Political Discussion

re: the pipeline

I think my favorite part about this is how a private business didn't properly secure their operations, but that's okay because we will be paying for their cyber security upgrade and the pause in business. I wonder how well shareholder dividends look...

Biden highlighted the 100-day sprint announced by his administration last month to improve electric sector cybersecurity, and said more actions would be forthcoming to ensure the security of other critical utilities.

“Private entities are making their own determinations on cybersecurity, so to jump-start greater private sector investment in cybersecurity, we launched a new public-private initiative in April,” Biden said. “It began with a 100-day sprint to improve cybersecurity in the electric sector, and we will follow that with similar initiatives for national gas pipelines, water and other sectors. In addition to companies stepping up, we need to invest to safeguard our critical infrastructure.”

So we are going to subsidize a private business with public funds, but we are still paying $3/gal at the pump?
Why do we keep having to pay to bail out corporations that were too greedy to reinvest in their own businesses while shareholders get record payouts? I'm sick of paying for the mistakes of the corporate world when all they are doing is making sure that housing and medicine are unaffordable to most people in America.

More craziness on the pipeline.

People are panic buying gas like TP a year ago. People who I work with out of the Greenville SC office are saying most gas stations are out of gas down there this morning and those that do have gas have long lines.

I haven't ventured out yet today, but I don't suspect it's that bad around here. Mainly because most of our gas comes in by ship to the Boston Harbor. There are refineries in Chelsea. Though if there is panic buying there could still be shortages.

Also, interestingly enough, this ransomware attack was only officially mentioned as a cyberattack initially. It wasn't until the hackers apologised for the ransomware attack that that's what happened became public. I think they bit off more than they can chew and are scrambling. Poking big oil is poking a bear to large to manage.

Love how they claim they are just in the business for the money and are promising ethical ransomware.

Like any ransomware is ethical...

More craziness on the pipeline.

People are panic buying gas like TP a year ago. People who I work with out of the Greenville SC office are saying most gas stations are out of gas down there this morning and those that do have gas have long lines.

I haven't ventured out yet today, but I don't suspect it's that bad around here. Mainly because most of our gas comes in by ship to the Boston Harbor. There are refineries in Chelsea. Though if there is panic buying there could still be shortages.

Also, interestingly enough, this ransomware attack was only officially mentioned as a cyberattack initially. It wasn't until the hackers apologised for the ransomware attack that that's what happened became public. I think they bit off more than they can chew and are scrambling. Poking big oil is poking a bear to large to manage.

Love how they claim they are just in the business for the money and are promising ethical ransomware.

Like any ransomware is ethical...
I'm not sure if this is correct, but if it is, then the pipeline is functional, they just can't bill anyone, which is why they shut it down.

I'm not sure if this is correct, but if it is, then the pipeline is functional, they just can't bill anyone, which is why they shut it down.

Yes, that is correct.

Colonial Pipeline shut down there service on Friday after the attack started. The attack did not take the pipelines offline itself.

Money is the most likely reason for them to shut down there service. More so than safety sadly.

Yes, that is correct.

Colonial Pipeline shut down there service on Friday after the attack started. The attack did not take the pipelines offline itself.

Money is the most likely reason for them to shut down there service. More so than safety sadly.
It's an exploit not just of the infrastructure, but of capitalism itself. You don't *have* to attack the actual pipeline in order to shut it down, clearly. Our vulnerabilities aren't only limited to old/unsecured technologies.

This was an interesting experiment and it families spent the money exactly how the program intended.

Though, Republicans are still against anything like this because the money will be used to buy "booze and drugs". Though the study shows that was not the case.

This was an interesting experiment and it families spent the money exactly how the program intended.

Though, Republicans are still against anything like this because the money will be used to buy "booze and drugs". Though the study shows that was not the case.

Long story short

rates of drug and alcohol use in young adulthood is higher in young adults with higher SES

And every goddam time they attach snap money to drug tests they find lower rates of drug use and it costs the state more money to administer the tests.

And while they are at it they should also increase the price of health insurance for other people in their neighborhood of a similar demographic.

For the past 30 years the battleground states of the rustbelt have decided our presidential elections. The latest data pulled together from the 2020 census shows us that that likely will no longer be the case heading into 2024. Demographic data shows that the sunbelt states will take that title away from the midwest. Instead of Ohio and Pennsylvania being the key states that have the biggest impact on the election results, North Carolina, Texas and Colorado will become the key states to watch for deciding the election results.

Sad news here and just read about this for the first time when I looked up Charlotte's Web to make sure I had the right name for what I was about to post.

I was about to ask @Twentytwo if Gov. Bill Lee and Tennessee is one of those states that would have Child Protective Services take your kids away for giving them Class 1 Illicit drugs if you treated their epilepsy with Charlotte's Web. Which by the way, is a CBD based product and contains no THC.

Sad news here and just read about this for the first time when I looked up Charlotte's Web to make sure I had the right name for what I was about to post.

I was about to ask @Twentytwo if Gov. Bill Lee and Tennessee is one of those states that would have Child Protective Services take your kids away for giving them Class 1 Illicit drugs if you treated their epilepsy with Charlotte's Web. Which by the way, is a CBD based product and contains no THC.

I wouldn't put anything past Bill Lee and the TN General Assembly. He is basically Donald Trump only Trump is more progressive. I would not be surprised if he runs for President someday.

Our governor in Tennessee is a real D-Bag. He surely knows about hard work being that he inherited one of Tennessee's biggest electrical and plumbing companies. This guy even hates medical marijuana.

"meaningful employment" = businesses really want to exploit workers by paying them inadequately with no benefits during a pandemic but can't if people stay on unemployment and refuse to work for them

How else are they going to have enough fire fighters?

While everyone knows California fought more than 600 fires this season, very few people are aware that each year, thousands of incarcerated men, women and teenagers join one of 192 inmate fire crews.

They earn as little as $2.90 a day, work in brutal 24-hour shifts, battle out-of-control blazes and risk their lives in unbelievably dangerous conditions, just to get a shot at having their criminal records erased.

And they do all of this after just two weeks of training.

The state's use of inmates to fight fires is a human rights violation that history will almost certainly deem cruel. But perhaps the greatest violation comes after these inmates are released. Until recently, they have been banned outright from working as civilian firefighters.

California relies on that labor so heavily, a certain past attorney general fought not to free folks who had completed their sentences or were eligible for time credits because the state needed the labor.

California relies on that labor so heavily, a certain past attorney general fought not to free folks who had completed their sentences or were eligible for time credits because the state needed the labor.
I read an article that about 40% of CA's fire fighting force are inmates and that if they die while fighting fires, their families get no survivors benefits.

Back