Political Discussion

That post was from a Political Historian. And the parts you listed as "Republicans are bad, mmmkay" is the history of of how we got to where we are where we don't have the social safety nets in place and why coronavirus is testing our system. I think it's okay in here because it's just historical facts. It's not intended to be political buch touches on politics by giving us a history of how we got to where we are today.
I don’t disagree with her analysis (which has plenty of wording in it that can be construed as opinion) but I do agree with Chuck. Coronavirus and politics are linked in lots of ways but if the point of breaking this out into its own thread was to take the focus off the political backbiting, then we should respect that; otherwise it’s just two politics thread and one has lots of COVID-19 updates. Surely we can criticize governments’ handling of the response here without turning it into indictments of parties or voters.

That post was from a Political Historian. And the parts you listed as "Republicans are bad, mmmkay" is the history of of how we got to where we are where we don't have the social safety nets in place and why coronavirus is testing our system. I think it's okay in here because it's just historical facts. It's not intended to be political buch touches on politics by giving us a history of how we got to where we are today.

It should be in the politics thread. People avoid that thread for a reason. Respect that.

I’m familiar with the work of Heather Cox Richardson. Her work can be fairly accurately summed up as “the history of how the Republican Party became evil”. It’s completely infused with a hard political axe being ground, especially as it enters the modern era.

I was very thankful when you separated the COVID-19 discussion out of the politics thread. Now I’m less so as there isn’t much point if you’re just gonna fill this thread with political bullshit.

I know I reacted really strongly, but I was a bit taken aback to find such an overtly political post there this morning from the person who originally split the discussion. I know I don’t carry much currency in that department But I do want to say thank you for heeding the words of others and moving this discussion back here where it belongs.

Thank you.

Last edited:
@Chucktshoes Just moved those posts to the Political thread as it was creating unnecessary contention.

While I may disagree with you on that that that post by Heather Cox Richardson was and her work can be summed up as "The history of how the Republican Party became evil" I respect your views.

I did not expect that article to get such a reaction.

@Chucktshoes Just moved those posts to the Political thread as it was creating unnecessary contention.

While I may disagree with you on that that that post by Heather Cox Richardson was and her work can be summed up as "The history of how the Republican Party became evil" I respect your views.

I did not expect that article to get such a reaction.
Oops, can you move my response to the food stamps article too? I apologize, i thought i was in the politics thread. My response is not helpful in this thread.

Chuck - thanks for not calling me out. ❤

Edit: day 3 of self imposed quarantine and i have no idea where i am. I AM in the politics thread. Lol. My brain is melting.

Well well well... Things are starting to look up.
Also adopting a plan that will make public colleges and universities tuition-free for students with families making less than $125k a year

Biden looks so much better in this format without having to fight through the riff-raff of 10 other candidates.

Bernie is doing his normal thing. You either like it or you don't.

Both of these guys are stretching the truth with their attacks, and both have some pretty bad votes in their past. But either would be better than the incumbent.

Fucking student loans, that's all I have got to say.

After being being in default in 2015 when I was laid off of never caught back up to being current. I did get it out of default for awhile, but when the graduated repayment plan kicked in and all the sudden my monthly payment was $1200 a month I could not afford to make it in full with my rent being $1800+ a month.

I continued to give them the previous monthly amount because it was all I could do. This caused my loans to go back in default last year.

Trying to workout a repayment plan with them is impossible. I tell them what my finances are, and they say based on your income this is how much you should pay a month. They don't take that I live in a high rent area into consideration at all. Because I can't agree to their terms of how much I should pay back because I can't afford to therefor I'm categorized as not in good faith trying to pay off my student loans.

This has resulted in the Department of Education seizing my entire tax return this year.

Also one other rant student loan based that I have posted here before.

I graduated with 55k in student loan debt. Today I owe 89k.

How? During the recession I used forbearance. Income Based Repayment plan which didn't even cover my interest. And then the graduated repayment plan which the first couple years only covered interest and not principal.

All my student loan fallout was in the late nineties so it may well be different now. My post default strategy was to not pay shit until the whole thing was turned over to collections where I found a considerable amount of negotiating power. I recall, for a couple years all I paid was $50/mo and no interest ever accrued.

Fucking student loans, that's all I have got to say.

After being being in default in 2015 when I was laid off of never caught back up to being current. I did get it out of default for awhile, but when the graduated repayment plan kicked in and all the sudden my monthly payment was $1200 a month I could not afford to make it in full with my rent being $1800+ a month.

I continued to give them the previous monthly amount because it was all I could do. This caused my loans to go back in default last year.

Trying to workout a repayment plan with them is impossible. I tell them what my finances are, and they say based on your income this is how much you should pay a month. They don't take that I live in a high rent area into consideration at all. Because I can't agree to their terms of how much I should pay back because I can't afford to therefor I'm categorized as not in good faith trying to pay off my student loans.

This has resulted in the Department of Education seizing my entire tax return this year.
holy shit. $1200 a month is absolutely bonkers. I'm fortunate mine is slightly manageable ($200/month)

Also one other rant student loan based that I have posted here before.

I graduated with 55k in student loan debt. Today I owe 89k.

How? During the recession I used forbearance. Income Based Repayment plan which didn't even cover my interest. And then the graduated repayment plan which the first couple years only covered interest and not principal.
As in you still have 89k to pay off or the entirety over the life of the loan is now 89k? Was this just for undergrad? Ridiculous either way, as I'm assuming you've been out of college coming up on 10+ years now.

I finished paying my portion of my undergrad loans last year, but am thankful that my parents helped me out as well. This is the case for my wife, too. Our parents aren't millionaires, but they realized how crippling loans were going to be for us out of college and it'd be easier for us to pay them back vs. paying the banks back with added interest.

As in you still have 89k to pay off or the entirety over the life of the loan is now 89k? Was this just for undergrad? Ridiculous either way, as I'm assuming you've been out of college coming up on 10+ years now.

I finished paying my portion of my undergrad loans last year, but am thankful that my parents helped me out as well. This is the case for my wife, too. Our parents aren't millionaires, but they realized how crippling loans were going to be for us out of college and it'd be easier for us to pay them back vs. paying the banks back with added interest.

As in I still have 89k to pay off. By making minimum payments I would have to pay roughly $170,000 from now through the life of the loan.

Absolutely crazy.

Yes, it was just for undergraduate. And I graduated in 2008 so like 12 years ago.

As in I still have 89k to pay off. By making minimum payments I would have to pay roughly $170,000 from now through the life of the loan.

Absolutely crazy.

Yes, it was just for undergraduate. And I graduated in 2008 so like 12 years ago.
You are not alone. I have been paying these off since 2001. I still owe more than I left school with. It is fucking ridiculous.

This is literally cracking open my coconut. Is it because the interest rates are astronomical or is it the same forbearance issue that @RenegadeMonster mentioned?

People who have never used Forbearance and have never missed a payment can owe more today than they graduated. There was a viral twitter thread about it this past December.

What happened is for most of us who have this issue is we used either the graduated repayment program or the income based repayment program.

With the graduated repayment program only interest was covered, so people are finding they still owe the same today as they did when they graduated.

Such as one tweet I remember from a girl who graduated with 80k in student loan debt. To date has paid over 120k towards her student loans. Guess what she owes today. 80k.

The income based repayment program often resulted in peoples payment not even covering interest, so their loans grew all while they were making payments. I did this when I was working retail management during the recession.

As for interest rates, they are awful. Mine are around 5.35%. They are variable rate interest. They were lower 10 years ago in the low to mid 3% range, but that's where they are at today.

I know people taking out student loans today are getting around 7%.

Back