Political Discussion

That's to get one initially. I'm sure as time goings on the price will come down.

Also, don't forget about healthcare. A full time employees healthcare can cost 2k to 3k a month for a family of 4.

Sure there are bound to be some part time employees as well. But if you take healthcare costs into consideration, Flippy is at least as expensive if not cheaper than having staff.

One of the things I have read is wages have been stagnant in part because of the increases in the cost of healthcare. And that you should think of your healthcare coverage as the raise you never got.

I say BS to that. Yes healthcare is ridiculously expensive. But what most people get for plans these days are complete shit. The system is broken. Fix it.
Most fast food jobs don't come with healthcare benefits--because most of the workers are considered part time.

As for how much healthcare costs, there are several ways we could control pricing, but that would require nationalization of quite a lot of things. As for the "healthcare costs a ton", employers and insurance companies are pushing high deductible health plans onto their lowest wage workers--thus passing this cost onto workers and also not giving them raises.

Do burger joints typically offer much in the way of employee healthcare benefits?

No.

One way a lot of these places get around health benefits is by only employing people part time and just under the number of hours required for them to put them on the company plan (if there is one). Common in a lot of food service, grocery, and some other types of businesses. I think there was something in the Affordable Care Act about the number of hours being lowered, but I can't quite remember.

For employees that are over the hours requirement they can offer a plan but it doesn't need to be affordable which puts the employees in a position where they have to choose between an expensive gov't mandated plan and an expensive individual plan - neither of which are affordable.

The basic reality is there are loopholes and the employers use them and the worker gets screwed.

There are of course a number of downstream effects / impacts on job competition, suppression of everyone's wages, individual and societal well-being.

The U.S. is not the beacon of light it thinks it is

I think they are required by law to provide full time employees (anyone who works over 30 hours a week) healthcare benefits if they have 50 or more employees. I know that's the case in MA. Not sure if it's MA law or part of the Affordable Care Act or both.

So Joe Schmoes local burger shop is exempt. But the chains aren't.
Yeah, this is sooooo not the case in Louisiana, or anywhere in the south.

25181679.jpg

This guy is running for my local board of education.

Anyone want to take a guess what his main priorities are?

Protecting the children from Democrats and Celebrities?

CTR, MASKS 'N VAX

30-50 feral hogs

DING DING DING!

What would be your top priorities if you were elected?
“Oppose any teaching of Critical Race Theory (CRT): CRT teaches that America is systematically racist. I don’t agree, All Americans have different starting places, but good opportunities are available for all that work hard & take ownership of their decisions.
“Oppose teaching of the 1619 Project: The 1619 Project basically argues that America began with the first import of a slaves in 1619 rather than our Declaration of Independence in 1776. Like CRT It’s just another victimhood scam. Our students should strive to be victors not victims.
“Oppose Covid-19 Mandates: Risks to children have been way overblown. Teachers & students are more at risk driving to school than dying of covid-19. Parents should decide whether their children should be immunized and wear masks.
“Other interest: Focus on students having a sellable skill when they graduate high school. I was able to put myself through college with engineering drawing skills learned at [Local high school].”

Also his official campaign website is his personal Gettr page. 😂

Edit: Also, like CRT months ago, TIL of 1619 Project from a conservative in opposition to it.

DING DING DING!

What would be your top priorities if you were elected?
“Oppose any teaching of Critical Race Theory (CRT): CRT teaches that America is systematically racist. I don’t agree, All Americans have different starting places, but good opportunities are available for all that work hard & take ownership of their decisions.
“Oppose teaching of the 1619 Project: The 1619 Project basically argues that America began with the first import of a slaves in 1619 rather than our Declaration of Independence in 1776. Like CRT It’s just another victimhood scam. Our students should strive to be victors not victims.
“Oppose Covid-19 Mandates: Risks to children have been way overblown. Teachers & students are more at risk driving to school than dying of covid-19. Parents should decide whether their children should be immunized and wear masks.
“Other interest: Focus on students having a sellable skill when they graduate high school. I was able to put myself through college with engineering drawing skills learned at [Local high school].”

Also his official campaign website is his personal Gettr page. 😂

Edit: Also, like CRT months ago, TIL of 1619 Project from a conservative in opposition to it.
He really missed the mark by not ending this with a resounding 'MERICA

Just got our 2022 benefits information. And the healthcare plans went from really bad to god awful.

We have 3 plans this year instead of 4. PPO1, PP2, CDHP with HSA

The Costs of the PPO plans are up 35% over last year.

New in 2022 is an out-of-network deductible.

My in-network deductible remains the same with $1250, but my out-of-network deductible is $2500. So this means if my doctors send my labs out-of-network for example, I could end up paying a higher deductible for the year.

Out-of-network coverage also took a big cut. Depending on the type of service, I am now responsible for 60% or 80% of the bill after my deductible is met for out-of-network service. This is especially concerning as my network seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year. Not sure if it's doctors saying no to the negotiated rates or the insurance company playing hardball trying to lower rates, but fewer and fewer providers are in network as many are dropping out / no longer part of network.

Just got our 2022 benefits information. And the healthcare plans went from really bad to god awful.

We have 3 plans this year instead of 4. PPO1, PP2, CDHP with HSA

The Costs of the PPO plans are up 35% over last year.

New in 2022 is an out-of-network deductible.

My in-network deductible remains the same with $1250, but my out-of-network deductible is $2500. So this means if my doctors send my labs out-of-network for example, I could end up paying a higher deductible for the year.

Out-of-network coverage also took a big cut. Depending on the type of service, I am now responsible for 60% or 80% of the bill after my deductible is met for out-of-network service. This is especially concerning as my network seems to be getting smaller and smaller every year. Not sure if it's doctors saying no to the negotiated rates or the insurance company playing hardball trying to lower rates, but fewer and fewer providers are in network as many are dropping out / no longer part of network.
I only understand around 10% off all that but it doesnt sound good and im kinda happy i dont have to deal with that stuff over here.

Dental looks like it's going to be a nightmare as well.

I have the options for Metlife and Cigna. Both are out of network at my dentist. Cigna provides no out of network coverage. Metlife is going to make me pay 40% with a max of 1000 a year coverage.

Calling around other dentist offices in the area, none of in-network. They all are either in the Delta Dental network or Harvard Pilgrim. Or both.

Using the tool online to find offices that are in network, I can't find any without expanding my radious to 25 miles. Downtown Boston is where they are at.

Dental looks like it's going to be a nightmare as well.

I have the options for Metlife and Cigna. Both are out of network at my dentist. Cigna provides no out of network coverage. Metlife is going to make me pay 40% with a max of 1000 a year coverage.

Calling around other dentist offices in the area, none of in-network. They all are either in the Delta Dental network or Harvard Pilgrim. Or both.

Using the tool online to find offices that are in network, I can't find any without expanding my radious to 25 miles. Downtown Boston is where they are at.
I know it’s not ideal but you likely are only going to have to travel into Boston once every 6 months to get your teeth cleaned…for free. Isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Back