Pioneer PLX 1000 Questions

It’s a direct drive, not belt driven. I don’t ever notice a motor rumble, but belt-diehards claim it’s a thing. In terms of difference, simply, it’s a tank. It’s damn near 30 pounds and could probably take a bullet. I owned a Technics before this and will confidently say it will hang. Wow and flutter tolerances every time I’ve tested mine have been well below the stated specs.

Gotta be careful with the Grados because of motor placement, but not like there aren’t a pile of great cart manufacturers out there.

Couple things to be aware of - it’s patterned after a DJ table, not an audiophile machine (hence it weighing a ton). So it takes some minor tweaking to push it over the line - as discussed here in the past, the @HiFi Guy SS package (replace the headshell and add tonearm damper) as well as a decent mat are must haves.

Since you’re not using the Giant Pile Of Mats, you’ll have to futz with the VTA (not the end of the world) and in my experience, it doesn’t love low-rider carts. Or maybe I just don’t love them.

I feel like it’s a solid step up from the Uturn, but at the same time feel like you could add a lot of bells and whistles to a Uturn too, so there’s that argument too, I suppose.

I also found the step up noticeable.. it was also a door into wanting more and more.. rabbit hole ya know...

So, can of worms time and I understand that I am inviting opinions only. A basically 1K difference in price is a hunk of change so whilst I can afford either table I’m also careful with my money.
Pro for the Plx is obviously price.
Negative is build quality/ tone arm issue possibly.
I have a Grado gold cartridge and am a little concerned about fit/hum maybe.
New cartridge would add to price.
From what research I have done I probably won’t notice sound quality differences from the Technics based on my current equipment. I do plan to upgrade the preamp and acquire a headphone amp at some point. 1K range.
If I did that, would there be a discernible difference then?

I’m leaning PLX based on the above having now written it out but want to future proof somewhat. What do you guys think?

So, can of worms time and I understand that I am inviting opinions only. A basically 1K difference in price is a hunk of change so whilst I can afford either table I’m also careful with my money.
Pro for the Plx is obviously price.
Negative is build quality/ tone arm issue possibly.
I have a Grado gold cartridge and am a little concerned about fit/hum maybe.
New cartridge would add to price.
From what research I have done I probably won’t notice sound quality differences from the Technics based on my current equipment. I do plan to upgrade the preamp and acquire a headphone amp at some point. 1K range.
If I did that, would there be a discernible difference then?

I’m leaning PLX based on the above having now written it out but want to future proof somewhat. What do you guys think?

If the arm bearings are loose, it’s an easy fix. It’ll take you longer to find a screwdriver than it will to make the adjustment. I can walk you though it by phone if necessary.

You won’t get hum using a Grado on either table.

You won’t likely hear a difference between the Pioneer and Technics.

The Technics has a superior motor.

Given that they will sound very similar, the Pioneer is a better value. The Technics has a better motor and is built to a higher standard.

If you really want the Technics, get it. You’ll be unhappy with the Pioneer otherwise. But don’t feel like you are missing much if you go with the Pioneer.

Music Direct $599. I’d call them to save the shipping.

I went directly to Music Directs website and they have that table for $599 (ex dem) reduced from $850 right next to a new one for $699 and I can’t see any difference between the 2 tables! Am I missing something?

I went directly to Music Directs website and they have that table for $599 (ex dem) reduced from $850 right next to a new one for $699 and I can’t see any difference between the 2 tables! Am I missing something?

Difference is $100.. lol Otherwise, no difference other than they used the one as a demo..

To get $599 new (Reverb price) you’d have to call.

That said, I’ve seen MD ship new unopened gear at the demo price.

I'd keep in mind that the Reverb site also says "This seller is open to offers." I'd call and mention that, and maybe say $550 with free shipping and see what they say. Worst thing that happens is they say no.

Alrighty. I’ve joined the Pioneer club! Talked to Brian @MD, very helpful fella. New PLX1000 $650. Free shipping, no tax. The demo probably would have been fine but decided to get the new one for the extra $50.
This weekend will be all about moving gear around and getting it’s spot ready.
Thanks for everyone’s help 👏 I’ll keep you all updated.

Alrighty. I’ve joined the Pioneer club! Talked to Brian @MD, very helpful fella. New PLX1000 $650. Free shipping, no tax. The demo probably would have been fine but decided to get the new one for the extra $50.
Gratz 😎👍

Congrats! It's a fun table.. enjoy it!!

Sweet! 😁 I’m so glad I made the switch. Definite change in sonics. Bass is much more defined. Dead silent even with the volume up. Separation of instruments. Just more definition all around, less mud. Even noisy records are quieter!
Moving everything around was pita. Doesn’t fit how I wanted so had to improvise. I have noticed when walking around that I’m getting some floor bounce. Would isolating the table somehow help with that? I only noticed it as it was spinning in the dead wax.

Sweet! 😁 I’m so glad I made the switch. Definite change in sonics. Bass is much more defined. Dead silent even with the volume up. Separation of instruments. Just more definition all around, less mud. Even noisy records are quieter!
Moving everything around was pita. Doesn’t fit how I wanted so had to improvise. I have noticed when walking around that I’m getting some floor bounce. Would isolating the table somehow help with that? I only noticed it as it was spinning in the dead wax.

A slab of marble or granite underneath couldn’t hurt.

A slab of marble or granite underneath couldn’t hurt.

A thick maple cutting board works well too. Really, anything that's stable and dense should do the trick.

Back