Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Less then 10 minutes. The Technics jig gets you 80-90% there and then you just finely tune it with the protractor.
That’s promising. My Luxman did not come with a jig or protractor, so I’ve been using the GeoDisc. The results have been very good, but a custom protractor might be even better.

That’s promising. My Luxman did not come with a jig or protractor, so I’ve been using the GeoDisc. The results have been very good, but a custom protractor might be even better.
Most definitely. A quality protractor will get you closer to geometrical “perfection”. The GeoDisc has always struck me as a stab at accuracy requiring a guess on the user’s part to determine where the exact center of the tonearm pivot point is. A good protractor eliminates that guess work. One less thing to worry about.

I recently switched from my AT-VM95SH to an Ortofon 2M Blue. I spent quite a bit of time dialing it in to ensure the alignment was spot-on and the results are very nice indeed. It's an excellent tracker with no noticeable IGD. Even though it's a nude elliptical, sometimes I think I'm getting more music retrieval than the Shibata stylus. I've also noticed that the 5.5mV output meshes better with my Darlington Labs MM5 phono stage versus the AT-VM95SH 3.5 mV output. Overall I think 2M Blue was a step up from the VM95SH.

IMG_6083.jpeg

Most definitely. A quality protractor will get you closer to geometrical “perfection”. The GeoDisc has always struck me as a stab at accuracy requiring a guess on the user’s part to determine where the exact center of the tonearm pivot point is. A good protractor eliminates that guess work. One less thing to worry about.
I'm missing out right now because Luxman does not publish specs for the offset angle of the tonearm. If I can wriggle it out of them, I'll get a protractor made.

My favourite and beloved for the last 6 months: AT-OC9XML.
The worst one: Grado F-1+
Grados don’t work well in every system or on every turntable. You almost have to know you like Grados and design your setup around that. The good news is a system that can successfully run a Grado can successfully run other cartridges. It’s not necessarily true the other way around.

Grados don’t work well in every system or on every turntable. You almost have to know you like Grados and design your setup around that. The good news is a system that can successfully run a Grado can successfully run other cartridges. It’s not necessarily true the other way around.
100%. I didn't get Grados at all until I had a system that complimented them!

I had the Ortofon Quintet Black S collecting dust while I was racking up hours on my Grado Reference3. I figured I’d swap over to the Ortofon and give the Grado a break. I also realized I’d never tried the Ortofon since the Technics G arrived.

The Ortofon is a real winner. First, it’s dead quiet. No hum, hiss, hash or any other nasties. The Grado, as much as I like it can’t come close. And that’s even with more gain on the Ortofon- 58 dB gain for its .3 mV output vs 52 dB gain for the 1 mV Grado. Sound quality wise- the Ortofon is actually warm sounding, something I’d usually never say about an Ortofon. My Grado days may be over. I may actually buy an Ortofon Quintet Mono.

On a side note, I’ve had my 1210G for a year already. I still absolutely love it. The only thing that’s made me itchy is the thought of a Garrard 301 or 401 like the 401 that @Russ I recently got.

Maybe one day. Maybe not.

IMG_2276.jpeg

"My Grado days may be over."

OMG YOU GUYS WE HAVE A CODE RED, SOMEONE HAS KIDNAPPED HIFIGUY AND REPLACED HIM WITH AN IMPOSTER. IF YOU CAN SEE THIS HIFIGUY, JUST BANG ON SOME POTS AND PANS OR MAYBE LIKE MAKE LOUD BIRD NOISES OR SOMETHING, I DON'T KNOW. YOU HANG IN THERE, WE WILL FIND YOU.

I had the Ortofon Quintet Black S collecting dust while I was racking up hours on my Grado Reference3. I figured I’d swap over to the Ortofon and give the Grado a break. I also realized I’d never tried the Ortofon since the Technics G arrived.

The Ortofon is a real winner. First, it’s dead quiet. No hum, hiss, hash or any other nasties. The Grado, as much as I like it can’t come close. And that’s even with more gain on the Ortofon- 58 dB gain for its .3 mV output vs 52 dB gain for the 1 mV Grado. Sound quality wise- the Ortofon is actually warm sounding, something I’d usually never say about an Ortofon. My Grado days may be over. I may actually buy an Ortofon Quintet Mono.

On a side note, I’ve had my 1210G for a year already. I still absolutely love it. The only thing that’s made me itchy is the thought of a Garrard 301 or 401 like the 401 that @Russ I recently got.

View attachment 175137
What alignment tool are you using now? I read that you sold the Feickert jig.

View attachment 175137

Nice! Bet you’re glad you didn’t sell it to me now! Although I’m quietly kicking myself that I couldn’t afford it!

I’ve got a loaner phono stage in house for a while, so all 3 cartridges I have on hand will get used with it.

I’m revisiting my retipped/upgraded Grado Gold3. I’ve upped the tracking force to 1.75 grams for better tracking. I have to say- it’s impressive. Are the others here better? Yes, but my upgraded Grado comes in around $560 (figuring wearing out the factory stylus- so I’m deducting the cost of that from the original cost of the cartridge.) The others are $1095 and $1500.

You’d think I’d feel like I am taking a hit performance wise. I don’t. I am enjoying the hotrodded Gold3 on its own merits, without concern for the other 2. It sounds quite good.

"My Grado days may be over."

OMG YOU GUYS WE HAVE A CODE RED, SOMEONE HAS KIDNAPPED HIFIGUY AND REPLACED HIM WITH AN IMPOSTER. IF YOU CAN SEE THIS HIFIGUY, JUST BANG ON SOME POTS AND PANS OR MAYBE LIKE MAKE LOUD BIRD NOISES OR SOMETHING, I DON'T KNOW. YOU HANG IN THERE, WE WILL FIND YOU.
If I go from Grado to Ort, you may have something there.

Back