Online Vinyl Deals

That BSS album is one I could just never get into… not even sure why 🤷🏼‍♂️
33738F63-CD3D-4E8B-B464-6BF7DCCD5DFF.gif

Seriously though I think it’s one of those records that might not click with everyone right away but if enjoyed within the right context you can really connect with it and once that magic is unlocked there’s no going back.

View attachment 147731

Seriously though I think it’s one of those records that might not click with everyone right away but if enjoyed within the right context you can really connect with it and once that magic is unlocked there’s no going back.
I had the album and sold it as it didn’t work for me. But then I found individual tracks trickling in via discover weekly and radio playlists on Spotify, and before I knew it I had “hearted” half the album. Revisited and the magic had been released.

View attachment 147731

I had the album and sold it as it didn’t work for me. But then I found individual tracks trickling in via discover weekly and radio playlists on Spotify, and before I knew it I had “hearted” half the album. Revisited and the magic had been released.
Yeah it’s been at least a couple years since I gave it a try. Might be time to revisit with an open mind!

I remember reading about them in Spin and seeing a write up on Pitchfork as the buzz was building but the album first began to really connect with me was when I caught the video for “Cause=Time” on MTV2’s Subterranean at like 2AM sitting around my apartment alone high as fuck. The next day I downloaded the whole album are listened to incessantly for the rest of the summer.

I'm irked my brain hasn't let loose with YFIIP yet. Like, Anthem for a Seventeen Year-Old Girl is a rare perfect song (if we ever did a Top 50 songs list here it's a no doubter inclusion to me), and I think around Pacific Theme it picks up, but I'm still waiting for that listen where the whole thing just hits me and I fall in love with the album.

That BSS album is one I could just never get into… not even sure why 🤷🏼‍♂️
The problem I had with BSS albums was it just sounded too damn cluttered for me. They were packing in (what seemed to be) excessive instrumentation and musicians in on a single song and it just sounded like a muddy mess at times. I ended up being more drawn to solo Kevin Drew songs and also one solo Brendan Canning album. Granted those albums are packed full of musicians as well. Maybe my recollection is completely off. It's been years since I played a BSS album.

The problem I had with BSS albums was it just sounded too damn cluttered for me. They were packing in (what seemed to be) excessive instrumentation and musicians in on a single song and it just sounded like a muddy mess at times. I ended up being more drawn to solo Kevin Drew songs and also one solo Brendan Canning album. Granted those albums are packed full of musicians as well. Maybe my recollection is completely off. It's been years since I played a BSS album.

Some of their instrumentation could be construed as experimental or avant-garde in places, not unlike Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, so that's a typical response to it I'd say. Like anything that's kinda weird, it takes time to adapt.

Lots of excellent parts that make up the sum whole that is BSS. My favorite was Jason Collette his solo albums are some of my favorite from that era.

Lots of excellent parts that make up the sum whole that is BSS. My favorite was Jason Collette his solo albums are some of my favorite from that era.
Jason Collette I remember being really good, Amy Milan as well.

For me I think "Set Yourself on Fire" by Stars was my favourite...first two Metric albums next.

Jason Collette I remember being really good, Amy Milan as well.

For me I think "Set Yourself on Fire" by Stars was my favourite...first two Metric albums next.
Set Yourself on Fire is one of my constant repeats. It's a CD-R from college that still gets played in the car. Metric came from Scott Pilgrim v World OST... Now that's a soundtrack I need to own on vinyl.

Set Yourself on Fire is one of my constant repeats. It's a CD-R from college that still gets played in the car. Metric came from Scott Pilgrim v World OST... Now that's a soundtrack I need to own on vinyl.
I've seen it kicking around over the past year. Might be worth a search. Can't remember if it was an RSD release.

EDIT: Still some copies on (at least) Amazon Canada's site from third party vendors.
Amazon product ASIN B08PX93YTB

Last edited:
I've seen it kicking around over the past year. Might be worth a search. Can't remember if it was an RSD release.

EDIT: Still some copies on (at least) Amazon Canada's site from third party vendors.
Amazon product ASIN B08PX93YTB
There's a 4LP picture disc version that has the soundtrack (featuring a lot of Beck) and the score composed by Nigel Godrich. I have both in mp3 but kinda want the physical media too. Edgar Wright vouches for it so I'm not worried about it being a picture version and all.

Amazon product ASIN B08PXHL7Z9

Back