profits over patients. Two articles have been published so far.

More than half the nation’s roughly 5,000 hospitals are nonprofits like Providence. They enjoy lucrative tax exemptions; Providence avoids more than $1 billion a year in taxes. In exchange, the Internal Revenue Service requires them to provide services, such as free care for the poor, that benefit the communities in which they operate.

But in recent decades, many of the hospitals have become virtually indistinguishable from for-profit companies, adopting an unrelenting focus on the bottom line and straying from their traditional charitable missions.
And, as Providence illustrates, some hospital systems have not only reduced their emphasis on providing free care to the poor but also developed elaborate systems to convert needy patients into sources of revenue. The result, in the case of Providence, is that thousands of poor patients were saddled with debts that they never should have owed, The Times found.

This article is about how the Providence hospital utilized a consulting firm to train staff to wring money out of patients.

How a Hospital Chain Used a Poor Neighborhood to Turn Huge Profits
Bon Secours Mercy Health, a major nonprofit health system, used the poverty of Richmond Community Hospital’s patients to tap into a lucrative federal drug program.

Many analysts say that the program that offers steep discounts to hospital systems for impoverished clients is also the reason for the astronomical rise in prescription drugs as well. Manufacturers mark up the price of their drugs in order to show discounts they provide, but they need to make that money back so they raise prices to make discounts look greater. They also employed this tactic because pharmacy benefit managers insisted on higher and higher discounts--PBMs are more on the insurance side of things, so the combo of hospitals and PBMs getting discounts has caused manufacturers to raise their prices in an effort to show higher and higher discounts.

Called it. Knew this was going to happen. Same argument that was expected as well. It's not legally standing because it wasn't authorized by congress. The executive branch does not have the authority to do this like with the EPA climate goals earlier this year.

This is why Biden should have gone big or gone home. No matter what amount he went for "for moderation / compromise", conservatives would reject and have the same reaction.

Called it. Knew this was going to happen. Same argument that was expected as well. It's not legally standing because it wasn't authorized by congress. The executive branch does not have the authority to do this like with the EPA climate goals earlier this year.

This is why Biden should have gone big or gone home. No matter what amount he went for "for moderation / compromise", conservatives would reject and have the same reaction.
imo this dude does not have standing: no one is forced to take the forgiveness. you have to apply for it or you don't get it

The issue there is the IRS had access to the tax returns being filed. I’m not sure they have access to the student loans since many (most?) are technically 3rd party. Also data may not be accurate.

Well, these are Department of Education / federal loans.

As I understood, you the Department of Education needed to have you information on File, and that your information be up to date.

Yes you can provide all that information or update it. And then you should get an email about the forgiveness starting as soon as October.

Do I have that right. Or am I missing a step?

Well, these are Department of Education / federal loans.

As I understood, you the Department of Education needed to have you information on File, and that your information be up to date.

Yes you can provide all that information or update it. And then you should get an email about the forgiveness starting as soon as October.

Do I have that right. Or am I missing a step?
Looks like you might be OK as long as they have your data

What do I need to do in order to receive loan forgiveness?
  • Nearly 8 million borrowers may be eligible to receive relief automatically because relevant income data is already available to the U.S. Department of Education.
  • If the U.S. Department of Education doesn't have your income data, the Administration will launch a simple application which will be available in October.
  • If you would like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up at the Department of Education subscription page.
  • Most borrowers can expect relief within six weeks after they submit the application.
  • We encourage everyone who is eligible to file the application, but there are 8 million people for whom we have data and who will get the relief automatically.
  • Borrowers are advised to apply before November 15th in order to receive relief before the payment pause expires on December 31, 2022.
  • The Department of Education will continue to process applications as they are received, even after the pause expires on December 31, 2022.

Part of me feels this was a calculated move by Biden to wait until mid terms. Propose the forgiveness knowing republicans would oppose and sue, then use it for election purposes. He had over two years to introduce this and the time just reeks honestly.

I’m sure unSCOTUS will ultimate agree and kill the effort.

Back