Phish

While your at it @zdkaiser has cd book after cd book of live phish he could burn for you! 🤣😉Mostly soundboards, if I remember correctly but I usually don’t. 97 is funktastic.

So many starting points, but mine would be the “Went Gin,” which I’m partial to for a few reasons, one of which is that I was there and it was epic in the moment, and, unlike many great Phish jams that blend into each other over time, still stands out every time I hear it. Next, the “Phish Destroys America” compilation from 1997 is on YouTube, and I can share most/all in MP3 if anyone wants it.

Last edited:
So many starting points, but mine would be the “Went Gin,” which I’m partial to for a few reasons, one of which is that I was there and it was epic in the moment, and, unlike many great Phish jams that blend into each other over time, still stands out every time I hear it. Next, the “Phish Destroys America” compilation from 1997 is on YouTube, and I can share most/all in MP3 if anyone wants it.

I’m not a 1.0 Dick bc I like every era a lot, but I also don’t own a single Phish studio album. I owned them all in the 90s through Billy Breathes, but I always gravitated towards live material on tapes and then the initial Live Phish series. I had the whole first big set and the notebook with the horrible poly sleeves that eventually glued to and ruined the discs. What a dumb fucking design.

But, if I had to rank a top 3 Phish studio albums, I’d go w/ Junta, Rift, and then Farmhouse. With Round Room a very close 4th. I think Rift is their best “album” in the way it ties together thematically and otherwise.

I’m not a 1.0 Dick bc I like every era a lot, but I also don’t own a single Phish studio album. I owned them all in the 90s through Billy Breathes, but I always gravitated towards live material on tapes and then the initial Live Phish series. I had the whole first big set and the notebook with the horrible poly sleeves that eventually glued to and ruined the discs. What a dumb fucking design.

But, if I had to rank a top 3 Phish studio albums, I’d go w/ Junta, Rift, and then Farmhouse. With Round Room a very close 4th. I think Rift is their best “album” in the way it ties together thematically and otherwise.
Every time I listen to Rift I am more amazed at what they accomplished in the studio at that stage of their career. Really such an interesting and intricate album that never disappoints.

I love Billy Breathes too, but particularly the backside of that album. Talk -> Prince Caspian is, well, bliss.

Same thing happened to mine! I was so pissed when I pulled them out of a box a few years back. I always wondered if it was something I did in storing them over the years, but sounds like maybe it wasn't just me.

Now they pay like $600 for them to urinate in their ears for 3 nights in a row, and they happily lap it up.
Ahem - 4 nights in a row!

I was trying to calculate how much my wife and I have given them at this point. NYE will be 60 for me, 54 for her.

With an average ticket price of $75 and merch/posters, it’s easily over $10K and I’m perfectly OK with that.

My Phish Starting point was Lawn Boy; “Reba”, “Split Open And Melt”, “Bathtub Gin”, “Run Like An Antelope” and especially “Bouncing Around The Room” are fantastic tracks though the album as a whole is a bit of a hodgepodge.

If I was trying to recommend an album to someone wanting to see what all of the fuss was about, I would probably go Farmhouse, Hoist, or Billy Breathes.

@MikeH

Don't waste your time with anything after Round Room, imo.

i disagree. sigma oasis is one of their better studio albums and, imo, is as close to how phish actually sounds as a band than any other record in their catalog. it's not their best, but it is worthy of some listens and was a pleasant surprise from them after a run of truly underwhelming albums.

Back