Pioneer PLX 1000 Questions

Haimez40

With the PLX1000 a popular choice and recommendation on the forum figured I would start a thread.

Looking into a new cartridge and ordered a Jelco HS20 headshell. Doing some research realized the manual says 54" overhang and I believe mine is set to 52" Technics standard.

What do my fellow PLX1000 owners use to align their new cartridges with? If 52" works roll with it or should I use a specific protractor or over hang gauge towards 54" a suggestion? I have my assumptions but was curious on others opinions.

Looking into a new cartridge and ordered a Jelco HS20 headshell. Doing some research realized the manual says 54" overhang and I believe mine is set to 52" Technics standard.

What do my fellow PLX1000 owners use to align their new cartridges with? If 52" works roll with it or should I use a specific protractor or over hang gauge towards 54" a suggestion? I have my assumptions but was curious on others opinions.

I used a MoFi Geo Disc with mine. Worked great.

Ok I’m going to try that when I align the AT cart when it arrives later, I had noticed that the supplied felt mat was quite thin in comparison to the Hudson acrylic mat so I raised the arm as the stylus seemed to be perceivably dragging on the tail side.

Still very satisfied with the table so far and thankful that everyone here led me in this direction, I really don’t think I would have been happier with the technics at this point as they are so different then my orbit that any differences between the pioneer and technics would be indiscernible.

The Technics measurement would be accurate if the Pioneer’s tonearm is the same length without the headshell, the same distance from pivot to spindle, the same offset angle, and the same intended null points. That’s a lot to assume is the same unless the design team precisely copied the Technics geometry.

When I had the PLX I set it using the recommended setup in the manual. Sounded great..

What are people's experiences with anti skate on the PLX? I realize every cart could be different but still curious. Have read conflicting info online. My current cart has 1.8 tracking force and have anti skate around 3. Some people online suggest 1 is actually 0. Anybody else notice this?
With "blank disc" method what are good cheap ones I can find? I'm assuming just test on acrylic plaster would wear stylus pretty fast but saw that suggested too.

What are people's experiences with anti skate on the PLX? I realize every cart could be different but still curious. Have read conflicting info online. My current cart has 1.8 tracking force and have anti skate around 3. Some people online suggest 1 is actually 0. Anybody else notice this?
With "blank disc" method what are good cheap ones I can find? I'm assuming just test on acrylic plaster would wear stylus pretty fast but saw that suggested too.

The anti skate spring is weak in these. You’ll end up with a high number indicated on the dial. It still works though.

Don’t use a blank record to set anti skate. Get any album with a large dead wax. Set the anti skate so the arm moves towards the label as slowly as possible while it’s in the dead wax.

The anti skate spring is weak in these. You’ll end up with a high number indicated on the dial. It still works though.

Don’t use a blank record to set anti skate. Get any album with a large dead wax. Set the anti skate so the arm moves towards the label as slowly as possible while it’s in the dead wax.
I know you no longer have this table but by chance was yours one off or double the VTF when you adjusted it? If you remember, I know varies cart to cart.

Back