Political Discussion

I’ve seen like 10 of these in the last week alone and am beginning to think they’re staged.
Real or fake, they're speaking to a lot of folks. I've gotten texts similar to this, although not that bad, and I didn't respond similarly. I imagine though, with the way jobs are nowadays and the thinning patience of the workforce that there are indeed a lot of interactions like this happening.

I'm currently involved in a training program for intergovernmental - tribal relations. A couple thoughts keep coming up in my brain.

1. Current progressive thought very much aligns with the cultural and spiritual beliefs of various sovereign tribal nations. This is of course at odds with the socio-economic motivations of the United States and western Euro-Christian systems in general. On a hopeful note this is also evidence that the cultural genocidal efforts didn't completely succeed.

2. There is a tendency of many people from various political ilks to use the ignorances of the past as evidence or justification for the rules of the present. This is of course complete idiocy. If we still believed in what was considered progressive thought of the 19th century we would believe aboriginal people were savages who needed to be civilized and made white through Christianity (of course that thought still permeates in the minds of some). What I'm getting at is when people start referring to the "founding fathers" or the "constitution" or "scripture" or "because it's just always been this way" to justify their behavior, what they are really saying is that they benefit from that ignorance and therefore see no reason to do things differently even if it's possible to do so.

3. Not acknowledging and considering our our own or others historical trauma in our decision-making most often results in more trauma.

I'm currently involved in a training program for intergovernmental - tribal relations. A couple thoughts keep coming up in my brain.

1. Current progressive thought very much aligns with the cultural and spiritual beliefs of various sovereign tribal nations. This is of course at odds with the socio-economic motivations of the United States and western Euro-Christian systems in general. On a hopeful note this is also evidence that the cultural genocidal efforts didn't completely succeed.

2. There is a tendency of many people from various political ilks to use the ignorances of the past as evidence or justification for the rules of the present. This is of course complete idiocy. If we still believed in what was considered progressive thought of the 19th century we would believe aboriginal people were savages who needed to be civilized and made white through Christianity (of course that thought still permeates in the minds of some). What I'm getting at is when people start referring to the "founding fathers" or the "constitution" or "scripture" or "because it's just always been this way" to justify their behavior, what they are really saying is that they benefit from that ignorance and therefore see no reason to do things differently even if it's possible to do so.

3. Not acknowledging and considering our our own or others historical trauma in our decision-making most often results in more trauma.
I saw an article the other day about Universities and Museums returning Native artifacts to their people. It's kind of nuts to think all this time we just accepted that we've been robbing the tombs and sites of living cultures and peoples for hundreds of years to study them without their consent or involvement.

Now if we could just work out how to return the lands to the people...

I saw an article the other day about Universities and Museums returning Native artifacts to their people. It's kind of nuts to think all this time we just accepted that we've been robbing the tombs and sites of living cultures and peoples for hundreds of years to study them without their consent or involvement.

I remember seeing a Nova about a skeleton that was one of the oldest skeletons found in North America. The boy was from a tribe that exists in Montana today. What was really interesting about it was that the researchers worked with the native people to be respectful of their culture. And after the sample was taken for DNA and the bones were all photo-ed and measured, they re-buried the remains because that is the custom of this tribe. Though the researchers said they would have liked to keep the bones, the religion of the tribe won the day, and the boy was returned to the earth.

There is a local tribe in my area that sets up cultural displays of dwellings on public land. I took my son to a volunteer day. He loved mixing the mud and clay to slap on the frame of the dwelling.

Thirteen-year-olds saw unprecedented declines in both reading and math between 2012 and 2020, according to scores released this morning from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). Consistent with several years of previous data, the results point to a clear and widening cleavage between America’s highest- and lowest-performing students and raise urgent questions about how to reverse prolonged academic stagnation.

The scores offer more discouraging evidence from NAEP, often referred to as “the Nation’s Report Card.” Various iterations of the exam, each tracking different subjects and age groups over several years, have now shown flat or falling numbers.

This is what happens when you tie school funding to property taxes. The richest districts get funded and the poorest don't. This inequality will lead us to some sort of neo-feudalism.

Also, Common core is another differentiator. Evidence out of California showed that this curriculum was leaving special needs students far behind despite the "modifications" for these students.

Thirteen-year-olds saw unprecedented declines in both reading and math between 2012 and 2020, according to scores released this morning from the National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP). Consistent with several years of previous data, the results point to a clear and widening cleavage between America’s highest- and lowest-performing students and raise urgent questions about how to reverse prolonged academic stagnation.

The scores offer more discouraging evidence from NAEP, often referred to as “the Nation’s Report Card.” Various iterations of the exam, each tracking different subjects and age groups over several years, have now shown flat or falling numbers.

This is what happens when you tie school funding to property taxes. The richest districts get funded and the poorest don't. This inequality will lead us to some sort of neo-feudalism.

Also, Common core is another differentiator. Evidence out of California showed that this curriculum was leaving special needs students far behind despite the "modifications" for these students.

Sigh…I should just quit.

I saw on the Today Show this morning that the first black principal of a predominantly white school district in Texas has been suspended without pay since late summer.

He is accused of violating Texas state law over teaching Critical Race Theory. Texas has passed two laws banning CRT over the past year.

The principal says the school does not teach CRT and never has, never will. His lawyers say his suspension violated his contract and are working to get him back on the job and back pay.

The schools curriculum touched on the basic of race when covering some subjects like any other schools curriculums. The school board appears to want to whitewash education and oust their first black principal.

State laws on CRT are so vague that just teaching about Jim Crow laws could be a violation of law.

One of Texas state GOP lawmakers responsible for the laws stated that there is no place in Texas schools for guilting people (what he says CRT Deos), and that "no race is inferior as no gender is inferior.

I saw on the Today Show this morning that the first black principal of a predominantly white school district in Texas has been suspended without pay since late summer.

He is accused of violating Texas state law over teaching Critical Race Theory. Texas has passed two laws banning CRT over the past year.

The principal says the school does not teach CRT and never has, never will. His lawyers say his suspension violated his contract and are working to get him back on the job and back pay.

The schools curriculum touched on the basic of race when covering some subjects like any other schools curriculums. The school board appears to want to whitewash education and oust their first black principal.

State laws on CRT are so vague that just teaching about Jim Crow laws could be a violation of law.

One of Texas state GOP lawmakers responsible for the laws stated that there is no place in Texas schools for guilting people (what he says CRT Deos), and that "no race is inferior as no gender is inferior.
Just further proves my point that the people so against CRT don't have any idea what it actually is, they're just told that it's bad.

The Free School Lunch program looks to be the next thing to get the axe from the Democrats budget bill as Joe Manchin continues to push back at it's cost.

There have been tons of rumors circulating around that Joe Manchin was going to change parties and give the Republicans control of the Senate back. So far he's shooting those down. Not sure if this is Q-anon / right wing propaganda, but that rumor has exploded this week.

The Free School Lunch program looks to be the next thing to get the axe from the Democrats budget bill as Joe Manchin continues to push back at it's cost.

There have been tons of rumors circulating around that Joe Manchin was going to change parties and give the Republicans control of the Senate back. So far he's shooting those down. Not sure if this is Q-anon / right wing propaganda, but that rumor has exploded this week.
He won’t change parties. He is a Democrat that just won re-election. He wields way more power as a Conservative Democrat in this Congress than he would as a liberal Republican (at least for now). If, the GOP wins back the House and Presidency and he is up for re-election and doesn’t think he can win as a D he might switch but even that seems unlikely as I am certain some MAGA GOPer would likely primary him.

Edit: Most of this seems to be coming from this article…

Seems like a negotiation tactic.

So they've cut 2 year community college for everyone and now they are going to cut nutrition to the poorest children. This seems like the perfect way to compete with China. I guess the only thing that our kids should learn is how to say "Do you want fries with that?" in Mandarin.

So they've cut 2 year community college for everyone and now they are going to cut nutrition to the poorest children. This seems like the perfect way to compete with China. I guess the only thing that our kids should learn is how to say "Do you want fries with that?" in Mandarin.
Nǐ xiǎng chī zhà shǔ tiáo ma?

Back