Online Vinyl Deals

Heres more a request, perhaps i should have considered where to post this....
Ive got two Van Morrison Records. Astral Weeks and Veedon Fleece, but theres a load more hidden gems. So any recommendations, also deals can be posted. A little backwards for the thread but hey......
Van suffers from being too prolific. There are many that can’t be missed, many more that are just alright, and it really depends on which Van phase you prefer:

His soul period, you really can’t go wrong. His stretch from Moondance to Saint Dominic’s Preview is fantastic. Start with Moondance, it’s seminal. His next, His Band and the Street Choir, is, IMO, just fine, but nothing Moondance didn’t do better (except Domino). Tupelo Honey he starts to stretch out into more mystical territory, which he perfected the blend on his next, Saint Dominic’s Preview. If you want just a nice summation of this period, get Moondance and It’s Too Late to Stop Now, one of the best live albums ever recorded. Hell, start with the live set, it’s the Van Morrison album that gets the most play from me.

His next stretch of albums was a little more iffy. Veedon Fleece you already own. The next truly great Van album he released is Into the Music, and it’s a stunner. A couple of the songs on the first side have a bit of an Irish feel to them, and it’s great, but the second side is transcendental from start to finish. Wavelength is alright, but gets a lot of props too.

After Into the Music, released some more albums (No Guru No Method No Teacher is the best of them), until he released Avalon Sunset in 1989. More on the lush side, Avalon Sunset contains Have I Told You Lately, which Rod Stewart covered (though Van’s is 1000x superior). Enlightenment he released next, and it’s every bit as good as Avalon Sunset.

In my opinion, the rest of his albums after Enlightenment haven’t done much for me, like I said, he is far too prolific. Hell, he released what, 3 albums in the last 2 years?

Hope this helps some!

I agree, go for It’s Too Late To Stop Now. It’s available at a reasonable price and one of the best live albums ever.

Van suffers from being too prolific. There are many that can’t be missed, many more that are just alright, and it really depends on which Van phase you prefer:

His soul period, you really can’t go wrong. His stretch from Moondance to Saint Dominic’s Preview is fantastic. Start with Moondance, it’s seminal. His next, His Band and the Street Choir, is, IMO, just fine, but nothing Moondance didn’t do better (except Domino). Tupelo Honey he starts to stretch out into more mystical territory, which he perfected the blend on his next, Saint Dominic’s Preview. If you want just a nice summation of this period, get Moondance and It’s Too Late to Stop Now, one of the best live albums ever recorded. Hell, start with the live set, it’s the Van Morrison album that gets the most play from me.

His next stretch of albums was a little more iffy. Veedon Fleece you already own. The next truly great Van album he released is Into the Music, and it’s a stunner. A couple of the songs on the first side have a bit of an Irish feel to them, and it’s great, but the second side is transcendental from start to finish. Wavelength is alright, but gets a lot of props too.

After Into the Music, released some more albums (No Guru No Method No Teacher is the best of them), until he released Avalon Sunset in 1989. More on the lush side, Avalon Sunset contains Have I Told You Lately, which Rod Stewart covered (though Van’s is 1000x superior). Enlightenment he released next, and it’s every bit as good as Avalon Sunset.

In my opinion, the rest of his albums after Enlightenment haven’t done much for me, like I said, he is far too prolific. Hell, he released what, 3 albums in the last 2 years?

Hope this helps some!
Thanks - thats perfect info, gonna get live Album, Moondance and Into the Music based on your Van ears :)

They are all great, i’d Swap Into The Music For St Dominic’s Preview but they are both 5 star. Did you get Veedon Fleece from VMP?

Indeed and i love it !
I know a fair few Van tunes of course, just never really had the itch to get a vinyl collection going (so i had Astral weeks only) but Im well past that now. :)

Indeed and i love it !
I know a fair few Van tunes of course, just never really had the itch to get a vinyl collection going (so i had Astral weeks only) but Im well past that now. :)

The two you have are atypical of his work in many ways. Common One and Beautiful Vision are also worth grabbing but I couldn’t give an overview as clear and concise as @Sonicpharmacist just did. Days Like This I have a soft spot for as it coincided with my first concert (which was Van) and the end of the Troubles here in Northern Ireland with an upbeat collection. Listening to it again lately I still rate it.

Hope this helps some!
My favourite is Poetic Champions Compose. It’s a brilliant album from start to finish.

Back