Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

I saw this article today when looking at the manufacturer’s phono amplifiers. It’s a different perspective on cartridge upgrades than I’ve heard before, but correlates with my recent analog upgrade experiences.

Kind of basic, and a generalization. The Denon DL-110 is an inexpensive high output MC that sounds really good.

Kind of basic, and a generalization. The Denon DL-110 is an inexpensive high output MC that sounds really good.
My key takeaways were:

- You don’t have to go to a MC to get great performance from a cartridge.
- A better table and arm with a less expensive cartridge can outperform a more expensive cartridge on a lesser table and arm.

Wasn't sure where else to post this--

I have a Technics 1200, Sumiko Olympia set up.

I had a long night with an old friend who was in town. We woke up this morning on 4 hiurs of sleep and spun some records while cooking and eating breakfast at around 10:30 am. After they left I took a long nap and woke up at 4... and realized my needle was still dropped and spinning.

Back when I was new to records, I had a Project Debut with and Ortafan Red and would fall asleep with the table on all the time, no issue. However, these Sumiko Olympias are not nearly as durable as previous needles I've used. I've broken two of them in the past year which never happened even with the Suniko Rainers much less the Reds.

Anyways, I switched out records and did a test spin and was getting a LOT of static and pops and clicks I don't think were actually on the record. I then switched on my spare stylus and the excess noise went away.

Would you presume the stylus I left dropped is bunk or could it just be static build up?

I still think Goldring doesn't get enough attention, but here's something new.

Here in the States, it was $999, then $1380 and now $1500.

Seriously, don’t discount a Grado woody. When mine is worn, I’ll get another. It’s that good.

When does your VPI arrive?
I'm not entirely sure, likely in the next two weeks? And yes I'm taking the Grado suggestion to heart for sure. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to go at this point. The new stage opens up most of the Soundsmith carts for me as well. So I'm kinda just looking around. I need to get some quotes on exactly how much I have to pay to rebuild or replace the various MC's internationally. It's probably going to come down to that to a degree. How much I can stomach to pay every 1000 hours.

So I'm kinda just looking around. I need to get some quotes on exactly how much I have to pay to rebuild or replace the various MC's internationally. It's probably going to come down to that to a degree. How much I can stomach to pay every 1000 hours.
Don’t jump the gun. You may find that you enjoy the Ortofon 2M Black more on the new table than on the old one. That was certainly the case for me with the Nagaoka MP300.

Don’t jump the gun. You may find that you enjoy the Ortofon 2M Black more on the new table than on the old one. That was certainly the case for me with the Nagaoka MP300.
Oh for sure, I really do like the cart and I'm curious to see the difference. But I've never heard a MC so I have to try one out at some point. But there's no real hurry. I still have quite a few hours left on this one...

Oh for sure, I really do like the cart and I'm curious to see the difference. But I've never heard a MC so I have to try one out at some point. But there's no real hurry. I still have quite a few hours left on this one...

If you like the black maybe the quintet black s isn’t a bad shout either. MC and the sapphire cantilever and nude shiabata would be a jump from the black. It’s one that’s on my shortlist for the future!

Also obligatory shout out to the Hana SL because damn do I love this thing.

Back