Political Discussion

opinion piece

i would agree that part of the Republican strategy for decades has been the "dog whistling" the writer mentions. It's an opinion piece, not a journalistic article about presenting multiple sides to a story, but still I think it would have been useful to discuss the liberal democratic issues with race and the image of equity they present to the public but fail to represent (more times than not) with policy

Speaking of that Murder, my father sent me a bunch of conspiracy theory garbage about it this morning.

He says those officers did not kill George Floyd, and there is proof on video. The car George Floyd was arrested behind was not the same car in the Crime scene photos. He sent me a whole twitter thread using different photos from surveillance cameras from local businesses that show the car parked on the side of the road that he was killed next to changed. Therefor this whole thing is fabricated. Those officers did not kill him.

I just can't anymore.

Speaking of that Murder, my father sent me a bunch of conspiracy theory garbage about it this morning.

He says those officers did not kill George Floyd, and there is proof on video. The car George Floyd was arrested behind was not the same car in the Crime scene photos. He sent me a whole twitter thread using different photos from surveillance cameras from local businesses that show the car parked on the side of the road that he was killed next to changed. Therefor this whole thing is fabricated. Those officers did not kill him.

I just can't anymore.

Just human to human here... have you considered not interacting with your father? or setting boundaries about politics and conversation? Unless you are genuinely intrigued by or interested in the things he purports? Otherwise it isn't really worth your time is it? or are you still genuinely shocked by his idiocy and attempts to manipulate stories to fit his worldview? You could also just block his email address.

Speaking from personal experience with a narcissistic parent a therapist might help you out with this. It is a really difficult thing to have to do... to have to be the adult with people who are supposed to be the adults for you... but sometimes they don't leave you a choice.

Just human to human here... have you considered not interacting with your father? or setting boundaries about politics and conversation? Unless you are genuinely intrigued by or interested in the things he purports? Otherwise it isn't really worth your time is it? or are you still genuinely shocked by his idiocy and attempts to manipulate stories to fit his worldview? You could also just block his email address.

Speaking from personal experience with a narcissistic parent a therapist might help you out with this. It is a really difficult thing to have to do... to have to be the adult with people who are supposed to be the adults for you... but sometimes they don't leave you a choice.

I am genuinely shocked by his idiocy. I used to ignore it. Now I throw facts back at him which are always written off as "fake news" or that I'm "Naïve" and that the "truth will come out". I just ignore him on that now.

I did have fun linking him back his own twitter thread which got flagged for misinformation. But of course he says Trump will take care of that...

Why do people automatically call 911 to solve a problem? I mean shouldn't there be other ways to verify if these guys are allowed to have access to the gym. Maybe ask them for a business card or institute a gym ID for the whole building.
Right? It's so alien to me, though I do understand that there are huge swaths of white people who turn to police at the drop of a hat. I have literally never called the police, and my parents never did either, except once when I was small and thought someone had tried to kidnap me. And like, my folks are totally the fox news crowd, but it doesn't bother them to think someone might be breaking a rule or getting away with a thing, and they don't feel entitled to never be annoyed by a neighbor's music or whatever.
The gym does require ID cards from employees to access the gym. The ID Card has RFID and allows them through security. They have to be both authorized to enter the building and the gym on their ID / Badge to be able to access the gym. They wouldn't be able to access the gym otherwise like they said.

They refused to show ID, because why should they have too just because they are black? Asking them to prove they belong their is not this guys job. But rather building / office security.
Yes, I was going to say this. There is no reason for a member or resident to assume the role of membership cop. No one's entitled to anyone else's business.

Right? It's so alien to me, though I do understand that there are huge swaths of white people who turn to police at the drop of a hat. I have literally never called the police, and my parents never did either, except once when I was small and thought someone had tried to kidnap me. And like, my folks are totally the fox news crowd, but it doesn't bother them to think someone might be breaking a rule or getting away with a thing, and they don't feel entitled to never be annoyed by a neighbor's music or whatever.
I, for one, have never been in any situation where the police arrived and the situation improved by any metric. I sure as shit have never called them.

I’ve called the police on people of color once (well multiple time but always the same complain) I used to live near a gay black club. It was always pretty quiet...with the exception of Sunday nights. Every night at closing time they would pour into the nearby major street and hang out by each others cars. This involved playing music really loud till 3 or 4 and frequent fights. They would stand in the middle of the street, in like groups of 10-15 people. Well the cops would either clear them out with cars or bring in a helicopter. Never called 911 always 311. It’s a non emergency number. Maybe they should publicize it more often.

Speaking from the Oval Office ahead of signing the order, Trump said the move was to "defend free speech from one of the gravest dangers it has faced in American history."
"A small handful of social media monopolies controls a vast portion of all public and private communications in the United States," he claimed. "They've had unchecked power to censor, restrict, edit, shape, hide, alter, virtually any form of communication between private citizens and large public audiences."

Gravest danger to free speech? They didn't censor, restrict, edit, shape, hide or alter trumps tweets in anyway. They just added a flag to it with a fact check to stop the spread of misinformation. They are a private company, they have every right to do this.

Protestors Criticized For Looting Businesses Without Forming Private Equity Firm First

"
That might actually be one of the least wrong things i'vve heard him say in a while
Exactly! The Right now wants to add MORE regulations and government oversight of Big Tech? That is great! Let’s have some hearings and pass some laws and regulations! The funny part is is the one thing he wants to regulate, the first amendment kind gets in the way of that but Twitter was mean to the Prez so the Republicans should completely change their ideology on regulation. Can a Banker or a Coal Mining Exec call him a liar too?

Last edited:
Exactly! The Right now wants to add MORE regulations and government oversight of Big Tech? That is great! Let’s have some hearings and pass some laws and regulations! The funny part is is the one thing he wants to regulate, the first amendment kind gets in the way of that but Twitter was mean to the Prez so the Republicans should completely change their ideology on regulation. Can a Banker or a Coal Mining Exec call him a liar too?
It's interesting that populist right wingers over here also often complain about their opinions censored when they have ample space to express them but are just widely criticised. They don't just want free speech but also be a applauded for their opinions

A CNN News crew was arrested in Minneapolis this morning during a live broadcast covering the riots.

They were live on air for the 5am news program when the police told them to move. They did not move because they were on air so they were arrested on live television.

The issue was a curfew was put into place to keep people off the streets because of the riots. The police told the news crew they had to move. They were violating the curfew and could not be out on the street.

The news crew has now been released and the Governor has apologized for their arrest.

Last edited:
Back