Pioneer PLX 1000 Questions

Yeah I thought I was good at 3ish but gonna have double check. Read online somebody else say 5ish on 2 tracking force.
Took next Friday off work, hoping I get to go to a place that will let me check out both AT VM540ML and AT VM95ML see what I like.

Did mine last night right by 5. Didnt notice much sound improvement outside when I drop the needle easier to play song from start.

Did mine last night right by 5. Didnt notice much sound improvement outside when I drop the needle easier to play song from start.
I wouldn't expect huge changes in the sound, it also depends on the album/grooves as well. BUT, at least you know the stylus is running the groove correctly and not pulling to the inside.

I adjusted mine because I couldn't get a clean needle drop, and while I am 55, I didn't think my hands were quite that shaky, lol

So for those of you that have/had one of these what are your thoughts as an upgrade from the Uturn. Substantial enough to be worthwhile? Ok with Grado cartridges? And where to buy, none of the familiar dealers seem to carry it?
@Dylanfan253 , we have similar setups, what was your experience?

So for those of you that have/had one of these what are your thoughts as an upgrade from the Uturn. Substantial enough to be worthwhile? Ok with Grado cartridges? And where to buy, none of the familiar dealers seem to carry it?
It’s a direct drive, not belt driven. I don’t ever notice a motor rumble, but belt-diehards claim it’s a thing. In terms of difference, simply, it’s a tank. It’s damn near 30 pounds and could probably take a bullet. I owned a Technics before this and will confidently say it will hang. Wow and flutter tolerances every time I’ve tested mine have been well below the stated specs.

Gotta be careful with the Grados because of motor placement, but not like there aren’t a pile of great cart manufacturers out there.

Couple things to be aware of - it’s patterned after a DJ table, not an audiophile machine (hence it weighing a ton). So it takes some minor tweaking to push it over the line - as discussed here in the past, the @HiFi Guy SS package (replace the headshell and add tonearm damper) as well as a decent mat are must haves.

Since you’re not using the Giant Pile Of Mats, you’ll have to futz with the VTA (not the end of the world) and in my experience, it doesn’t love low-rider carts. Or maybe I just don’t love them.

I feel like it’s a solid step up from the Uturn, but at the same time feel like you could add a lot of bells and whistles to a Uturn too, so there’s that argument too, I suppose.

Music Direct carries the PLX-1000. I highly recommend them.
Turntable Lab also sells it. And, I think some persons were able to buy it with a coupon at Musician's Friend or Guitar Center.

It’s a direct drive, not belt driven. I don’t ever notice a motor rumble, but belt-diehards claim it’s a thing. In terms of difference, simply, it’s a tank. It’s damn near 30 pounds and could probably take a bullet. I owned a Technics before this and will confidently say it will hang. Wow and flutter tolerances every time I’ve tested mine have been well below the stated specs.

Gotta be careful with the Grados because of motor placement, but not like there aren’t a pile of great cart manufacturers out there.

Couple things to be aware of - it’s patterned after a DJ table, not an audiophile machine (hence it weighing a ton). So it takes some minor tweaking to push it over the line - as discussed here in the past, the @HiFi Guy SS package (replace the headshell and add tonearm damper) as well as a decent mat are must haves.

Since you’re not using the Giant Pile Of Mats, you’ll have to futz with the VTA (not the end of the world) and in my experience, it doesn’t love low-rider carts. Or maybe I just don’t love them.

I feel like it’s a solid step up from the Uturn, but at the same time feel like you could add a lot of bells and whistles to a Uturn too, so there’s that argument too, I suppose.
I’m kinda stuck on the DD tables as an upgrade simply cos I hate messing with the belt on the Uturn. On the other hand, I’m not going to do it just for that. What kind of bells and whistles are thinking for the Uturn?

I’m kinda stuck on the DD tables as an upgrade simply cos I hate messing with the belt on the Uturn. On the other hand, I’m not going to do it just for that. What kind of bells and whistles are thinking for the Uturn?
Well, a base model PLX1000 is going to run you $550 on its best day (wait for the coupon) and that’s before you stack the extra few hundred for the upgrades and cart. Depending what you’ve got shakin’ on your Uturn, $550 buys some tack (preamps, carts, platter upgrades, etc) if you’re looking for instant gratification. Just the act of going from one to the other, unless your Uturn is base model/no tricks the sound difference isn’t going to blow your doors off. That said, I think it’s got longer legs and presents more/better upgradeability down the road.

Well, a base model PLX1000 is going to run you $550 on its best day (wait for the coupon) and that’s before you stack the extra few hundred for the upgrades and cart. Depending what you’ve got shakin’ on your Uturn, $550 buys some tack (preamps, carts, platter upgrades, etc) if you’re looking for instant gratification. Just the act of going from one to the other, unless your Uturn is base model/no tricks the sound difference isn’t going to blow your doors off. That said, I think it’s got longer legs and presents more/better upgradeability down the road.
Got it. I already have those goodies on mine. Maybe I should just go up to the Technics 1200 GR. 1K difference in price but probably end game for me. I found a nice comparison post over on SHF.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018

Got it. I already have those goodies on mine. Maybe I should just go up to the Technics 1200 GR. 1K difference in price but probably end game for me. I found a nice comparison post over on SHF.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018

As much as I like the PLX-1000, I’d prefer the Technics. You can get them for $1350 or so. You’d still want the head shell and tonearm damper upgrades though.

As much as I like the PLX-1000, I’d prefer the Technics. You can get them for $1350 or so. You’d still want the head shell and tonearm damper upgrades though.
Where are folks getting them for that price? I looked around for coupons to Guitar Center to no avail.

Wow! You're the best. Thank you!
I lost track of which deck you decided on, PLX or Tech, but you can always keep an eye on Reverb as well.........I've noticed the occasional blow out for a day or so. Before I was ready to buy I did see the PLX drop down to $550 on occasion.

Back