Political Discussion

Break out the popcorn.

This Liz Cheney drama is quite the show of how corrupt the republican party is.
“The Republican Party is at a turning point, and Republicans must decide whether we are going to choose truth and fidelity to the Constitution."

I keep seeing Very Serious Conservatives saying things like this, as if the party hasn't already made its decision. The turning point was several years ago -- we're seeing the result, not the deliberations.

I'm not sure that any comment I can make would be adequately snarky enough, so I'll just go with a gif.

In perhaps the most startling finding, nearly half (44%) of respondents in the 53 countries surveyed are concerned that the US threatens democracy in their country; fear of Chinese influence is by contrast 38%, and fear of Russian influence is lowest at 28%. The findings may in part reflect views on US comparative power, but they show neither the US, nor the G7, can simply assume the mantle of defenders of democracy.

Since last year, the perception of US influence as a threat to democracy around the world has increased significantly, from a net opinion of +6 to a net opinion of +14. This increase is particularly high in Germany (+20) and China (+16).

The countries still overwhelmingly negative about US influence are Russia and China, followed by European democracies.

The study shows an attachment to democracy globally, with 81% of people around the world saying that it is important to have democracy in their country. Only a little more than half (53%) say their country is actually democratic today – even in democracies.

Speaking of being a threat to democracy, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis just signed a very controversial and restrictive voting bill into law this morning in Florida.

I got a kick out of this:

Local media outlets told CNN that they were not allowed to go inside the morning signing event and that it was a Fox News exclusive.

Also, I love how they. can spin it to make it sound like the bill is actually good and a step forward to our democracy.

"Me signing this bill says: Florida, your vote counts, your vote is going to be cast with integrity and transparency and this is a great place for democracy," DeSantis said after signing the bill.

Several lawsuits have already been filed today against this bill. This bill targets Florida's Black Voters, Latino Voters and voters with disabilities.

Glad to see golf cart paths in the south get more funding and development than pedestrians and cyclists get.

Those paths are used by pedestrians and cyclists along with the carts. They are also low power usage electric vehicles that apparently in that town are extremely popular. How many cars does that keep off the road? Just look at that high school parking lot. While it’s not uncommon and a lot of small communities down here to see people using golf carts or electric side-by-side ‘s, at the same time that community is really unique and the sheer volume of carts used and its cart roadway system.

So why exactly are you mad about it?

Texas has been redistricted to such a ridiculous degree that Republicans really don't need voter suppression bills other than to run up the scoreboard. My only hopes are the rising minority population in the state and all the influx of people from other states. I'm not banking on either as South Texas went heavily for Trump in the last election and the people coming in from other states seem to be coming from blue states to escape blue state governments. Yeah, we're getting Californians. Red district Californians. I think at some point the Republican Party will overplay their hand but we just had 3 straight terms of Rick Perry and soon to be 3 straight terms of Greg Abbott. We've also re-elected Cruz recently. The wife and I both agreed that once the kids finish school, we're moving onward. If we get the chance earlier than that, we're going to take it.

Texas has been redistricted to such a ridiculous degree that Republicans really don't need voter suppression bills other than to run up the scoreboard. My only hopes are the rising minority population in the state and all the influx of people from other states. I'm not banking on either as South Texas went heavily for Trump in the last election and the people coming in from other states seem to be coming from blue states to escape blue state governments. Yeah, we're getting Californians. Red district Californians. I think at some point the Republican Party will overplay their hand but we just had 3 straight terms of Rick Perry and soon to be 3 straight terms of Greg Abbott. We've also re-elected Cruz recently. The wife and I both agreed that once the kids finish school, we're moving onward. If we get the chance earlier than that, we're going to take it.

i’m pretty sure most Texans I know I would consider that a fair trade. 😂

(It’s just a joke.)

How else are they going to have enough fire fighters?

While everyone knows California fought more than 600 fires this season, very few people are aware that each year, thousands of incarcerated men, women and teenagers join one of 192 inmate fire crews.

They earn as little as $2.90 a day, work in brutal 24-hour shifts, battle out-of-control blazes and risk their lives in unbelievably dangerous conditions, just to get a shot at having their criminal records erased.

And they do all of this after just two weeks of training.

The state's use of inmates to fight fires is a human rights violation that history will almost certainly deem cruel. But perhaps the greatest violation comes after these inmates are released. Until recently, they have been banned outright from working as civilian firefighters.

Back