Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

These carts become so tempting and I'm pretty confident they deliver in spades at that price point, but as into all this as I am, it's still a hard sell dropping that kind of money on a cart for me. While I know there are better options than the more "Entry Level" carts I've been sampling on the PLX, there has to be a happy medium.......for me anyway, lol.

The Denon is a wonderful cart, but I still think there's room to move up the ladder a bit more with a return on investment so to speak, I just don't think it will ever hit $1000+.........again, for me ;)

These carts become so tempting and I'm pretty confident they deliver in spades at that price point, but as into all this as I am, it's still a hard sell dropping that kind of money on a cart for me. While I know there are better options than the more "Entry Level" carts I've been sampling on the PLX, there has to be a happy medium.......for me anyway, lol.

The Denon is a wonderful cart, but I still think there's room to move up the ladder a bit more with a return on investment so to speak, I just don't think it will ever hit $1000+.........again, for me ;)

I couldn’t see myself hitting 1000 and then paying 80% every year for a new one on exchange. I could potentially see myself put down even more than that upfront if the retip fee was reasonable like soundsmith. As it is I don’t think my turntable warrants that level of investment but that’s where my thinking would be if it did.

I couldn’t see myself hitting 1000 and then paying 80% every year for a new one on exchange. I could potentially see myself put down even more than that upfront if the retip fee was reasonable like soundsmith. As it is I don’t think my turntable warrants that level of investment but that’s where my thinking would be if it did.
I've always put my budget at around $500-ish every 12-18 months, so there are some options in that range. Currently the Denon is my front runner, but the re-tip/exchange options is a little up in the air. While just replacing the Denon flat out every time is still in my budget, I'd prefer to save a little on a "better" option. That's where the Hana SL sits at the moment, at $640 for the initial outlay and $525 on re-tip/exchange it's acceptable.

I've always put my budget at around $500-ish every 12-18 months, so there are some options in that range. Currently the Denon is my front runner, but the re-tip/exchange options is a little up in the air. While just replacing the Denon flat out every time is still in my budget, I'd prefer to save a little on a "better" option. That's where the Hana SL sits at the moment, at $640 for the initial outlay and $525 on re-tip/exchange it's acceptable.

Yeah I mean I’m likely to max out at the AT I’m planning on this time OC9-XML, or a Sonata3 maybe as next years trial, but that’s as far as I could see me going. With a better table that Zepher MIMC would be very tempting especially as it’s a save big once and then $300ish a year!

Last edited:
That was my rationalization for the Soundsmith.

Okay, I’ve got some time today. Any requests for needle drops on the Grado before I swap it out?

Back