Political Discussion

Pretty crazy account of DC protestors around Trump's path last night being herded to a residential street. It's a good thread which includes an account by one of the priests who was at St. John's before they pushed them out for the photo op.

This is rather far from the White House.

Not trying to imply anything at all. Just giving some context. Swann and 15th street. The streets in DC go up the letters and then when they run out of letters, the streets are one syllable names alphabetically. Then after that string, 2 syllable names, etc. So, the White House is around H street. So Swann Street is many blocks north.

This is rather far from the White House.

Not trying to imply anything at all. Just giving some context. Swann and 15th street. The streets in DC go up the letters and then when they run out of letters, the streets are one syllable names alphabetically. Then after that string, 2 syllable names, etc. So, the White House is around H street. So Swann Street is many blocks north.
Sorry, I guess they were talking about multiple protests in there. It does include accounts of St John's people being run off as well, so maybe I got confused and thought they were the same group.

Last edited:
Another topic that is absolutely ridiculous.

As most of you know I owe more today on my student loans than when I graduated in 2008. More than double in fact. And I fell behind this past year when the graduated repayment program doubled my monthly payment and I couldn't afford it. I continued to give them what I gave them previously until my loans defaulted.

I was just checking my federal student loans account online, and saw that I now have an additional $9,458.11 in "Collection Fees" added to my account. And these fees are included in in the balance I have to pay to make my account current. Which I have to do by next year or they can administratively garnish my pay which would financially ruin me as I live in a high rent area. I wouldn't be able to make rent if they did that.

Why do they make it so oppressive and hard to get out of debt and keep you down.

And how in the world is nearly $10,000 in collections fees even acceptable and where do they get that figure.

Sorry, I guess they were talked ng about multiple protests in there. It does include accounts of St John's people being run off as well, so maybe I got confused and thought they were the same group.

Oh, I didn't mean that in any way. Just that there are multiple areas of protests.

Oh, I didn't mean that in any way. Just that there are multiple areas of protests.
And honestly, there is no reason for there to be protestors up at Swann and 15th. It is residential. I'm guessing the cops chased them up there.

Another topic that is absolutely ridiculous.

As most of you know I owe more today on my student loans than when I graduated in 2008. More than double in fact. And I fell behind this past year when the graduated repayment program doubled my monthly payment and I couldn't afford it. I continued to give them what I gave them previously until my loans defaulted.

I was just checking my federal student loans account online, and saw that I now have an additional $9,458.11 in "Collection Fees" added to my account. And these fees are included in in the balance I have to pay to make my account current. Which I have to do by next year or they can administratively garnish my pay which would financially ruin me as I live in a high rent area. I wouldn't be able to make rent if they did that.

Why do they make it so oppressive and hard to get out of debt and keep you down.

And how in the world is nearly $10,000 in collections fees even acceptable and where do they get that figure.

#EatTheRich

How is it that people I grew up with blasting songs like "Fuck the Police" with, are now on social media posting awful things about the protesters? What has made their mind change so much, when we have lead extremely similar lives? I still kind of feel like if I sat down and talked to them, they would get it, because they used to. But sadly I realize its probably just too late for that. So do i jeopordize a long standing friendship over politics? It's not something I've ever been willing to do, I'm typically loyal to the death as long as it is mutual, differences be damned. But I feel like its my duty speek up right now so it may just be a bridge I have to cross.

How is it that people I grew up with blasting songs like "Fuck the Police" with, are now on social media posting awful things about the protesters? What has made their mind change so much, when we have lead extremely similar lives? I still kind of feel like if I sat down and talked to them, they would get it, because they used to. But sadly I realize its probably just too late for that. So do i jeopordize a long standing friendship over politics? It's not something I've ever been willing to do, I'm typically loyal to the death as long as it is mutual, differences be damned. But I feel like its my duty speek up right now so it may just be a bridge I have to cross.

Been running into the same thing and it's sad. I've decided fuck it and I've spoke my mind but it's not easy. If they don't want to talk with me afterwards that's on them, obviously they aren't the person/people I thought they were in the first place.

The GOP is moving forward with pulling the Republican National Convention out of North Carolina.

They blame the democratic governor. The social distancing measures will still likely be in place in August for crowds as large as the convention would have. The GOP expected for the state to open back up by then or an exemption be made for the convention. Since the governor is giving them no guarantees and says it depends on the health data at the time they are crying foul play7 and that this is just a democratic attack on the convention.

The GOP is moving forward with pulling the Republican National Convention out of North Carolina.

They blame the democratic governor. The social distancing measures will still likely be in place in August for crowds as large as the convention would have. The GOP expected for the state to open back up by then or an exemption be made for the convention. Since the governor is giving them no guarantees and says it depends on the health data at the time they are crying foul play7 and that this is just a democratic attack on the convention.
Haha, ofc they say it's an attack, wtf. It's just being prudent. He didn't even say no. I will state here that our governor went on record about the riots saying not to let the property damage distract us from why people are in the streets. Thumbs up for Governor Cooper.

This would be quite bold. They can blame the State all they want but it is ultimately their decision to pull out. Lots of local voters are going to miss out on the revenues this event would have brought in. Especially when they move it to Florida or Texas and still likely have to deal with many of the same restrictions. NC leaned slightly red I would imagine them pulling the convention probably makes it a total toss up State now.

Pete Ricketts can go get fucked. Go out and vote and in the fall, keep these racists out of office.

While it's hard to say anything is funny right now, something "humorous" I heard today when a reporter was talking about Trumps Bible photo op was..........
"With the world watching, he's holding the Bible like someone would hold a piece of shit, how embarrassing"

It’s well know that a part of the modern KKKs strategy has been to infiltrate / join police forces around the country (and they’re have been more than couple reports of police teaming with boogaloo and other right wing groups over the course of the past week) so this is no surprise but...

Back