Political Discussion

Nothing like hearing Noam Chomsky quoted on Hill.TV. Also, the story about the story is ridiculous. It takes the opportunity to critique the media and polarizes the matter further as opposed to reporting the issue straight (the very thing it’s accusing the MSM of). I don’t think the Jeopardy! Dude deserves to get shat on like this but that has more to do with the hyperbolic nature of social media than anything the MSM did. However we got here regarding the “Okay” hand gesture it is a bummer but we are where we are. I don’t believe this guy was doing it purposely to make a statement but the symbol does now unfortunately have underlying connotations. Just like certain words used to be fine to say but have been removed from our cultural lexicon due to the fact they are now perceived a hurtful, so will that hand gesture. As time passes, it will become more and more obvious that people making the gesture are doing it purposely as the plausible deniability of ignorance becomes less and less possible. All that to say, this guy apologized which I feel is a completely reasonable response. Unfortunately, social media needs to be outraged about something and this was the thing over the weekend, thankfully it is fickle and will move on to its next victim soon enough. I doubt most reasonable people will think this dude is a Three Percenter, unfortunately I don’t know how many reasonable people are left.
“Reasonable” isn’t a thing on the internet anymore. Of course most reasonable people don’t concern themselves with the Outrage of the Day™️ and have zero clue about the OK sign or whatever other terrible crime everyone is unknowingly committing. Other people no longer seem to have the ability to look at context and make rational deductions of intent with regards to what others say or do. Or maybe they don’t care because it isn’t about being reasonable, it’s about the dopamine hit from “doing something.”

Bending the knee and apologizing to the mob only emboldens them. The only way to make them stop is to dismiss them with nothing more than a “that’s stupid. Shut up” then go about your business refusing to be cancelled.

It’s all just so fucking stupid.

I’d suggest taking up a far healthier pastime. Like heroin or meth.
I enjoy smuggly sitting back with a cup of coffee realizing it's nice not to be outraged all the time. Cancel culture and the anti-woke set are two sides of the same annoying coin. I'm tired of the middle ground or having nuance be treated as an awful thing. You can acknowledge something or someone is wrong while simultaneously not trying to destroy that someone or something. Conversely, you can acknowledge and appreciate that inclusion (being woke) isn't entirely a bad thing without feeling personally attacked because you are, for once, on the outside looking in.

“Reasonable” isn’t a thing on the internet anymore. Of course most reasonable people don’t concern themselves with the Outrage of the Day™️ and have zero clue about the OK sign or whatever other terrible crime everyone is unknowingly committing. Other people no longer seem to have the ability to look at context and make rational deductions of intent with regards to what others say or do. Or maybe they don’t care because it isn’t about being reasonable, it’s about the dopamine hit from “doing something.”

Bending the knee and apologizing to the mob only emboldens them. The only way to make them stop is to dismiss them with nothing more than a “that’s stupid. Shut up” then go about your business refusing to be cancelled.

It’s all just so fucking stupid.
I am an imperfect vessel, if I were to unintentionally offend people I don’t think I would have any issues apologizing and that is what he has done. The bigger issue is when people do apologize, especially for something like this, most are unwilling to show grace and forgiveness that they would expect if the shoe was on the other foot.

Facebook is combatting Apple's new privacy features which allow people to be opt out of being tracked in every way possible. Scare tactics including saying you will may need to pay for Facebook/Instagram and filing antitrust lawsuits in various countries.

ATT adds a new permission layer to iOS. Like location data, camera and mic access, tracking is now included in the permission layers. iPhone owners must grant an app permission to track you.

This means apps can no longer track you and sell your data without your consent. Great for privacy. But really hurts social media platforms where you are the product they sell.

Its funny because this weekend after getting out on one grocery store it tile me i need to got to the next one, which is my normal Sunday habit.

So if I add up my mortgage, bills, medical spending, child spending, etc. why can't I claim losses and get my taxes deferred?

Even worse. I had those losses 5 years ago but you know I decided to roll a bit of them over for each of the following number of years to get the maximum tax evasion benefit.

It’s sickening, as someone who feels that they should be facing a windfall tax off the back of them profiting from a pandemic to see them paying zero is just deflating on every level.

I don't think we discussed this yet, but the results of the 2020 census are in.

It it's painting a very clear picture that the GOP will have the advantage in 2022.

Blue states are losing the most seats while Red states are picking up the most seats.

The following states are each losing 1 seat in the house of representatives.
  • California
  • Illinois
  • Michigan
  • New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • West Virginia
The following states are each picking up a seat with the exception of Texas which is picking up two seats.
  • Texas
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • Oregon

With democrats only holding on to the majority in the house by single digits, these shifts in seats have a very good chance of shifting the majority party in 2022. And this is without considering how all the voter suppression bills being passed this year will have an effect on the election results.

As for the swing states listed, if the Republican party is in control at the state level odds are good it's blue seats that will be cut when they redraw lines.

I don't think we discussed this yet, but the results of the 2020 census are in.

It it's painting a very clear picture that the GOP will have the advantage in 2022.

Blue states are losing the most seats while Red states are picking up the most seats.

The following states are each losing 1 seat in the house of representatives.
  • California
  • Illinois
  • Michigan
  • New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • West Virginia
The following states are each picking up a seat with the exception of Texas which is picking up two seats.
  • Texas
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Montana
  • North Carolina
  • Oregon

With democrats only holding on to the majority in the house by single digits, these shifts in seats have a very good chance of shifting the majority party in 2022. And this is without considering how all the voter suppression bills being passed this year will have an effect on the election results.

As for the swing states listed, if the Republican party is in control at the state level odds are good it's blue seats that will be cut when they redraw lines.
But, we've got to ask exactly who is being added to places like Colorado, and Oregon where legalization happened very early. Then we have to look at places like Florida, Texas and North Carolina that are picking up a lot of millenials because of decent priced housing near jobs that pay decently. It will be interesting to see how they draw the districts--hopefully without too much jerrymandering--and see how many of those newly added seats flip blue.

How would NC look after the added seat? A 10-3 split is still 13 seats. There will be an additional seat in the 2022 election. So would the goal then be 11-3 split?

Last edited:
This talk about gerrymandering has started to get me worried. While we haven't heard much about it in the news as of yet, just record numbers of voter suppression bills which have a more immediate effect. It does appear that after the SCOTUS cleared the way for gerrymandering we will also see a record number of districts redrawn following the 2020 election. They are setting them self up to comfortably control both the house and senate.

Former president Bush released his a book, and with that spoke to the press and answered questions about the current state of the Republican party. Something he has largely been silent on.

Some key things mentioned I find fassinating are:
  • Bush would be considered unelectable if he ran for governor of Texas today.
  • Bush would be considered unelectable if he ran for president today.
The values and policies of the republican party and their base have shifted so far since the time Bush was president a little less than 15 years ago. Today Bush would not reflect the values and policies that other republican elective officials have and their base are looking for. He would be considered "too liberal". I would have never believed in that being possible 15 years ago.

Bush also commented that the Republican Party does not have a future if they stand for "White Anglo-Saxon Protestantism".

I also heard from a small business owner that he received 3 unemployment claims today. One of them was for himself. Either he fired himself and didn't know about it or there has been some kind of fraud. Turns out all 3 unemployment claims received against his business today were fraudulent.

Unemployment fraud across the nation is skyrocketing.

It should be something on your radar to watch out for, because come tax season next year, if someone stole your identity and committed unemployment fraud you could end up with a massive tax bill which may take months to straighten out. People are still trying to get statis to correct tax forms from the 2020 tax season so that the IRS does not say they owe taxes. Meanwhile, until that happens, the IRS considers the money owed and is coming after people who they say owe it.

Back