Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

My only complaint is the price seems to keep climbing. Replace the stylus is sitting at like $400, assuming it’s in stock.
Try Juno Records in the UK. The UK price w/o VAT is considerably cheaper:
And take advantage of their offer to "Click for a better price!" They'll give you a code for an additional discount.

And we're off, I might have to look at the VTA again, it was dead on when I set it up, but unless it's just the angle, it looks like it's riding a little low on the back end..........and with this low clearance I don't want to have it dragging. I gotta admit the color matching going on gives it a nice aesthetic ;)
Quintet_Bronze.jpg

Last edited:
Long overdue, I've really become a big fan of Goldring over the last year :)

Goldring 1042 (MM)

There are times when I find myself lacking in good descriptors and end up with “It’s just right”, I found myself in that situation with the Goldring 1042, it’s also the first cart that really made me think about its place among carts with a similar price point.

Goldring-G1042.jpg

The 1042 is nicely detailed, the bass is deep and smooth without being overly “heavy” and the high end never came across as shrill or harsh. It has an overall pleasing relaxed delivery making listening sessions go on for hours without much fatigue. The soundstage gives amazing life to jazz music, each instrument comes across with very accurate tonal clarity and well positioned within the track. Listening to some Dave Brubeck you could close your eyes and place him on the piano set back in the recording session and off to one side. Classical music is stunning with strings just coming to life, with the music filling your listening space with both rich and full sound. Singer songwriters’ voices were amazingly accurate and smooth, snares and percussion were superbly accurate, but also well placed depending on the quality of the recording/pressing. Classic Rock, Alt Rock, Indy and everything in between fell perfectly into place sonically without much effort, everything I listened to over the 70+ hours with this cart was pleasing to the ears.

The 1042 is an amazing tracker, doesn’t miss a beat across both new and “well loved” vinyl, over both I didn’t find it struggling at all with any of my pressings. The noise floor is exceptionally low while retaining detail. Effortless is a good word to use when it comes to the 1042, I really found myself just sitting back and enjoying the music, not being distracted by “observation”, is this to hot, too warm, too bright, it was well balanced tonally and………just right. Let’s be clear though, there is no magic cart that will make poor pressing or mastering sound better than they are, so keep things in the proper perspective.

Goldring-G1042_B.jpg

I think the thing that really struck a chord with me was where this cart fits, who would enjoy this cart, who needs this cart and why. In a sea of so many choices I came to the following “opinions”. If you have a moderate system running an “entry level” cart and have wanted to make big jumps into “high end”, even possibly into moving coil territory, but just can’t, or don’t want, to spend the money, let me offer this explanation while you reflect on the prowess of the 1042. I’ve found over time that I do enjoy MC carts but have also found that the real meat of the MC universe is a little beyond the entry level MC offerings. The other wrinkle to the MC universe is gear, you can’t toss an MC cart into just any system, it has pre-requisites that usually come with added expense. All that being said, I can see putting a 1042 into “most” systems and calling it a day. If you’re not one who gets the “itch” when it comes to cartridges you are most likely set for a good long time to just enjoy music as its presented sublimely to your ears.

The 1042 really sits at that doorway, it can bring you to that peak if you will and deliver an amazing experience. It’s not entry level, but it sits at an appealing price point when you take into consideration what it brings to the table audibly, which is fantastic, and your cost of use over time. Having a user replaceable stylus is a big plug and play plus for many users who don’t want the hassle of waiting for a replacement, retip or exchange.

I really like the 1042, not because it comes across as a“catch all” so to speak, but because it’s a wonderful sounding cart with a lot to offer, not only to your system, but your pocketbook. Make no mistake, it’s not a band aid, it is a wonderful solution for a lot of people who enjoy vinyl and want to get the most out of it without breaking the bank, I would also say that the 1042 is a great upgrade over going into entry level MC territory, again, if you want the most from your system without opening up that upgrade can of worms we so often get caught in, in this hobby.

I’ve really become a big fan of Goldring cartridges, starting with the E3, and can recommend the Goldring 1042 to anyone looking for more out of their gear and vinyl, regardless of where you sit on the upgrade path, the 1042 is well worth consideration.

On some company news, Goldring now has an official US Distributor in Fidelity Imports for its cartridges as well as Goldring’s line of record care products.

Last edited:

Goldring G1042 (MM)

There are times when I find myself lacking in good descriptors and end up with “It’s just right”, I found myself in that situation with the Goldring G1042, it’s also the first cart that really made me think about its place among carts with a similar price point.

View attachment 107987

The G1042 is nicely detailed, the bass is deep and smooth without being overly “heavy” and the high end never came across as shrill or harsh. It has an overall pleasing relaxed delivery making listening sessions go on for hours without much fatigue. The soundstage gives amazing life to jazz music, each instrument comes across with very accurate tonal clarity and well positioned within the track. Listening to some Dave Brubeck you could close your eyes and place him on the piano set back in the recording session and off to one side. Classical music is stunning with strings just coming to life, with the music filling your listening space with both rich and full sound. Singer songwriters’ voices were amazingly accurate and smooth, snares and percussion were superbly accurate, but also well placed depending on the quality of the recording/pressing. Classic Rock, Alt Rock, Indy and everything in between fell perfectly into place sonically without much effort, everything I listened to over the 70+ hours with this cart was pleasing to the ears.

The G1042 is an amazing tracker, doesn’t miss a beat across both new and “well loved” vinyl, over both I didn’t find it struggling at all with any of my pressings. The noise floor is exceptionally low while retaining detail. Effortless is a good word to use when it comes to the G1042, I really found myself just sitting back and enjoying the music, not being distracted by “observation”, is this to hot, too warm, too bright, it was well balanced tonally and………just right. Let’s be clear though, there is no magic cart that will make poor pressing or mastering sound better than they are, so keep things in the proper perspective.

View attachment 107988

I think the thing that really struck a chord with me was where this cart fits, who would enjoy this cart, who needs this cart and why. In a sea of so many choices I came to the following “opinions”. If you have a moderate system running an “entry level” cart and have wanted to make big jumps into “high end”, even possibly into moving coil territory, but just can’t, or don’t want, to spend the money, let me offer this explanation while you reflect on the prowess of the G1042. I’ve found over time that I do enjoy MC carts but have also found that the real meat of the MC universe is a little beyond the entry level MC offerings. The other wrinkle to the MC universe is gear, you can’t toss an MC cart into just any system, it has pre-requisites that usually come with added expense. All that being said, I can see putting a G1042 into “most” systems and calling it a day. If you’re not one who gets the “itch” when it comes to cartridges you are most likely set for a good long time to just enjoy music as its presented sublimely to your ears.

The G1042 really sits at that doorway, it can bring you to that peak if you will and deliver an amazing experience. It’s not entry level, but it sits at an appealing price point when you take into consideration what it brings to the table audibly, which is fantastic, and your cost of use over time. Having a user replaceable stylus is a big plug and play plus for many users who don’t want the hassle of waiting for a replacement, retip or exchange.

I really like the G1042, not because it comes across as a“catch all” so to speak, but because it’s a wonderful sounding cart with a lot to offer, not only to your system, but your pocketbook. Make no mistake, it’s not a band aid, it is a wonderful solution for a lot of people who enjoy vinyl and want to get the most out of it without breaking the bank, I would also say that the G1042 is a great upgrade over going into entry level MC territory, again, if you want the most from your system without opening up that upgrade can of worms we so often get caught in, in this hobby.

I’ve really become a big fan of Goldring cartridges, starting with the E3, and can recommend the G1042 to anyone looking for more out of their gear and vinyl, regardless of where you sit on the upgrade path, the G1042 is well worth consideration.

On some company news, Goldring now has an official US Distributor in Fidelity Imports for its cartridges as well as Goldring’s line of record care products.

Do you think this is comparable to the MasterTracker?

Do you think this is comparable to the MasterTracker?
I still have my MasterTracker and I like the cart a lot. I'll put it this way, in the current market the MasterTracker would not be on my list of carts to pursue, for nothing else based on price and the non replaceable stylus, there are better options. On top of that, the "bang for your buck" isn't there, the MT is not that much better than the G1042, it's not going to make you go, wow, what a difference. I find the G1042 has a more pleasing sound to it. All just my opinions of course ;)

I still have my MasterTracker and I like the cart a lot. I'll put it this way, in the current market the MasterTracker would not be on my list of carts to pursue, for nothing else based on price and the non replaceable stylus, there are better options. On top of that, the "bang for your buck" isn't there, the MT is not that much better than the G1042, it's not going to make you go, wow, what a difference. I find the G1042 has a more pleasing sound to it. All just my opinions of course ;)

How are you finding the Hana SL? You’ve still got that on your mofi don’t you? I’ve still not mounted mine because there’s still some life in my Opus. Looking forward to hearing it eventually though!

This is good to know. I’m just taking info in for when I do replace the MT because I’d like to get a cart that I can replace the stylus on. Haven’t thought about moving up to a MC cart.

How are you finding the Hana SL? You’ve still got that on your mofi don’t you? I’ve still not mounted mine because there’s still some life in my Opus. Looking forward to hearing it eventually though!
The Hana's been fantastic, it's my favorite cart to date and "probably" my long term cart. This is the first time a sample cart ended up on my UD, so for now we're spinning the Quintet Bronze, which kind of scares me because I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a cart/replacement on a regular basis. We'll see if the bump in price is worth it after getting some miles on the Ortofon ;)

..........on a side note @Joe Mac, consider setting the Hana to 800 ohms when you get to it, it does wonders for the sound and on the Linton's ;)

The Hana's been fantastic, it's my favorite cart to date and "probably" my long term cart. This is the first time a sample cart ended up on my UD, so for now we're spinning the Quintet Bronze, which kind of scares me because I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a cart/replacement on a regular basis. We'll see if the bump in price is worth it after getting some miles on the Ortofon ;)

That’s good to know! I’m really excited to get up and running with mine it’s just that I’m always going to be a one cartridge at a time guy and so I really do want to get everything that’s in the Opus out of it before I do the switch. I’m also considering another small upgrade to the tt at the same time but I’ll reveal that nearer the time 😂

..........on a side note @Joe Mac, consider setting the Hana to 800 ohms when you get to it, it does wonders for the sound and on the Linton's ;)

Cheers! My phono does go there so I’ll be sure to give that a go, especially as we have very similar amplification and the same speakers!

That’s good to know! I’m really excited to get up and running with mine it’s just that I’m always going to be a one cartridge at a time guy and so I really do want to get everything that’s in the Opus out of it before I do the switch. I’m also considering another small upgrade to the tt at the same time but I’ll reveal that nearer the time 😂
I'm with you, if I hadn't fallen into these samples I'd be on the same path............more or less ;)

I have an Ortofon 2M Blue on a Pioneer PLX-1000 and a Hana SL on a VPI Traveler. I like both carts, but the Hana is clearly superior. I like the 2M Blue more on the PLX than I did when it was on the Traveler. The Hana is going to stay, but I may replace the Ortofon when the stylus wears out. Thinking about the Nagaoka MP-200 or Hana EH as the next replacement.

Goldring G1042 (MM)

There are times when I find myself lacking in good descriptors and end up with “It’s just right”, I found myself in that situation with the Goldring G1042, it’s also the first cart that really made me think about its place among carts with a similar price point.

View attachment 107987

The G1042 is nicely detailed, the bass is deep and smooth without being overly “heavy” and the high end never came across as shrill or harsh. It has an overall pleasing relaxed delivery making listening sessions go on for hours without much fatigue. The soundstage gives amazing life to jazz music, each instrument comes across with very accurate tonal clarity and well positioned within the track. Listening to some Dave Brubeck you could close your eyes and place him on the piano set back in the recording session and off to one side. Classical music is stunning with strings just coming to life, with the music filling your listening space with both rich and full sound. Singer songwriters’ voices were amazingly accurate and smooth, snares and percussion were superbly accurate, but also well placed depending on the quality of the recording/pressing. Classic Rock, Alt Rock, Indy and everything in between fell perfectly into place sonically without much effort, everything I listened to over the 70+ hours with this cart was pleasing to the ears.

The G1042 is an amazing tracker, doesn’t miss a beat across both new and “well loved” vinyl, over both I didn’t find it struggling at all with any of my pressings. The noise floor is exceptionally low while retaining detail. Effortless is a good word to use when it comes to the G1042, I really found myself just sitting back and enjoying the music, not being distracted by “observation”, is this to hot, too warm, too bright, it was well balanced tonally and………just right. Let’s be clear though, there is no magic cart that will make poor pressing or mastering sound better than they are, so keep things in the proper perspective.

View attachment 107988

I think the thing that really struck a chord with me was where this cart fits, who would enjoy this cart, who needs this cart and why. In a sea of so many choices I came to the following “opinions”. If you have a moderate system running an “entry level” cart and have wanted to make big jumps into “high end”, even possibly into moving coil territory, but just can’t, or don’t want, to spend the money, let me offer this explanation while you reflect on the prowess of the G1042. I’ve found over time that I do enjoy MC carts but have also found that the real meat of the MC universe is a little beyond the entry level MC offerings. The other wrinkle to the MC universe is gear, you can’t toss an MC cart into just any system, it has pre-requisites that usually come with added expense. All that being said, I can see putting a G1042 into “most” systems and calling it a day. If you’re not one who gets the “itch” when it comes to cartridges you are most likely set for a good long time to just enjoy music as its presented sublimely to your ears.

The G1042 really sits at that doorway, it can bring you to that peak if you will and deliver an amazing experience. It’s not entry level, but it sits at an appealing price point when you take into consideration what it brings to the table audibly, which is fantastic, and your cost of use over time. Having a user replaceable stylus is a big plug and play plus for many users who don’t want the hassle of waiting for a replacement, retip or exchange.

I really like the G1042, not because it comes across as a“catch all” so to speak, but because it’s a wonderful sounding cart with a lot to offer, not only to your system, but your pocketbook. Make no mistake, it’s not a band aid, it is a wonderful solution for a lot of people who enjoy vinyl and want to get the most out of it without breaking the bank, I would also say that the G1042 is a great upgrade over going into entry level MC territory, again, if you want the most from your system without opening up that upgrade can of worms we so often get caught in, in this hobby.

I’ve really become a big fan of Goldring cartridges, starting with the E3, and can recommend the G1042 to anyone looking for more out of their gear and vinyl, regardless of where you sit on the upgrade path, the G1042 is well worth consideration.

I agree with all of this. It’s such a solid cart - I stumbled into it by way of (who else) @HiFi Guy when I was using the Rega preamp and needed a higher output MM. I started at the lower end cart stylus and eventually upgraded to the G1042 and haven’t looked back. It gets a little fussy on set up with regard to a little IGD on late tracks, but you can pass that with adjustment. It’s a tracking beast, and once you get past the low ride (and friends, it is low) it’s a tracking beast.

I keep my system at sort of the high-end of middle of the road (Goldring 1042-PLX1000 with the usual tweaks-Sutherland Insight-Rega-B&W) with no real interest in moving to the fussier end of the MC and I really agree with your idea that this is a great MM sitting around the cap of that particular range.

BC3EF0A4-FCF2-477F-ADE5-20BBE5DB7726.jpeg
Goldring E3 has been on my Cliffwood this week!

Noticed some additional sibilance on my VPI/Grado Green w/ 8MZ, sounded like it was headed toward the end of its life. Got just about exactly a year’s worth of service on it, which I think for a heavier spin year with being home so much is about to be expected.

I, like @AnthonyI am quite impressed with the cost to performance on the E3. In comparison to the Grado sound, it is definitely a more composed cartridge. The low end impact is quite impressive, it thumps! Compared to Grado’s profile, the low end feels tighter, but not necessarily bigger or better. The Grado has this musical looseness to it that just flows. The top end is definitely more together on the Goldring, a bit more exciting, but not quite as sweet. The E3 is definitely a better tracker, particularly on inner grooves. My brain, as my Grado is a 2nd gen, immediately goes to the curiosity of how a 3rd gen would handle sibilance in comparison, which was my one gripe with it. Maybe an Opus3 is next…

I don’t have experience with the AT VM95 series, but I hear they’re quite similar, so the ML is another one I’d love to try. I’m a sucker for top end clarity and definition, so I’d love to see if there’s an increase there without sacrificing too much of the low end impact that the E3 has. I will say that I think my favorite top end on a cart (I only have experience with MM’s) is still the Ortofon 2M Blue, but it’s just so lean in all other frequencies.

The E3 is a mucho enjoyable listen. A no brainer for the price tag, and I believe I’m seeing replacement styli are down to $95 now in the US? It packs a punch, it boogies, it handles the sensitive stuff with feeling. It’s very together while being expressive. It may not be the be all end all, but I think it’s a great one to have on hand, particularly if you have other carts without user replaceable styli.

Goldring E3 has been on my Cliffwood this week!

Noticed some additional sibilance on my VPI/Grado Green w/ 8MZ, sounded like it was headed toward the end of its life. Got just about exactly a year’s worth of service on it, which I think for a heavier spin year with being home so much is about to be expected.

I, like @AnthonyI am quite impressed with the cost to performance on the E3. In comparison to the Grado sound, it is definitely a more composed cartridge. The low end impact is quite impressive, it thumps! Compared to Grado’s profile, the low end feels tighter, but not necessarily bigger or better. The Grado has this musical looseness to it that just flows. The top end is definitely more together on the Goldring, a bit more exciting, but not quite as sweet. The E3 is definitely a better tracker, particularly on inner grooves. My brain, as my Grado is a 2nd gen, immediately goes to the curiosity of how a 3rd gen would handle sibilance in comparison, which was my one gripe with it. Maybe an Opus3 is next…

I don’t have experience with the AT VM95 series, but I hear they’re quite similar, so the ML is another one I’d love to try. I’m a sucker for top end clarity and definition, so I’d love to see if there’s an increase there without sacrificing too much of the low end impact that the E3 has. I will say that I think my favorite top end on a cart (I only have experience with MM’s) is still the Ortofon 2M Blue, but it’s just so lean in all other frequencies.

The E3 is a mucho enjoyable listen. A no brainer for the price tag, and I believe I’m seeing replacement styli are down to $95 now in the US? It packs a punch, it boogies, it handles the sensitive stuff with feeling. It’s very together while being expressive. It may not be the be all end all, but I think it’s a great one to have on hand, particularly if you have other carts without user replaceable styli.
Our parallel gear paths amuse me.

Heck yeah! Definitely wanna hear your E3 thoughts!
I like it, got a terrific deal from Juno in the UK. My impressions are similar to yours. It replaced a Gold3, which was very musical/pleasant. The two carts are similar, although the E3 is a little bolder and more detailed, with tighter bass than the Gold3, which was a little more laid-back and forgiving. And the E3 does seem to track better, maybe because it was very easy to set up correctly? Oddly, although the E3 specs indicate a lower output than the Gold3, the E3 is louder at the same volume setting on my amp. Overall I agree, the E3 packs a punch that I really enjoy, especially for the price. And I chose it over the 95ML precisely because I found such a good deal.

Back