Online Vinyl Deals

Does anyone own this? What're thoughts?
I've also considering buying this box set because I think Cole's piano playing is very underrated and overshadowed by his later singing career.

I think the key to understanding this set is this:

In the 1930s-1940s "local stations subscribed to various transcription services that supplied them with whole libraries of recorded music. Starting in September 1938, Cole and his new trio began picking up quick cash by dashing off a dozen or more tracks in an hour or two for these libraries."

Of the nearly 200 selections on Hittin’ The Ramp, almost 150 are transcription pieces.

See: Camp & Class Converge on Nat ‘King’ Cole’s ‘Hittin’ The Ramp: The Early Years (1936–1943)’

Does anyone own this? What're thoughts?
I own it and really enjoy it. The set is very well done. The caveat that I would add: make sure that this era is your taste and understand that the sound quality (though IIRC, overall quite good) isn’t 1950s Blue Note, Music Matters, etc. and isn’t anything like the AP sets (Love is the Thing, etc)

Second disclaimer: I love me some Nat King Cole, I’m pretty biased as a result, and the history and progression of his music and career are a fundamental part of the way I “hear” the music.

$65 shipping to Canada on a $49 box set really kills the magic.
giphy.gif

25% off at rappcats includes the VMP Zamrock anthology:

Code: VINYL

Dang! Looks like I've got Oldies, Fuzz Club and a pre-code VMP order all landing today (and all from different carriers!) Hopefully a Juno order too that I ordered the day before the order I got last Wednesday.

When it rains it pours!

Dammit! Our building's door buzzer isn't working so I missed the FedEx guy. Now I have to wait 26 hours and go to an inconvenient location to pick up my ridiculous box of Fuzz Club goodies. 😥

Back