Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

As much as I'm still curious about the ML, the Mastertracker just keeps my wondering eyes in check.
I did some really specific critical listening with streaming vs my UD, and the UD+MT is more detailed and more defined. And that was using Glass Animals - Zaba, which is a great master on a lackluster pressing. But the vinyl detail was still there.

As much as I'm still curious about the ML, the Mastertracker just keeps my wondering eyes in check.
I did some really specific critical listening with streaming vs my UD, and the UD+MT is more detailed and more defined. And that was using Glass Animals - Zaba, which is a great master on a lackluster pressing. But the vinyl detail was still there.
Oh, I'm with you on the curiosity for sure, I just have to be strong and stay within my budget as far as a cartridge is concerned, taking replacement cost into consideration as well. The Hana's at the top end of the budget, so I'm hoping for a good experience :)

I’m currently running an Ortofon 2M Bronze on a Technics SL1210MK2. Have had it a couple of years (came with my Linn LP12 which I no longer use), it’s had pretty constant use and still sounds ok but I’m weighing up my options for a next move.

My thoughts on options:

1. Replace the stylus on the 2M Bronze.
2. Upgrade to a 2M Black via stylus replacement.
3. Go for the AT 540ML.
4. Goldring 1042 - I’m going to take my old 1042 off my Linn Axis, put it on a headshell and give it a try. If it’s ok then consider a new stylus at some point - think that comes in at a similar cost to the 2M Bronze.

I’d like to sell the LP12, so at the least need to give it its headshell back but do wonder if it having the Ortofon back on makes it more saleable (only needs a stylus rather than a whole new cart).

I’m trying to get my head round the relativity of my options. Is the Black a huge improvement over the Bronze? It’s my most expensive option. How do the AT and Goldring compare to the Ortofons? Anyone have any experience?

I’m currently running an Ortofon 2M Bronze on a Technics SL1210MK2. Have had it a couple of years (came with my Linn LP12 which I no longer use), it’s had pretty constant use and still sounds ok but I’m weighing up my options for a next move.

My thoughts on options:

3. Go for the AT 540ML.
4. Goldring 1042 - I’m going to take my old 1042 off my Linn Axis, put it on a headshell and give it a try. If it’s ok then consider a new stylus at some point - think that comes in at a similar cost to the 2M Bronze.

I’d like to sell the LP12, so at the least need to give it its headshell back but do wonder if it having the Ortofon back on makes it more saleable (only needs a stylus rather than a whole new cart).

I’m trying to get my head round the relativity of my options. Is the Black a huge improvement over the Bronze? It’s my most expensive option. How do the AT and Goldring compare to the Ortofons? Anyone have any experience?
I have a question- you went from an LP-12 to an SL-1200 Mk II? What made you make the switch? I can see the Technics being easier to set up correctly and likely easier to live with long term. How about sound quality?

My thoughts on options:

3. Go for the AT 540ML.

Hifi Squarepants posts lots of great videos and does a nice job of capturing needle-drops. Maybe these will give some insight.
Pat

I have a question- you went from an LP-12 to an SL-1200 Mk II? What made you make the switch? I can see the Technics being easier to set up correctly and likely easier to live with long term. How about sound quality?
The LP12 had been a long-time want of mine, but I’d started to become curious about the new 1210s as well. I’d been considering buying the latter when a keenly priced LP12 came up locally, with a variable speed box so I bought that.

In all honesty I just never quite took to it. I didn’t think it was the jump in quality that I maybe hoped for, plus there’s a low hum that I’ve never been able to get rid of.

The 1210MK2 turned up locally at an ok price so thought I’d give it a go. No hum, totally reliable speed, good sound. I’ve just found it an overall more satisfying experience. I could maybe sort out various things with the LP12, but don’t really want to spend money on it when I’m happy with the 1210.

The LP12 had been a long-time want of mine, but I’d started to become curious about the new 1210s as well. I’d been considering buying the latter when a keenly priced LP12 came up locally, with a variable speed box so I bought that.

In all honesty I just never quite took to it. I didn’t think it was the jump in quality that I maybe hoped for, plus there’s a low hum that I’ve never been able to get rid of.

The 1210MK2 turned up locally at an ok price so thought I’d give it a go. No hum, totally reliable speed, good sound. I’ve just found it an overall more satisfying experience. I could maybe sort out various things with the LP12, but don’t really want to spend money on it when I’m happy with the 1210.
I'd been hankering after an LP12 for a while now, but I actually think the Lenco will do me nicely, at least for now. I always worried that the LP12 would just be a rabbit hole of upgrade cost in the pursuit of a better sound. Do look nice though...

I like that the 1210 just works. No fiddling, no considering upgrades. The LP12 is very upgradable, so there’s a risk it never ends!

I may give it another try. I think I’d built it up too much in my head, I just didn’t get any “wow factor” from it. Maybe someone else would enjoy it a lot more!

I like that the 1210 just works. No fiddling, no considering upgrades. The LP12 is very upgradable, so there’s a risk it never ends!

I may give it another try. I think I’d built it up too much in my head, I just didn’t get any “wow factor” from it. Maybe someone else would enjoy it a lot more!
I always knew I was going to be buying one at the lower end of condition etc., as there was no way I was prepared to spend over £1,000 for one. For the £250 all-in for my Lenco I'm pretty confident I have a table that's as good, and that I can upgrade for significantly cheaper.

If the 1200 Mk2 was a car... it would be a "street appearance package" Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. (Which I owned and drove for 3 years.) Manufactured seemingly forever, 100% about FUNCTION, able to chase down and PIT maneuver most cars (and trucks) on the road, tough as nails (rated to take a 75 mph rear-end collision) and mix of low tech/high tech as appropriate to do the job. (port injected overhead cam V8, rack and pinion steering, unequal length control arm front suspension on a massive cast aluminum cradle, all sitting on a truck frame with solid rear axel)

Pat

My thoughts on options:

3. Go for the AT 540ML.

Paging @Mather re the 2M Black. He runs it currently and miiiiight have an opinion in the subject...

My thoughts on options:

3. Go for the AT 540ML.

My upgrade path was Ort 2M Silver -> Bronze -> Black and I'm running a Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB and this is the only system I have experience with, so I'm pretty limited in my scope obviously. Here's what I'll say... on perfect pressings, I cannot imagine anything in a similar price range sounding better than the 2M Black. It's completely neutral to a fault which I like, however it's absolutely the pickiest cart I can ever imagine in terms of it will illuminate and amplify every single pressing fault of any vinyl you have that isn't a dead perfect pressing. It's absolute heaven on good pressings and the natural tone that comes through, the sustain on cymbals, the stage, the imaging, is otherworldly for a MM cart. But it's very much a 2 way street...

Last edited:
My upgrade path was Ort 2M Silver -> Bronze -> Black and I'm running a Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB and this is the only system I have experience with, so I'm pretty limited in my scope obviously. Here's what I'll say... on perfect pressings, I cannot imagine anything in a similar price range sounding better than the 2M Black. It's completely neutral to a fault which I like, however it's absolutely the pickiest cart I can ever imagine in terms of it will illuminate and amplify every single pressing fault of any vinyl you have that isn't a dead perfect pressing. It's absolute heaven on good pressings and the natural tone that comes through, the sustain on cymbals, the stage, the imaging, is otherworldly for a MM cart. But it's very much a 2 way street...
Thanks for insight! And thanks to everyone else for input. I decided that the 2M Black was out of budget at the moment.

Pulled the trigger on an AT 540ML last night - whole cart costs about the same as a new stylus for the 2M Bronze and the Goldring. I do have the Goldring on at the moment, though, and it's likely to continue to get a bit of use.

I agree with you @psemeraro, the 1210 is an absolute workhorse. Would absolutely recommend.

The AT VM540ML turned up today. First impressions are good, though I'm not sure how to really describe it! Decent separation, picks up the bass quite well, rides through some pops and clicks less noticeably than the 2M Bronze - must be a benefit of the micro line needle.

The AT VM540ML turned up today. First impressions are good, though I'm not sure how to really describe it! Decent separation, picks up the bass quite well, rides through some pops and clicks less noticeably than the 2M Bronze - must be a benefit of the micro line needle.
I always found the Bronze to have two attributes:

It sounded a bit bright- too hot on the high end.

Combined with the fact that it sounded mechanical. It sounded like it was doing something. I prefer a cartridge that sounds like nothing- one I forget about. I prefer listening to music over cartridges.

I’d equate it to the difference between an LP and a CD. To me, the two formats sound different. The Bronze always reminded me of digital.

Your new A/T is more my speed. It’s a great value in its price range (and above). And I think it’s a far better cartridge than the Bronze. Give it 20-25 hours to break in and see if you disagree.

I really like the ML stylus too. It’s probably the best balance of detail (without being analytical like the Bronze) and surface noise rejection. It tracks well to boot.

that reminds me i am getting the ortofon 2M blue from @Lord Diaper Baby soon... so i'll get to see what that is.. thankfully there is only like 100 hours out of the 1K recommended and i think i might need to have gotten a new cartridge soon anyway because i am getting a good amount of static on my LPs even after a cleaning so i think my stylus is wearing out (probably because i only got a stylus cleaner like 3 months ago)
1000 hours on an elliptical stylus is pure fantasy. 250 - 350 is more realistic. Those numbers are supported by Jico, Nagoaka, any other manufacturer that is honest, and lots of microscope photos. I have strong feelings about this and believe it is one of the uglier parts of this hobby that some manufacturers "suggest" stylus life hours that are demonstrably untrue.
Pat

1000 hours on an elliptical stylus is pure fantasy. 250 - 350 is more realistic. Those numbers are supported by Jico, Nagoaka, any other manufacturer that is honest, and lots of microscope photos. I have strong feelings about this and believe it is one of the uglier parts of this hobby that some manufacturers "suggest" stylus life hours that are demonstrably untrue.
Pat
Thanks for killing by vibe

So I have to spend 200 bucks every few hundred records

Back