Political Discussion

Well this is interesting!

It's no coincidence that this is happening a day after a new national poll showed a 3 way tie between Bernie, Warren and Biden while numerous polls show Bernie or Warren leading in a lot of the early states.

The billionaires are scared at the prospect of Biden tanking. But so long as nobody runs 3rd party this can only be a good thing for progressives. No Bernie / Warren supporter is gonna flip to Bloomberg.

We should be keeping a close eye on what is going on in Kentucky right now as this will be a very likely preview of how the 2020 elections will go down if republicans can't claim victory.

Claims of Irregularities and Voter Fraud being thrown out there with no evidence to back it up. This propaganda divides America and creates distrust amongst Americans in election results. Especially when they believe the propaganda and believe the election has been stolen which could result in unrest.

Currently in Kentucky, Matt Bevin is claiming thousands of absentee ballots have been illegally counted. And republican leader ship is in the state are echoing his claims. Some are remaining silent, but none are disputing it.

There is no evidence that any kind of voter fraud or illregularities occurred. Also there is no evidence that any absentee ballots have been illegally counted.

If republicans keep pushing the issue and attempt a power grab there is a very good chance we will see that on the national level in 2020.

More blatant disregard to the freedom of press. The number of cases are increasing this year.

Still defying the impeachment probe by still being a no-show after being subpoenaed by the impeachment probe.

Mick Mulvaney is now saying he is no longer suing in federal court over his Subpoena and now saying instead he is following orders from the White House and Justice Departing to not testify.

Talk about obstruction of justice.

Here is a great read on how divided America is right now.

This is the most telling paragraph:

"Just pause for a moment and think about the town or city you call home. How many of your neighbors voted the same way you did in the last presidential election cycle? Probably most of them. And if they didn’t, research indicates you may be considering relocating sometime soon.

Just 40 years ago, most districts in the US were swing districts. Today, less than half of them are. And this is unlikely to change anytime soon, as more and more people move to neighborhoods where they likely won’t encounter anyone who holds an opposing political view.

So, what happened over the last four decades? Journalist Bill Bishop explains we’ve been self-sorting ourselves since the 1970s, when geographic inequality in education grew. That meant Americans with college degrees began clustering in big cities, while less-educated people remained in more rural areas. And jobs migrated accordingly, with technology and production following the new city dwellers.

This clustering was followed by the rise of partisan media, social media networks and a market that was built quite literally on catering to those divisions. In other words, entire identities — defined by diet, media patterns and size of home — have been created around party affiliation. And, as sociological research explains, place, and even consumption habits, have become a way of creating identity and broadcasting it to the world — or, at least, our closest neighbor."

"Just pause for a moment and think about the town or city you call home. How many of your neighbors voted the same way you did in the last presidential election cycle? Probably most of them. And if they didn’t, research indicates you may be considering relocating sometime soon.

Just 40 years ago, most districts in the US were swing districts. Today, less than half of them are. And this is unlikely to change anytime soon, as more and more people move to neighborhoods where they likely won’t encounter anyone who holds an opposing political view.

So, what happened over the last four decades? Journalist Bill Bishop explains we’ve been self-sorting ourselves since the 1970s, when geographic inequality in education grew. That meant Americans with college degrees began clustering in big cities, while less-educated people remained in more rural areas. And jobs migrated accordingly, with technology and production following the new city dwellers.

This clustering was followed by the rise of partisan media, social media networks and a market that was built quite literally on catering to those divisions. In other words, entire identities — defined by diet, media patterns and size of home — have been created around party affiliation. And, as sociological research explains, place, and even consumption habits, have become a way of creating identity and broadcasting it to the world — or, at least, our closest neighbor."

My district just swing to the Dems in the last election. Currently my neighbor is pretty conservative (NRA sticker, goes to church, and MAGA hat was noticed when we stopped by to check in after the fires). However, by far he is the nicest neighbor. We have conversations all the time at the end of the driveway when putting out the cans.

Recently he and another neighbor were talking about the power outages. They blamed the current Gov. Newsome. Which I think is a little nuts since teh power companies have been private for a while now. He stopped the conversation short, not wanting to discuss politics. I made a joke about wanting to remain on good terms with each other.

We do come from very different backgrounds. He's older, more rural (even though he had his family in Eagle Rock), blue collar job. He' s dealt with a lot in his family. One son was shot, but survived (gang initiation violence) the other died in a traffic accident.

He's the first white person my wife has seen with no teeth. He walks around without any dentures. I keep telling my wife that not all white people are like the ones she grew up around in Hollywood.

Were about to invite him and his wife to our son's B-day party. Should be interesting, since her half is all Guatemalan immigrants.

This is interesting. Juleanna Glover disusses the possibility to do the impeachment trial by secret ballot in the senate ( which senate could vote on by single majority, i.e. 3 gop senators voting for it)

I’m assuming there’s some truth to this but I wonder how much of it is confirmation bias?

Urban America in the 70’s was rough. White flight and race-politics had abandoned it and so did the jobs; moving either to the suburbs or foreign lands. its hard to imagine people actively choosing to live someplace more dangerous and less stable because of their liberal identity.

Now post Reagan and Bush 1, culture had shifted, interest rates were lowered, the recession of the late 80’s had passed, deregulation had set-in, and even more people were feeling desperate and hopeless about their future. The city felt opportunistic again.You could buy that old warehouse building for not very much and be an artist or flip it to your fellow white kids that were rejecting theit 2nd invitation to1950’s America.

By the late 90’s tech boom the real estate economy was too enticing to not take advantage of and those corporate tech dollars started to flood (and kill) cities. The west coast first - then everywhere.

I suppose all of this is tied or confounded by political affiliation but I’m not sure whether you wore red or blue stripes was the driver

This is interesting. Juleanna Glover disusses the possibility to do the impeachment trial by secret ballot in the senate ( which senate could vote on by single majority, i.e. 3 gop senators voting for it)

In won't happen. Every Republican Congress and Senator not named Mitt Romney carry water for the President.

In won't happen. Every Republican Congress and Senator not named Mitt Romney carry water for the President.
Agree. A vote for the secret ballot will by default be viewed as a vote against the president. That person's career in Republican politics, lobbying, think tanks, FOX News gigs, etc., will be over. If senators are scared to even criticize the president, they'll certainly not go on the record requesting the opportunity to secretly vote against him.

Agree. A vote for the secret ballot will by default be viewed as a vote against the president. That person's career in Republican politics, lobbying, think tanks, FOX News gigs, etc., will be over. If senators are scared to even criticize the president, they'll certainly not go on the record requesting the opportunity to secretly vote against him.
You all could have at least let me live in a fantastic utopia dream land for a few more hours! Sheesh. ;)

As mentioned in the text there are a bunch of 70+ senators who already announced retirement. If there are indeed gop senators who would vote against trump in a secret ballot, the outgoing senators might take the fall for them.
But generally i am not sure if tge whole thing would be good. Impeaching trump on a secret ballot would be oil on the fire for every conspiracy theorist, deep state believer and nutjob and would only further the divide. the way to get rid of trump is in the elections and if the american people vote him for another 4 years after witnessing him in the first four, they really earned him, as hard as it sounds.

Back